Understanding the Phase Shift Formula in Stimulated Brillouin Scattering

In summary, the discussion is about the formula for the phase shift used in stimulated Brillouin scattering, particularly in the phase shifter. The speaker is looking for information on the coefficient, other than the gain, that is multiplied to the imaginary part of the complex gain. They also want to know if the effective length is also multiplied to this constant. The conversation also mentions using books to derive information about the real and imaginary parts of the complex gain, and the relationship between the imaginary part and the phase.
eahaidar
Good morning
I need to ask about the exact formula for the phase shift used in stimulated Brillouin scattering especially in the phase shifter thank you

Science news on Phys.org
What have you already found? This is a pretty broad topic.

UltrafastPED said:
What have you already found? This is a pretty broad topic.
What I know is usually the imaginary part of the complex gain but I really want to know that there is a coefficient other than go which is power over effective area
I need to know if also the effective length is also multiplied to this constant

Which books are you using?

What I know from any book that you derive from the complex gain the real and imaginary part
The imaginary part is related to the phase but I need to know what factors multipled to this imaginary part??

1. What is non-linear fiber optics?

Non-linear fiber optics is a branch of optics that studies the behavior of light in optical fibers, where the properties of the fiber, such as refractive index, change as the light propagates through it. This can lead to non-linear interactions between the light and the fiber, resulting in effects such as self-phase modulation, four-wave mixing, and stimulated Raman scattering.

2. What are the applications of non-linear fiber optics?

Non-linear fiber optics has many practical applications, such as in telecommunications, where it is used to increase the bandwidth and data-carrying capacity of optical networks. It is also used in laser technology for applications such as frequency doubling, optical parametric amplification, and supercontinuum generation.

3. How does non-linear fiber optics differ from linear fiber optics?

Linear fiber optics deals with the transmission of light through fibers without any changes to the properties of the fiber. Non-linear fiber optics, on the other hand, considers the changes in the fiber's properties due to the light passing through it and the resulting non-linear effects.

4. What are the challenges in implementing non-linear fiber optics?

One of the main challenges in non-linear fiber optics is managing and controlling the non-linear effects, as they can cause signal degradation and lead to the loss of information. Another challenge is the design and fabrication of fibers with specific properties to achieve desired non-linear effects.

5. How is non-linear fiber optics researched and studied?

Non-linear fiber optics is studied through theoretical analysis, numerical simulations, and experimental measurements. Researchers use advanced mathematical models and computer simulations to understand the behavior of light in non-linear fibers. They also conduct experiments using specialized equipment to observe and measure the non-linear effects in real-world scenarios.