Very depressed: 3d tomographic reconstruction

• Thread starter Kidphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d
In summary, the conversation was about using MATLAB to create a 3D picture from images taken by cameras mounted at different locations. The person asking for advice has not made progress as they are not familiar with MATLAB. They were directed to resources and books on the topic, and also suggested to look into tomography and Fourier analysis for a better understanding. The idea of creating a hands-on interactive science museum demo for tomography was also mentioned.
Kidphysics
So to get a better edge on our experiment my professor asked if I could take the pictures from cameras which are mounted at three different locations and use MATLAB to create a 3d picture. I have made no progress as I don't really even know MATLAB well. Is there any code or advice one can give?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Like all tough questions, someone somewhere has asked it before:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13852643/3d-model-in-matlab [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF.

Like all tough questions, someone somewhere has asked it before:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13852643/3d-model-in-matlab [Broken]

i knew there would be some giants who had some vacant shoulders

Last edited by a moderator:
A nice short very applied chapter on reconstructing 3d images from 3 2d cameras.

http://www.dspguide.com/ch25/5.htm

Looking at amazon.com for that title turns up that book and what looks like lots of other closely related books that look fascinating.

Or Google

tomography fourier

and look for the simplest mathematica description of what is behind this. Then you can consider Matlab implementation.

I've thought for a long time that it would be possible to build hands-on interactive science museum demo that used light beams and semitransparent objects placed on a rotating table to let people really understand what was behind tomography. Someone should do that.

I understand the importance of accurate and precise data in experiments. The use of 3d tomographic reconstruction in your experiment is a valuable tool for obtaining a better understanding of your subject. However, I understand your frustration with not being familiar with MATLAB and not making progress in your project.

My advice would be to seek out resources to help you learn MATLAB. There are many online tutorials, forums, and even courses that can provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to use the software effectively. Additionally, you can reach out to your professor or colleagues for guidance and support.

In terms of code, there are many available online that you can use as a starting point. However, it is important to understand the code and make any necessary modifications to fit your specific experiment. I would recommend consulting with someone who has experience in using MATLAB for 3d tomographic reconstruction to ensure the accuracy and reliability of your results.

Remember, as a scientist, it is crucial to have a strong foundation in the tools and methods used in your field of study. Don't be discouraged by the initial challenges, and continue to seek out resources and support to help you successfully complete your project.

1. What is a 3d tomographic reconstruction?

A 3d tomographic reconstruction is a technique used in medical imaging to create a 3-dimensional model of an object or body part using a series of 2-dimensional images taken from different angles.

2. How is 3d tomographic reconstruction used in diagnosing depression?

In diagnosing depression, 3d tomographic reconstruction can be used to create a 3-dimensional image of the brain, allowing doctors to visualize and analyze the structure and function of the brain in individuals with depression.

3. What is the benefit of using 3d tomographic reconstruction in studying depression?

The benefit of using 3d tomographic reconstruction in studying depression is that it provides a more accurate and detailed view of the brain compared to traditional 2-dimensional imaging techniques. This allows for a better understanding of the structural and functional changes associated with depression.

4. Are there any risks associated with 3d tomographic reconstruction?

Although 3d tomographic reconstruction is generally considered a safe imaging technique, there are some potential risks such as radiation exposure from the imaging process. However, the benefits of the information gained from the reconstruction often outweigh these risks.

5. How does 3d tomographic reconstruction compare to other imaging techniques in studying depression?

Compared to other imaging techniques, 3d tomographic reconstruction offers a more detailed and comprehensive view of the brain, allowing for a more accurate diagnosis and understanding of depression. It also allows for the tracking of changes in the brain over time, providing valuable information for treatment planning and monitoring.