Analyzing the Controversy: Evaluating the Presidency of George W. Bush

• News
  • Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
International Court of Justice?In summary, the conversation started with the question of whether anyone had a positive assertion to make about Bush. One person did share a positive belief, but others quickly turned the conversation into a discussion about Bush's decisions and actions. Some argued that he has done a number of good things, but others expressed concerns about his motives and decisions being based on religious beliefs. The conversation also touched on the importance of tolerance and the potential consequences of extremist viewpoints. The conversation ended with a question about why the US administration fears the International Court of Justice.
Originally posted by Mattius_
Greed and disregard for other humans(in a rational way) are products of freedom. Knowledge comes when people build empires of wealth produced by freedom.
What is Capitalism people? I'll tell you, Capitalism is everything i have said previously! Greed, Self-betterment, and manipulation of other humans. What has Capitalism created? It has created the greatest body of knowledge ever known in history.
You don't like the 3 variables that make up capitalism? Go somewhere else and see how many calories you get a day!
Mattius,
do you have a religion? Is it Bushism? Or Bull****ism? Are your statements what you learned from Daddy? There is so much alienation in what you are saying. Are you clean?

Physics news on Phys.org
My thoughts are my own. I admire no specific person or ideal, except myself, and my ideal. I don't let any religon show me how things work, I find out how things work on my own. You would be suprised at what rationality comes from my ideology if you actually understood it.

Greed and disregard for other humans(in a rational way) are products of freedom. Knowledge comes when people build empires of wealth produced by freedom.
Hmm... have you ever wonder why the majority of scientists are liberals? Maybe then you will have an idea of the place (or lack of) greed has in generating knowledge.

Yes, true, greed is great at building empires, great collections, forging ivory spires. But these destroy the actual creation of knowledge, real learning. Real progress.

I agree that scientists themselves tend to search for more spiritual advancement, but, scientists are paid by greedy people who want to use a scientists knowledge and benefit from it... Have you ever wondered why the large majority of business owners are repubilican?

How many scientists can you name that weren't supported by corporations of governments?

For the people having the intellectual and human sensibility and dignity:

For the moment the International Labor Organization says that there are more than 40,000 slaves in Brasile (about 45% in the Fishing industry, about 90% can not write). .

http://www.ilo.org/

Quote: The chief coordinator of this project, Patricia Audi, is far better equipped than myself to discuss the details of this project so I shall not enter into more details at this time. However, it is important to place the issue of Brazilian slave labor in its wider international context. Is this a global problem? Does slavery and forced labor exist throughout the world today? If so, why? Is poverty the main factor to explain it and what can be done about it? What
approaches are needed to root out once and for all an unacceptable scourge of our modern society?
Regrettably, forced labor and slavery are global problems today. They are not relics of a bygone age. They do not survive in a few pockets in remote and isolated parts of developing countries. There are problems of forced labor in all continents in both developing and developed countries, in more open and in more closed societies. It would be rash to speculate as to the exact numbers affected. One author, a well-known author called Kevin Bales, who has a book in ten languages, now, has given a figure of twenty seven million slaves in the world today. This can only be a very rough estimate. At a conference, a very large conference, attended by over one thousand people on trafficking, at the European union in Brussels last week, reference was made to several millions of persons, mainly young women and children being trafficked into slavery for sexual or for labor exploitation. But such figures, I repeat, can at this time only be rough estimates. Forced labor is of its essence a largely clandestine and hidden phenomenon. Who are the victims? The victims, throughout the world, are vulnerable and powerless people often without identity documents or without organizations to represent them. The exploiters may be landlords, feudal landlords, they can be trafficking syndicates and intermediaries linked to organized crime. The agents who force labor, those responsible, may be quite humble individuals, with limited economic resources, such as the gatos or empreiteiros, such a well-known feature of Brazil’s rural labor markets. But the agents can also be highly sophisticated enterprises involved in operations worth billions of dollars.

This is a tragedy i am aware of. I ideologically support the idea that all people should have a chance... Many of these people didnt have a chance to prove themselves... Unfortuneatly, This is how nature works sometimes... This is rough efficiency, which could be purified if every nation in the world endorsed the 'born equal' clause.

