In which direction ball will move?

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a ball experiencing uniform motion due to inertia and gravitational force acting downwards in perpendicular directions. The question is posed as to which direction the ball will move under these conditions, and it is suggested that trigonometry can be used to solve it. It is also mentioned that the ball will move in a net direction, but the specific direction is unknown. The conversation also addresses the rules for posting homework questions and suggests using a homework template to provide a clear and organized explanation.
ash64449
hello friends, a ball experiences uniform motion due to inertia and gravitational force which is acting downwards. Both these forces are perpendicular. So given these conditions,in which direction the ball will move? I think with the help of trigonometry we can solve this.. Since there are two direction force are acting,i think ball will move in net direction.. But i don't know which net direction...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum. I see you are a first time poster. Can you check the rules for posting homework questions...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=617567

In particular please post the whole question as set and an attempt at the solution.

EDIT: There are several ways to answer your question as posed. The simplest is "In a parabolic arc".

Last edited:
CWatters said:
Welcome to the forum. I see you are a first time poster. Can you check the rules for posting homework questions...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=617567

In particular please post the whole question as set and an attempt at the solution.

EDIT: There are several ways to answer your question as posed. The simplest is "In a parabolic arc".

how to edit?? And i am in a mobile.but i didn't see any homework template..

You don't need to edit your first post. You can make a new one using the following headings..

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to clarify that the direction of motion of a ball is determined by the net force acting on it. In this scenario, the ball is experiencing two perpendicular forces - inertia and gravitational force. In order to determine the net direction of motion, we can use the principles of vector addition to find the resultant force. This can be achieved by using trigonometry and calculating the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. Once we know the direction of the resultant force, we can determine the direction in which the ball will move. It is important to note that the direction of motion of the ball will be in the direction of the resultant force, as it is the net force acting on the ball.

1. What factors determine the direction a ball will move in?

The direction a ball will move in is primarily determined by the angle at which it is hit or thrown, as well as any external forces acting upon it, such as gravity or air resistance.

2. Can the direction a ball moves in be predicted accurately?

The direction a ball will move in can be predicted with a certain degree of accuracy, but there are always external factors that may affect the trajectory of the ball.

3. How does the shape of a ball affect its direction of movement?

The shape of a ball can greatly influence its direction of movement. A spherical ball will typically roll in a straight line, while a non-spherical ball may have a more unpredictable trajectory.

4. Is the direction a ball moves in affected by the surface it is on?

Yes, the surface that a ball is on can greatly impact its direction of movement. For example, a ball may bounce or roll differently on a smooth surface compared to a rough surface.

5. Is the direction a ball moves in affected by the speed at which it is moving?

Yes, the speed at which a ball is moving can affect its direction. The faster a ball is moving, the more force it will have and the further it will travel in the chosen direction.