Calculus for the practical man

In summary, the conversation discusses different calculus books and their effectiveness for self-study. Feynman's book is highly recommended, while the Spivak calculus series and Demidovich mathematical analysis book are also popular choices. The book "Calculus for the practical man" is also mentioned, with someone looking for a review of it.
theoristo
Is it a good first calculus book? Feynman used and liked it. it especially made for self study and that's what I need...did any of you use it? Is there something better?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak calculus series seems to be appreciated by a lot of people...If you want something for the computation drill, Demidovich mathematical analysis book is the all time classic, even though it is now considered quite "hardcore" by some. It also includes the basics of theory you need to solve the exercises. (Well, at least like first 10% of them, later exercises usually need some kind of a trick).

I have Spivak I'm saving it for later ...I need an intro book and I'm also looking for a review for 'Calculus for the practical man '? did anyone use it?

What is "Calculus for the practical man"?

"Calculus for the practical man" is a book written by J.E. Thompson, published in 1914. It is a practical and simplified guide to calculus, intended for readers who do not have a strong mathematical background.

Who is the target audience for "Calculus for the practical man"?

The target audience for "Calculus for the practical man" is individuals who are interested in learning the practical applications of calculus, but may not have a strong mathematical background.

What makes "Calculus for the practical man" different from other calculus textbooks?

"Calculus for the practical man" is unique in its approach to teaching calculus. It focuses on the practical applications of calculus rather than abstract concepts, making it more accessible to readers without a strong mathematical background.

Do I need to have prior knowledge of calculus to understand "Calculus for the practical man"?

While some basic understanding of algebra and geometry is helpful, "Calculus for the practical man" is written in a way that is easy for beginners to follow. It starts with the basics and builds upon them, making it accessible to readers with little to no prior knowledge of calculus.

What are some practical applications of calculus that are covered in "Calculus for the practical man"?

"Calculus for the practical man" covers a wide range of practical applications of calculus, including finding maximum and minimum values, optimization problems, and calculating areas and volumes of irregular shapes. It also includes real-life examples and exercises for readers to practice and apply their knowledge.