Electric Potential and a capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the potential difference across the plates of a huge 4.0 F capacitor, given the amount of energy it can store and the mass and temperature of water it can heat. The suggested equation to use is q=m*c*delta(T), where q is the heat transferred by the capacitor, m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat of water, and delta T is the change in temperature. This equation can be set equal to the potential energy (PE) and solved for V. The conversation concludes with the clarification that this approach is correct.
Jodi
Hi; Could someone please help me with the following question: A huge 4.0 F capacitor has enough stored energy to heat 2.5 kg of water form 21 degrees celsius to 95 degrees celsius. What is the potential difference across the plates? Could i use the equation: PE = 1/2 CV^2. However, I do not know how to solve for PE; how do I use the given temperatures and mass? Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use q=m*c*delta(T) to get the heat (Joules) transferred by the capacitor. m=the mass in grams of your water. c is the specific heat of water. delta T is the change in temperature. Then set that amount equal to your potential energy and solve for V...I think that's right

thanks

Thanks a lot for your help, I understand it now.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge.

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material (dielectric). When a voltage difference is applied across the plates, it creates an electric field, which causes the plates to store energy.

How is electric potential calculated for a capacitor?

The electric potential of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge on one plate by the capacitance of the capacitor. This can be represented by the equation V = Q/C, where V is the electric potential, Q is the charge, and C is the capacitance.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that measures the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field. On the other hand, electric field is a vector quantity that measures the force per unit charge at a point in an electric field. Electric potential is dependent on the electric field, but electric field is not dependent on the electric potential.

How does the electric potential change when a capacitor is connected to a battery?

When a capacitor is connected to a battery, the electric potential difference between the plates of the capacitor increases. This is because the battery provides a constant voltage, causing the plates of the capacitor to store more energy. The electric potential difference will remain constant as long as the capacitor is connected to the battery.