Forum software bug, or need a reboot?

• Thread starter NascentOxygen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    android
In summary: Indeed it would be more helpful, but we won't alter it at this time for reasons that will soon be revealed.(And be READY for more).
NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Yesterday I found that whatever post in some threads I replied to, it always included the OP's opening post in my reply instead of the particular post I was wanting to reply to. I've had to manually copy-and-paste text as a workaround.

Also, when making a quick reply I've a few times noticed this warning (which I ignore because it's wrong/meaningless):
You have selected 1 post that is not part of this thread. Quote this post as well, or deselect this post.
In that context I don't even know what it means.

I'm using an Android tablet.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is because you have selected a message to multi-quote. The warning is telling you exactly what has happened. It's not wrong, it's not meaningless, and it's not a bug. Deselect that message and the warning will go away.

LOL. It's a feature!

NascentOxygen said:
LOL. It's a feature!

Any bug or inconvenience that we can't fix is by default, a feature :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
Any bug or inconvenience that we can't fix is by default, a feature :D

Is it possible to customize the text of that "You have selected 1 post that ..." warning? As worded, it's not especially helpful, it took me quite a while to figure out what it meant. A few words along the lines of "Here's a link to how the multi-quote feature works" would be more friendly.

Nugatory said:
Is it possible to customize the text of that "You have selected 1 post that ..." warning? As worded, it's not especially helpful, it took me quite a while to figure out what it meant. A few words along the lines of "Here's a link to how the multi-quote feature works" would be more friendly.

Indeed it would be more helpful, but we won't alter it at this time for reasons that will soon be revealed.

bugorfeature.gif

(And be READY for more).

1. What is a forum software bug?

A forum software bug refers to an error or flaw in the code of the forum software that causes it to not function as intended. This can lead to unexpected behavior or crashes within the forum.

2. How do I know if a forum software bug is causing an issue?

If you are experiencing unexpected behavior or errors in the forum, it could be a sign of a software bug. You can also check the forum's bug tracker or search online to see if others have reported similar issues.

3. How can I report a forum software bug?

You can report a forum software bug by contacting the software developer directly or by submitting a bug report in the forum's bug tracker. Be sure to provide clear and detailed information about the bug, including steps to reproduce it.

4. Can a forum software bug be fixed?

Yes, forum software bugs can be fixed. Once a bug is reported, the software developer will work to identify and fix the issue. The fix will then be released in a software update that users can install to resolve the bug.

5. Will a forum software bug always cause issues?

Not necessarily. Some software bugs may only cause minor inconveniences, while others can have a larger impact on the forum's functionality. It depends on the specific bug and how it affects the software.