What's for Dinner Tonight? Join the Tea-obsessed Craze!

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I had a sandwich, cheese and pickles, and a piece of fruit.Tonight, I am cooking a ham. It smells so good in here. :!) I was just thinking about how great it would be to have some blueberry poundcake for desert, but alas, I have none. I see all these great recipies posted by other members, so, I was wondering, what are you having for dinner tonight?Tonite mi mama cooked one of my best favorites: Beefy noodles. Which had with it mashed potatoes 'n gravy and some succulent steamed veggietables that I like and plus
faust9 said:
Lamb Korma with almond slivers over Basmati Rice. Dahl soup. Fresh cucumber and onion and carrot salad with plain organic yogart dressing. And least we forget the samosa and Naan. Mmmmmmmmm. Dabble some mint and/or mango chutney over everything! God my belly is about to burst just thinking about the yummy Indian food. I ate too much already but I want more... My sweetie and I dine out on the weekends.
oooh! I'm sO jealous, that sounds delicious! :devil: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
meteor said:
Right now I'm festing on this octopus sandwich to celebrate the fact that FC Barcelona clinched La Liga yesterday

http://img257.echo.cx/img257/5893/fotografa4248ab.th.jpg

http://www.barcelona2004.org/addon/img/8abba4fcbp.jpg [Broken]
[/URL]

:mad: :mad: I hate FC Barcelona. Now I we have to bear these guys celebrating the cup.

The second position of Real Madrid CF is more relevant, they have made a great advance in last quarter of la Liga.

The fact FC. Barcelona has won is because Zapatero supports your team. This Liga was taunted from the beginning. :biggrin:

Clausius2 said:
:mad: :mad: I hate FC Barcelona. Now I we have to bear these guys celebrating the cup.

The second position of Real Madrid CF is more relevant, they have made a great advance in last quarter of la Liga.

The fact FC. Barcelona has won is because Zapatero supports your team. This Liga was taunted from the beginning. :biggrin:

This is simply not true. Now that you don't have Franco to help your team to win trophies you are always complaining and crying. You were wrong selling Etoo'o, one of the keys for the success of FC Barcelona...

Last edited:
meteor said:
This is simply not true. Now that you don't have Franco to help your team to win trophies you are always complaining and crying. You shouldn't have to have sold Etoo'o, one of the keys for the success of FC Barcelona...

Real Madrid didn't win by means of Franco, we had DiStefano, Santillana, Puskas...while Barcelona was searching someone who knows what the hell was a foot ball.

Etoo'o es un paquete. The fact is you have filled the Etoo'o trousers with money and so he runs so fast.

Let's see:

Casillas is very very much better than Valdés.
Ronaldo is very very much better than Etoo'o.
Zidane is very much better than... who the hell is the middle of the Barca?Ah! Ronaldinho.

and Pujol is very very much worse than Roberto Carlos.

What has happened? It's easy, the referees were taunted by Zapatero to make stronger the links with ERC and Maragall.

Toma ya!

It's OK to talk about futbol, as long as you include food, e.g. tapas y pacharan. :biggrin:

Clausius, when you come UCSD, I'll take you to tapas, or the nearest thing in the US :rolleyes: . And please bring some pacharan with you. It next to impossible to find it in the US.

And for those who don't know tapas - http://www.arrakis.es/~jols/tapas/indexin.html [Broken] .

Last night for dinner we visited some friends, had gnocci (i think that is how it is spelled) with marinara sauce, ceasar salad, some kind of olive bread with balsalmic vinegar and olive oil, marinated mozza balls, salami, stuffed olives, and cherry tomatoes. Yes, very Italian!

The night before I was in food heaven-lots of pan fried oysters with lemon and cocktail sauce at a fish house that boasts roots from the great lakes area. Can't eat raw oysters right now since I am pregnant, but pan fried will always do!

Astronuc said:
It's OK to talk about futbol, as long as you include food, e.g. tapas y pacharan. :biggrin:

Clausius, when you come UCSD, I'll take you to tapas, or the nearest thing in the US :rolleyes: . And please bring some pacharan with you. It next to impossible to find it in the US.

And for those who don't know tapas - http://www.arrakis.es/~jols/tapas/indexin.html [Broken] .

Pacharan? I don't like Pacharan. When I go there, we will look for a great bottle of red wine of La Rioja (I don't think I am going to be allowed to pass the customs with it). Then you will know how tastes the blood of the warriors of the north Iberia. You haven't ever eat anything better than a tapa of Jamón Ibérico with a La Rioja wine.

I will be glad if you show me the tapas. I am a Tapa-man.

Made up a new dish today: fried rice with grilled vegetables and yoghurt sauce.

