Calculating Bouyant Force & Volume of Water for Cardboard Boat

In summary, Archimede's principle tells us that the buoyant force on a submerged object equals the weight of the displaced fluid (in this case water). To calculate the buoyant force exerted by the water on the boat, you would need to know the weight of the boat and the weight of the water displaced (density of water is 1000 kg/m^3). To calculate the volume of water displaced, you would need to know the weight of the boat and the height, width, and length of the boat. Finally, to determine the water level on the boat, you would need to know the height, width, and length of the boat and the density of water.
aznboi986
I need to calculate the bouyant force of a cardboard boat and the bouyant force exerted by the water. What is the equation to do this?

Also, I need to the volume of water the boat displaces. (Density of water is 1000 kg/m^3).

And last but not least, I need to determine the water level on the boat.

If anyone could help me out with the equations, that'd be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you didn't state the problem in sufficient detail to get an answer, nor did you show what you've done so far, all I can offer are some generalities:
(1) Archimede's principle tells us that the buoyant force on a submerged object equals the weight of the displaced fluid (in this case water).
(2) If the boat is floating, then it must be in equilibrium: the vertical forces must balance. (What forces act on the boat?)​

Sorry. We had to do a project, and make a boat out of cardboard and tape, and 2 people had to get in and paddle across a pool. Now for my lab writeup, I have to answer 3 problems, but we did bouyancy so long ago, I forgot/lost my bouyanct equations (my bad, should have saved them).

1st question. Calculate the bouyant force exerted by the water on the boat for the following conditions 1) empty boat. 2) boat with occupants in

2nd question. FOr each of the aboce conditions in calculation 1, calculate the volume of water that the boat must displace. Use a density of water of 1000 kg/m^3

3rd question. For each of the above conditions and using your plans for your boat design, determine the water level on your boat.

All I need are the equations and I can plug in the numbers. Thanks.

I wonder what data you recorded.
aznboi986 said:
1st question. Calculate the bouyant force exerted by the water on the boat for the following conditions 1) empty boat. 2) boat with occupants in
Assuming you measured the weight of the boat + occupants, use point #2 in my last post to answer this one.

2nd question. FOr each of the aboce conditions in calculation 1, calculate the volume of water that the boat must displace. Use a density of water of 1000 kg/m^3
For this one, consider point #1 in my last post. Also make use of the definition of density: D = mass/volume.

3rd question. For each of the above conditions and using your plans for your boat design, determine the water level on your boat.
The volume of water displaced combined with the geometry of your boat should allow you to answer this one.

I appreciate your help, but I need the equations...badly...please

Nevermind, I found the equations. Thanks though.

1. How do I calculate the buoyant force of my cardboard boat?

The buoyant force of an object is equal to the weight of the water it displaces. To calculate this, you will need to determine the volume of water that is being displaced by your cardboard boat and then multiply it by the density of water, which is approximately 1000 kg/m3. The resulting value is the buoyant force acting on your boat.

2. How do I determine the volume of water being displaced by my cardboard boat?

The volume of water being displaced can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of your boat. You can also use the formula V = L x W x H, where V is the volume, L is the length, W is the width, and H is the height.

3. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cardboard boat?

The formula for calculating the volume of any object, including a cardboard boat, is V = L x W x H, where V is the volume, L is the length, W is the width, and H is the height. Make sure to use the same units for all measurements (e.g. meters).

4. How do I know if my cardboard boat will float?

To determine if your cardboard boat will float, you will need to compare the weight of your boat to the buoyant force acting on it. If the weight is greater than the buoyant force, the boat will sink. If the weight is less than the buoyant force, the boat will float. Keep in mind that other factors, such as the shape and distribution of weight, can also affect the buoyancy of your boat.

5. Can I use different materials besides cardboard to make my boat?

Yes, you can use different materials besides cardboard to make your boat. The principles of buoyancy and volume displacement still apply, but the weight and density of the materials will affect the overall buoyancy of the boat. It is important to consider the strength and water-resistance of the materials when choosing alternatives to cardboard.