However, at what cost does the 'born equal' premise prove effective? Who or what pays for the 'born equal' laws?

It is my interpretation that the born equal clause is paid for by the wealthy, who need their money to expand their own endeavors... Is there a happy medium?

Not under any logic that i am aware of.

Ok well first off i don't think its fair to really attack Matius. Second, this thread isn't really about morals or anything like that. I think that'd be an interesting topic for a different thread but this one is about bush.

My argument is just that even with lies or by any other 'immoral' or 'unethical' means, if bush gets the job done, then he gets it done. As mattius said, we can't really see the big picture deal until later on. Maybe this'll all be for the best, we don't know. I'd say bush is good president just cause he got elected. I'd say it takes a lot of effort and skill to be elected president of the united states. So i'd say whoever can get into that position and stay there is a decent president, even if i don't agree with them.
But maybe we should really decide what defines a good president before we continue this debate eh?

Its ok Gale, Everytime they have attacked me, i have responed with logic greater than their's...

Originally posted by Gale17
Ok well first off i don't think its fair to really attack Matius. Second, this thread isn't really about morals or anything like that. I think that'd be an interesting topic for a different thread but this one is about bush.

My argument is just that even with lies or by any other 'immoral' or 'unethical' means, if bush gets the job done, then he gets it done. As mattius said, we can't really see the big picture deal until later on. Maybe this'll all be for the best, we don't know. I'd say bush is good president just cause he got elected. I'd say it takes a lot of effort and skill to be elected president of the united states. So i'd say whoever can get into that position and stay there is a decent president, even if i don't agree with them.
But maybe we should really decide what defines a good president before we continue this debate eh?
You keep saying 'gets the job done'...what 'job'? Ruining the country to line the pockets of his campaign contributors?

Originally posted by Zero
You keep saying 'gets the job done'...what 'job'? Ruining the country to line the pockets of his campaign contributors?

This is the job:

If it's to control oil, then whatever. We're America, we're supposed to try and dominate everyone aren't we? I mean that seriously though. I think bush is just American, he's doing exactly what America wants, most anyways, which is what a president's supposed to do.

Other countries don't want US-dictates.

Is this what it comes down to? That Americans actually believe that anything is ok, so long as it advances U.S. interests? By Gale17's logic, it is ok if we killed Iraqi civilians for oil...which means murder is ok, so long as you get what you want.

The good news, I guess, is that most people with such a sick view of politics usually don't vote?(We hope?) Jesus, this is disturbing!:frown:

we don't know what "the job" is yet. I don't know if it's to get oil or no. Could be something else. I say that the mark of a good president is that he accomplishes his goals with his county's support. Bush is able to get support and it appears he's accomplishing some goal. Whether overall its good for America in general we can't say yet. But what defines a good president?

we don't know what "the job" is yet. I don't know if it's to get oil or no. Could be something else. I say that the mark of a good president is that he accomplishes his goals with his county's support. Bush is able to get support and it appears he's accomplishing some goal. Whether overall its good for America in general we can't say yet. But what defines a good president?
So it doesn't matter what the goal is, so long as he accomplishes it? What if his goal is to turn America into a dictatorship...if he succeeds in destroying the Constitution, does that make him a good president?

You kids watch too much Survivior, and think that 'winner take all' and 'might makes right' are proper human values.

Last edited by a moderator:
you kids? was that remark intended for me?

Also Zero, what is the difference between a person calling someone a sociopath and person calling someone a hypocrite?

Why is Bush a good president?

>>...who voted for him is a slobbering idiot.

And you are...what?

Originally posted by Mattius_
you kids? was that remark intended for me?

Also Zero, what is the difference between a person calling someone a sociopath and person calling someone a hypocrite?
I made it perfectly clear that I was not calling you a sociopath. Read back and see for yourself.

aww man, this discussion was getting good, too bad it ended a few weeks ago, somebody should spark it up again so i can have more fun stuff to read
im not going to join because i don't know squat about politics, very little on current events, and my own morals confuse me. I am surprised i can even walk straight.
oh, one thing though, my goodness, just reading what some of you have to say makes me look over my shoulder to make sure I am not getting stabbed in the back...and i don't even know you. that's pretty bad.