*Cook rice.
*Slice zucchini, tomatoes, bell peper and garlic, rub with oil and some salt and grill in oven.
*Put oil in pan, fry some cumin seeds, coriander powder and chilli peper.
Add the cooked rice and fry that for a while.
*In separate pan make sauce: turkish yoghurt, water and coriander power and some salt and flower, sprinkle some finely cut fresh coriander into that when it's heated.

Dip the rice in the sauce when eating.. sooo jummmy :!)

Clausius2 said:
Pacharan? I don't like Pacharan. When I go there, we will look for a great bottle of red wine of La Rioja (I don't think I am going to be allowed to pass the customs with it). Then you will know how tastes the blood of the warriors of the north Iberia. You haven't ever eat anything better than a tapa of Jamón Ibérico with a La Rioja wine.

I will be glad if you show me the tapas. I am a Tapa-man.
Bring some La Rioja by all means.

I had some great Pacharans in Salamanca, but I can't remember the names. I had some great tapas too.

I am not sure how good the tapas will be in the US.

I think I'm going to cook a weenie over the fire tonight.

hypatia said:
I think I'm going to cook a weenie over the fire tonight.
Is this 'torture the ex' night, or are you referring to a hot dog?

La Rioja?

I fegging love that stuff! Last had it in Barcelona. Having difficulty finding it here. Anyone?

Edit: Ok, I just don't look hard enough. There's about 10 different bottles of it at Tesco...

The hotdog kind, and it was pretty good too! Of course anything tastes good with a few glasses of wine.

I just ate a sweet potato. Or maybe it was a yam.

Is there a difference?

Math Is Hard said:

Is there a difference?
There are different kinds of sweet potato. A yam is one of the larger ones. Sweet potatoes are also sometimes included in blues bands. Yams seldom are.

Danger said:
There are different kinds of sweet potato. A yam is one of the larger ones. Sweet potatoes are also sometimes included in blues bands. Yams seldom are.
Thanks for edumacatin' me, Danger. You know, I thought 'yam pie' sounded pretty weird, but I like 'sweet potato pie' just fine.

I'm always disappointed around Thanksgiving when I think I'm about to eat a nice piece of pumpkin pie and it turns out to be sweet potatoe pie.

Math Is Hard said:
I like 'sweet potato pie' just fine.
The only time I ever heard of sweet potato pie was on a much weirder than usual episode of the X-Files. Seems to me, that's where it belongs.

Math Is Hard said:

Is there a difference?
Yes, there is a difference. I am so weird that I know this. :redface:

In the PF tradition of always bringing forth the truth (no matter how painful) here is the "Straight Dope" on "Is it a Yam or a Sweet Potato"?

Thank you MIH, for allowing me the opportunity to once and for all set the record straight.

"Dear Cecil:

I always thought yam and sweet potato were two names for the same thing. However, when I asked to be passed the yams at a recent family gathering, I was informed by one of my snotty east-coast cousins that no yams were on the menu. I was reduced to asking for the "freaking orange things, A-hole," which detracted from the air of refinement and class that I like to convey. What's the straight dope, Cecil? --Robbie Federer, Evanston, Illinois"

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a990604b.html

Huckleberry said:
I'm always disappointed around Thanksgiving when I think I'm about to eat a nice piece of pumpkin pie and it turns out to be sweet potatoe pie.

Since it wasn't until recently that I realized I do like sweet potatoes (when nobody adds sugar or marshmallows or other crap to them, they're actually very tasty), I really hated discovering that nice pie I was about to dig into was sweet potato instead of pumpkin! :grumpy: :yuck:

Evo said:
Yes, there is a difference. I am so weird that I know this. :redface:

In the PF tradition of always bringing forth the truth (no matter how painful) here is the "Straight Dope" on "Is it a Yam or a Sweet Potato"?
Fascinating! I remember reading in anthropology class about the 7-foot yams proudly grown by the Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea and I wondered why the little things I bought at the store were so puny. And now I know. They aren't one and the same.

This evening I had teriyaki chiken over steamed rice and a couple of egg rolls.

Evo said:
Thank you MIH, for allowing me the opportunity to once and for all set the record straight.http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a990604b.html
That's the last time I trust Funk & Wagnalls. :grumpy:
I rechecked in Brittanica, and they agree with the Straight Dope guy.

Kerrie said:
The night before I was in food heaven-lots of pan fried oysters with lemon and cocktail sauce at a fish house that boasts roots from the great lakes area. Can't eat raw oysters right now since I am pregnant, but pan fried will always do!
I love oysters, but haven't had them in years because Kansas just isn't the place for fresh seafood. :frown: I make great oysters rockefeller...YUM!

