Do we do informal assessment in Physics Classroom?

In summary: This will help you organize your questions and make sure you cover all the material. In summary, informal assessments can be helpful in assessing student knowledge and understanding. You should be asking the same questions on the formal and informal assessment.
piareround
Right now, I am in student in graduate school MAT program, so I can be come a high school physics teacher. One of the things I am really struggling with is understanding and applying informal assessments.

1. Beyond simple student feedback, does anyone know of concrete examples of informal assessment in physics education? Is their a specific type of informal assessment you use an educator?
  2. During the informal assessment, do you use a checklist, rating scale, anedotal notes to record observations? Can you give an example or broad template of what a informal assessment checklist/rating scale/outline might look like for a science class or physics class?
  3. What are your thoughts on using informal assessments in the classroom? Do you see specific advantages or limitations?

I feel like if I had an example of an informal assessment in science or an example of how a science teacher documents their informal student observations, I would not struggle with this topic as much as I have so far this semester.

I am really interested in informal assessments. Eventually, I would like create an informal assessment to help grow my future students critical thinking skills. Can you guys help me better understand informal assessment in the contexts of physics education?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
umm... did I post this in the wrong thread again?
I meant the teacher education forums of PF, but its gets confusing sometimes with the differences between Homework, Career Advice, etc.

I'm not following you- are you referring to assessing the students or the instructor? Also, what is the difference between a 'formal' and 'informal' assessment?

Formal assessment is a test/exam. Informal assessment is asking them a question to see if they know the answer. Without actually answering your question, I'll offer advice.

Your informal assessment should be the same as your formal assessment. If you ask a question to assess their knowledge/understanding, then ask the same question on the formal assessment. This works vice versa. If you ask a question on the test/exam, you should have asked the same question informally apriori. For students, this will reinforce their knowledge and understanding and make clear that anything you ask them is knowledge they will use in the future (on the exam/test.)

Now to answer #2...
You should be reading off the test you will give them.

As a scientist and educator, I can say that informal assessment is a crucial aspect of any classroom, particularly in a subject like physics where students need to be able to think critically and apply their knowledge in various situations. Informal assessments are not necessarily formal tests or quizzes, but rather they are ongoing observations and evaluations of students' understanding and progress.

In a physics classroom, informal assessments can take many forms, such as class discussions, group activities, and hands-on experiments. These activities allow students to demonstrate their understanding and problem-solving skills in a more authentic and engaging manner. For example, a teacher may ask students to explain a concept or solve a problem in a group discussion, and then observe and take notes on their thought processes and reasoning.

In terms of recording observations, a teacher may use a variety of methods such as checklists, rating scales, and anecdotal notes. For instance, a teacher may use a checklist to track students' understanding of specific concepts or a rating scale to assess their problem-solving skills. Anecdotal notes, on the other hand, can be used to document any observations or insights the teacher has about the students' progress.

One of the main advantages of using informal assessments is that they provide immediate feedback to both the teacher and the students. This allows for adjustments to be made in teaching strategies and helps students to identify their areas of strength and weakness. Additionally, informal assessments can also promote a more student-centered learning environment, where students are actively involved in their own learning process.

However, it is important to note that informal assessments should not be the sole means of evaluating students' understanding and progress. They should be used in conjunction with formal assessments, such as tests and quizzes, to provide a more comprehensive evaluation of students' learning.

In terms of creating your own informal assessments, I would suggest looking at examples from other science teachers or attending professional development workshops on the topic. Additionally, you can also collaborate with other educators to create assessments that align with your specific teaching goals and objectives.

Overall, informal assessments in a physics classroom can be a valuable tool for promoting critical thinking and enhancing student learning. By using a variety of methods to observe and evaluate students' understanding, teachers can gain a better understanding of their students' progress and make necessary adjustments to ensure their success. I hope this helps in your understanding of informal assessments in the context of physics education.

1. What is informal assessment in Physics Classroom?

Informal assessment in Physics Classroom refers to any form of assessment that is not standardized or graded. It can be used to gather information about student understanding and progress in a more casual and unstructured manner, such as through class discussions, observations, or self-reflection activities.

2. Why is informal assessment important in Physics Classroom?

Informal assessment allows teachers to obtain a more comprehensive understanding of their students' learning and identify areas for improvement. It also allows for more immediate and ongoing feedback, which can help students to better understand and retain the material.

3. What are some examples of informal assessment in Physics Classroom?

Some examples of informal assessment in Physics Classroom include classroom discussions, exit tickets, concept maps, journaling, peer feedback, and observations of student behavior and engagement.

4. How can informal assessment be used to improve student learning in Physics Classroom?

Informal assessment can be used to identify areas where students may be struggling and adjust instruction accordingly. It can also provide valuable insights into student misconceptions and help teachers to tailor their teaching to better meet the needs of individual students.

5. Can informal assessment be used in conjunction with formal assessment in Physics Classroom?

Yes, informal assessment can be used alongside formal assessment to provide a more complete picture of student learning. While formal assessments are typically used to measure student achievement and understanding at specific points in time, informal assessment can provide ongoing and real-time feedback to inform instruction and support student learning.