Solving the Math Department Puzzle Last Semester

In summary, this is a unique puzzle that can be solved without knowing that the solution is unique. It involves 20 questions with multiple choice answers, and the answers to some questions are related to each other. The answers to questions 6 and 17 are interchangeable, but this can be determined by analyzing the number of questions with each answer. Some background in computer programming may be helpful in understanding this puzzle.
JonF
This was circulating about the math department last semester and I thought some of you might enjoy it. Good luck.

The solution to the following puzzle is unique; in some cases the knowledge that the solution is unique may actually give you a short-cut to finding the answer to a particular question, but it's possible to find the unique solution even without making use of the fact that the solution is unique.

1. The first question whose answer is B is question
(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

2. The only two consecutive questions with identical answers are questions
(A) 6 and 7
(B) 7 and 8
(C) 8 and 9
(D) 9 and 10
(E) 10 and 11

3. The number of questions with the answer E is
(A) 0
(B) 1
(C) 2
(D) 3
(E) 4

4. The number of questions with the answer A is
(A) 4
(B) 5
(C) 6
(D) 7
(E) 8

5. The answer to this question is the same as the answer to question
(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

6. The answer to question 17 is
(A) C
(B) D
(C) E
(D) none of the above
(E) all of the above

7. Alphabetically, the answer to this question and the answer to the following question are
(A) 4 apart
(B) 3 apart
(C) 2 apart
(D) 1 apart
(E) the same

8. The number of questions whose answers are vowels is
(A) 4
(B) 5
(C) 6
(D) 7
(E) 8

9. The next question with the same answer as this one is question
(A) 10
(B) 11
(C) 12
(D) 13
(E) 14

10. The answer to question 16 is
(A) D
(B) A
(C) E
(D) B
(E) C

11. The number of questions preceding this one with the answer B is
(A) 0
(B) 1
(C) 2
(D) 3
(E) 4

12. The number of questions whose answer is a consonant is
(A) an even number
(B) an odd number
(C) a perfect square
(D) a prime
(E) divisible by 5

13. The only odd-numbered problem with answer A is
(A) 9
(B) 11
(C) 13
(D) 15
(E) 17

14. The number of questions with answer D is
(A) 6
(B) 7
(C) 8
(D) 9
(E) 10

15. The answer to question 12 is
(A) A
(B) B
(C) C
(D) D
(E) E

16. The answer to question 10 is
(A) D
(B) C
(C) B
(D) A
(E) E

17. The answer to question 6 is
(A) C
(B) D
(C) E
(D) none of the above
(E) all of the above

18. The number of questions with answer A equals the number of questions with answer
(A) B
(B) C
(C) D
(D) E
(E) none of the above

19. The answer to this question is:
(A) A
(B) B
(C) C
(D) D
(E) E

20. The answer to question 20 is
(A) E
(B) E
(C) E
(D) E
(E) E

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is it circle only one answer per question?

Answer:DADBEBBEDADADBADBADE
please tell me how many i got right because pair Q6,17 confused the hell outta me.

Last edited:
that is not right, and to tell you how many you got right would be cheating... not that far off though...

Hey, you guys are remembering to white out the proposed answers, right? Please? I don't want to accidentally see the answers. o:)

Here goes (highlight below for answer):
DAD BED DED ABA DBA DBA BE
The spacing is just for easier reading.

yeah i messed up 4 Qs ...don't think i messed up anymore
Q6, 17 really messed me up but honestrosewater answer doesn't make sense either for them. I couldn't figure out how there could be a solutionf or the 2.

good job honestrosewater, how long did it take you?

I had 6 & 17 backwards the first time, but 2 made me check it again. It makes sense to me now. It took me ~90 minutes, but I was very tired and would completely forget what I was doing every five minutes. :tongue2: I was just determined to finish before going to bed.

neurocomp2003 said:
yeah i messed up 4 Qs ...don't think i messed up anymore
Q6, 17 really messed me up but honestrosewater answer doesn't make sense either for them. I couldn't figure out how there could be a solutionf or the 2.

Wow, its like the ultimate riddle, based entirely on relative answers. I'm going to pass this around to my friends if you don't mind. :)

I have a pretty good idea about how to do this but I know that once I start I won't be able to stop, and I have other things to do today.

To help you out a bit neuro, I think the 6-17 answer has a computer programming background. It's quite obvious if you consider the fact that honestrosewater had them backwards for a while (that should be a hint, the fact that they appear interchangeable unitll you answer other questions). If you want I can go into more detail via PM.

Last edited:
FYI: Figuring out the number of questions with answers A, B, etc. was a big help for me in eliminating other options.

1. How did you approach solving the math department puzzle last semester?

I approached solving the math department puzzle last semester by first thoroughly understanding the puzzle and its rules. Then, I broke down the puzzle into smaller, more manageable parts and tackled them one at a time. I also collaborated with my peers to brainstorm different strategies and solutions.

2. What challenges did you face while solving the math department puzzle last semester?

One of the main challenges I faced while solving the math department puzzle last semester was understanding the complex mathematical concepts involved. Additionally, the puzzle required a lot of trial and error, so it took a lot of patience and perseverance to find the correct solution.

3. What strategies did you use to solve the math department puzzle last semester?

I used a combination of strategies to solve the math department puzzle last semester. Some of these strategies included breaking down the puzzle into smaller parts, using logic and deductive reasoning, and collaborating with my peers. I also made use of various mathematical formulas and techniques to solve the problem.

4. How did you validate your solution for the math department puzzle last semester?

To validate my solution for the math department puzzle last semester, I first checked my calculations and made sure they were accurate. Then, I tested my solution multiple times to ensure it worked every time. Finally, I consulted with my peers and compared our solutions to confirm that we had arrived at the correct answer.

5. What did you learn from solving the math department puzzle last semester?

Solving the math department puzzle last semester taught me the importance of collaboration and perseverance. It also reinforced my understanding of complex mathematical concepts and the importance of breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, it helped me improve my problem-solving and critical thinking skills.