Gotta Study Grumble: Exams in 2 Weeks

• Thread starter Kalimaa23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: I don't know if that's the case in your country or not, but in the US, a masters is essentially a terminal degree. After you've completed all the required courses and completed a research project, you can call yourself a graduate student.My masters was actually a terminal degree, but that was back in the days when only a few schools offered a two-year masters program. Nowadays, there are a lot more schools that offer a two-year masters program, but a two-year masters still isn't as good as a terminal masters degree.Thanks for the input, I'll definitely think about doing a research project.
Kalimaa23
Grumble...

Exams are coming up in two weeks... and I have hardly done any studying. I really need to get going, but for some reason the stress parts of my brain fail to kick in. The weather isn't helping either, we're having the first real sunny days in months. So much distraction going on... pc, friends, movies, a political crisis or two... Speaking of distraction, anyone familiar with this series?

www.phdcomics.com

Oh well, I'll better stop babbeling and get to my stellar spectroscopy course :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh, yes, I know the feeling... But consider that you don't have your divorce or funeral to worry about. However, you should still panic; they are in TWO god damd weeks! One week making a study plan, next five days executing and the last two days convincing yourself that the material you didn't cover isn't that important or that you already know it...

And consider you got me distracted for an hour, and I'm not a grad student. :grumpy: :biggrin: Great serie, thanks!

Dimitri Terryn said:

Yeah, one of my Caltech friends was all into that. Us grad students deserve our own comic for what we go through. :biggrin:

Oh well, I'll better stop babbeling and get to my stellar spectroscopy course

Stellar spectroscopy? You should be jazzed!...or something. Yah, drop by the astro forums if you have any questions. I know a thing or two about stars.

Good Luck Dimitry>>>If you have any QFT related questions, don't hesitate to ask them

marlon

ps do you know Ann Sophie Roose from UGent, she is a physics student there

Just wait until you get into a PhD program http://hcs.science.uva.nl/projects/il/blues/ :biggrin:

Good luck with your studies, in a few weeks time you'll have all the time to enjoy life :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,mon
i dont' know why i can't control myself when i see your post. i like your avatar. :blush:

It seems like you online whenever i am online right ? i don't blive in any pre-ordered by god, but i blive in how my friends feel for me, i feel it in my chest. :wink:

Btw, Good luck with yor studies Dim,
hopefull yuor exam will not be dim.

Minorail said:
It seems like you online whenever i am online right ?
I'm online searching for PhD projects and research groups I'd like to join, so I just stop in here once in a while.. the market is really bad :yuck:

monique ke uppar log fida hain!

goldi said:
monique ke uppar log fida hain!
Can you translate please? My hindi is rusty :tongue:

somewhere i spotted you talking eith someone in Hindi...and you know it very well , and you are fan of bollywood too SOmewhere u mentioned about Bachchan in amsterdam...
very pretty face,,it would be difficult to find even one black spot on yours face :biggrin:

Thanks for the support guys. I actually got some work done yesterday, and I'm hopeful I can get off the pc in a short while...

marlon said:
Good Luck Dimitry>>>If you have any QFT related questions, don't hesitate to ask them

marlon

ps do you know Ann Sophie Roose from UGent, she is a physics student there

D'oh I've only just seen the second part of your post.
Yes, I've been in touch with Ann-Sophie. We've been campaigning (succesfully :biggrin: !) for a two year master in physics and other sciences.

Anyway, I have my first exam tomorrow, Quantum Elektrodynamics. Here goes nothing!

Watch this space...

Dimitri Terryn said:
We've been campaigning (succesfully :biggrin: !) for a two year master in physics and other sciences.
How long were the masters otherwise?

Monique said:
How long were the masters otherwise?

one year.

marlon

How can you possibly achieve anything substantial in one year ?

I biology it used to be three years, they reduced it to two years (from 6 to 5 years with the bachelor included).

well, we just have bachelor/master introduced here in Belgium. Now, for physics, the bachelor is three years and the master is two years. In the past we had a 2-2 year structure, so 4 years in total to get the master-degree.

marlon

Gokul43201 said:
How can you possibly achieve anything substantial in one year ?

how many students reach something substantial,...,ever, prior to the phd ?
Define substantial, please ?

marlon

By 'substantial', I mean : go through graduate level courses in QM, E&M, Stat Mech and Class Mech, some advanced coursework in branch of specialization and complete a research project.

Gokul43201 said:
By 'substantial', I mean : go through graduate level courses in QM, E&M, Stat Mech and Class Mech, some advanced coursework in branch of specialization and complete a research project.
It must be a non-thesis masters to finish it in a year. I thought such programs had gone obsolete in favor of just issuing a certificate of graduate coursework (just to make it "official" that someone took a few graduate level classes, usually just to boost up their application for something else) since a masters really doesn't mean much if you haven't done any research or thesis writing for it.

Gokul43201 said:

yep, all that is done in the final two years. Like a said we had a 2-2 year structure prior to the introduction of the bachelor/master system. Now, the bachelor is three years and the master is two years.

What i meant by 'one year' in my first remark really is a reference to the actual final year of college where you write the master-thesis (this is ofcourse obligatory). There are several research projects (implementation in some ongoing phd-research) that have to be followed during the third and fourth year.

For example, QM is introduced in the second year and the advanced QM-course (perturbation theory, relativistic QM alla Dirac and so on) is covered in the third year. I had my QFT course in the final year.

Ahh, yes and a bachelor isn't worth that much though, one really needs to complete the whole curriculum up till a master degree. If you want to pursue a phd, you need to have the master degree with certain 'grades' ofcourse...

I hope this clears up things...

marlon

1. What is "Gotta Study Grumble: Exams in 2 Weeks"?

"Gotta Study Grumble: Exams in 2 Weeks" is a study method created by scientists to help students prepare for exams in a short period of time.

2. How does "Gotta Study Grumble" work?

The method involves breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks and using techniques such as active recall and spaced repetition to improve retention and understanding.

3. Is "Gotta Study Grumble" effective?

Studies have shown that using this method can significantly improve exam performance, as it focuses on efficient and effective studying techniques.

4. Can "Gotta Study Grumble" be used for all subjects?

Yes, this method can be applied to any subject as it is based on scientific principles of learning and memory.

5. How can I get started with "Gotta Study Grumble"?

There are many resources available online, including step-by-step guides and templates, to help you get started with this study method. You can also consult with a scientist or educator for personalized tips and advice.