Adding a Transistor to Fade LED

In summary, adding a transistor between the LED and the driver to PWM and fade the LED may not be possible due to potential complications with the DC-DC module's feedback control loop. A better solution would be to create a boost-buck circuit with built-in dimming capabilities. Alternatively, switching a lower-voltage diode string in parallel with the LED may also be an option. The LED driver module is designed for limited niche applications and may not be suitable for PWM dimming.
thshen34
Would it be possible to add a transistor in between the LED and the driver, as shown in the application photos, to PWM and fade the LED with 0-5V logic (Assume the LED has a forward voltage of 3V)?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/component-led-accessories/led-driver-micropuck-dc-buck-boost-constant-current/1053/

Engineering news on Phys.org
thshen34 said:
Would it be possible to add a transistor in between the LED and the driver, as shown in the application photos, to PWM and fade the LED with 0-5V logic (Assume the LED has a forward voltage of 3V)?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/component-led-accessories/led-driver-micropuck-dc-buck-boost-constant-current/1053/

I would think probably not, at least not the PWM part. That DC-DC module's feedback control loop would likely be confused by any pulsing of the load impedance.

A better solution would be to make your own boost-buck (SEPIC) DC-DC circuit, and include the dimming capability in the circuit itself.

Likes 1 person
It's just an 8V buck/boost switching supply. You could probably PWM it just like you could for any switcher supplying LED's. If the switcher design is really crappy you may need to add a large output capacitor. I'd say give it a go.

I don't see where, in the app photo's, there is a transistor so I can't comment on a PWM circuit. There are PWM constant current drivers available like CAT4101.

thshen34 said:

The application sheet carries a note alongside the boost driver configuration (and also the buck/boost configuration): "LED must always be connected whenever power is applied!" I would be cautious about interrupting the LED current as it seems to be flying in the face of that warning. (But then again, nothing ventured, nothing gained. :smile:)

Perhaps you could, instead, switch a lower-voltage diode string in parallel with the LED to rob it of drive? If the puk's output is floating, a BJT switch may be tricky, though.

The drive is loosely pitched at a few hundred mA, while varying according to the supply voltage, is that how it works? It sounds like a limited niche module.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't open theapplications notes. Based on the applications note I'd say this is not a basic switcher. It is, as NO stated, a "limited niche driver". I was wrong. I don't think you should try without details of the internal design.

1. How does adding a transistor help in fading an LED?

Adding a transistor allows for a larger current to pass through the LED, which results in a brighter and smoother fade effect. It also helps to reduce the strain on the microcontroller by acting as a switch to control the LED's current.

2. What type of transistor should be used for fading an LED?

A common choice for fading an LED is a NPN transistor, such as the 2N3904 or 2N2222. These transistors are inexpensive and readily available, and can handle the current and voltage requirements for most LED fading projects.

3. How does the circuit for fading an LED with a transistor look like?

The circuit for fading an LED with a transistor typically consists of the LED, a resistor, a transistor, and a power source (such as a battery or a power supply). The LED is connected to the collector of the transistor, the resistor is connected to the base, and the emitter is connected to the ground. The power source is connected to the LED and the collector. A microcontroller or other control circuit can be connected to the base to control the fade effect.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a transistor to fade an LED?

As with any electronic project, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with a transistor to fade an LED. This includes using a suitable power source, properly connecting the components, and ensuring that the circuit is not overloaded. It is also important to avoid touching any live or exposed wires when the circuit is powered on.

5. Can I use multiple transistors to fade multiple LEDs?

Yes, you can use multiple transistors to control and fade multiple LEDs. Each LED will need its own transistor, resistor, and connection to the power source. The microcontroller or control circuit can be used to control the base of each transistor and create different fade effects for each LED.