Monique said:
Made up a new dish today: fried rice with grilled vegetables and yoghurt sauce.

*Cook rice.
*Slice zucchini, tomatoes, bell peper and garlic, rub with oil and some salt and grill in oven.
*Put oil in pan, fry some cumin seeds, coriander powder and chilli peper.
Add the cooked rice and fry that for a while.
*In separate pan make sauce: turkish yoghurt, water and coriander power and some salt and flower, sprinkle some finely cut fresh coriander into that when it's heated.

Dip the rice in the sauce when eating.. sooo jummmy
Monique, you always cook something yummy! :approve:

I'm still eating leftover ham. It weighed 11 pounds. I will be eating ham for the next three weeks. :bugeye:

Next on my list is a 7 foot yam. :wink:

Evo said:
I will be eating ham for the next three weeks. :bugeye:

Next on my list is a 7 foot yam. :wink:
Hey Moonbear! Doc Toxin! How are your recombinant DNA skills? A 'hyam' could cut down preparation time quit a bit.

While it is true that both taxonomically and culinarily the yam is different than the sweet potato, the "yams" you will find in your average supermarket are indeed a type of sweet potato, a member of the morning glory family. The orange-fleshed, brown skinned "yams" are called this as a way to differentiate them from the white-fleshed variaties and the confusion stems from African slaves transferring the name from their native true yam to the ones they found in North America upon their arrival. So, the information in this thread is correct, its just that the name "yam" is being used a little too loosely in the marketplace. Check wikipedia for further details

True yams, and relatives like casava, are typically large, as in the 7 ft one, and must be cooked thoroughly to eliminate certain alkaloid toxins found in the flesh. They can be found in the US, but you have to hit ethnic markets.

tonight for dinner, lamb with curry and lentils! i adore the tender taste of lamb.

dinner @ IHOP..

yes.. pancakes n waffles w/ maple syrup

Danger said:
Hey Moonbear! Doc Toxin! How are your recombinant DNA skills? A 'hyam' could cut down preparation time quit a bit.

Isn't "hyam" yiddish? :biggrin: If so, it's definitely not kosher.

My favorite yam dish is simply boiled, drained and mashed yams with butter and cream. You can add things like ginger and cinnamon if you want a spicier tone or add some chopped chipotle peppers and adobo for smokey heat. If you want to combine it with ham, put them in the bottom of the roasting dish you are baking the ham in and let them stew in the collected drippings and glaze (things like coke, rum, maple syrup) that comes off the ham.

Tonights menu - szechuan tofu with ground pork served over bean threads.

Other recent meals have included falafel in pita with tzatziki, turkey satay lettuce wraps with peanut sauce, and greens beans and sausage with crusty bread.

DocToxyn said:
Isn't "hyam" yiddish? :biggrin:
Since it seems to resemble the sound of someone clearing phlegm from their throat, it must be yiddish. :biggrin:

My favorite yam dish is simply boiled, drained and mashed yams with butter and cream. You can add things like ginger and cinnamon if you want a spicier tone or add some chopped chipotle peppers and adobo for smokey heat. If you want to combine it with ham, put them in the bottom of the roasting dish you are baking the ham in and let them stew in the collected drippings and glaze (things like coke, rum, maple syrup) that comes off the ham.

I either just bake them in the skin and add some salt and pepper, or I cut them into big chunks, lightly coat them in olive oil and bake with some herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano...those sorts of things). And when I'm feeling really unhealthy, I cut them into sticks and make sweet potato fries...best dipped into horseradish sauce. :approve: I now own a food processor, so I need to see how thinly the slicing blade slices veggies...sweet potato chips are really tasty, but only if you can get them sliced thin enough. I can do it by hand, but it takes too long that way (shush DocToxyn, I already considered whether I could adapt the microtome to sweet potatoes. :rofl: Then I remember what else gets cut on that and stop thinking about it. :yuck:)

Tonight's dinner is in progress. Penne pasta with homemade tomato sauce topped with provolone cheese (don't have any mozzarella) and baked like a ziti. That should last me a few days.

Well, since today is our 19th anniversary we were supposed to go out for a nice dinner. But guess what Tsu wants instead: Steak and cake. She says that she's on a rhyming diet - the newest thing I guess. :biggrin:

Finally a fad diet that makes sense! ;)

Ivan Seeking said:
Well, since today is our 19th anniversary we were supposed to go out for a nice dinner. But guess what Tsu wants instead: Steak and cake. She says that she's on a rhyming diet - the newest thing I guess. :biggrin:
Happy Anniversary you two! :!)