Calculating Equilibrium Constant Kc - Need Help!

In summary, the conversation involves a question about finding the equilibrium constant Kc for a reaction involving gases A, B, and C in a 5.0L container. The formula for Kc is Kc=([B][C])/([A]^2) and it is equal to Kp because the number of moles of gaseous components on both sides are the same. The conversation also includes a discussion on finding the equilibrium concentration of A by using the law of mass action and how to determine the number of moles of B and C formed at equilibrium.
~angel~
Could someone please help me with this problem?

Samples of A (2.5 mol) and B (1.0 mol) are placed in a 5.0L container and the following reaction takes place:

2A(g) <--> B(g) + C(g)

At equilibrium, the concentration of A is 0.20M. What is the value of Kc?

Thanks. It's probably really simple but I can't seem to get it. I'm not that strong on this stuff.

Also, apparently the relationship between Kc and Kp is Kc = Kp. Why is that the case?

Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]
K_p=K_c (RT)^{dn}
[/itex]

where [itex]dn[/itex]= No. of moles of products- No. of moles of reactants

Kc = Kp because the number of moles of the gaseous componentson both sides are the same.

For your first query , what is law of mass action?...How is Kc related to the products and reactants?

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]Kc= \frac{[C]}{[A]^{2}} [/tex]

[tex]Kc= \frac{[C_b+.25mol/5.0L][.25mol/5.0L]}{[.200M]^{2}} [/tex]

[tex]Kc= \frac{[1.0mol/5.0L+.25mol/5.0L][.25mol/5.0L]}{[.200M]^{2}} [/tex]

solve for [tex] Kc[/tex]

Initially, the concentration of all the species are
[A] = 2.5(mol) / 5.0(L) = c1 -I
= 1.0(mol) / 5.0(L) = c2 -II
[C] = 0

Now, let 'a' be the extent of the reaction

Concentration of all species at equilibirium are

[A]=c1(1-2a) -III
=c2+c1(a)
[C]=c1(a)

Now it is given that the concentration of [A] at equilibirium is 0.2 mol/L.
From III, c1(1-2a)=0.2
Now, the value of c1 is known.Therefore the value of a can be found.
From this the value of Kc=([C])/([A]^2) {The concentration of species at equilibirium}

GCT:
Instead of 0.25, shouldn't it be 0.75? Initially, number of moles of A are 2.5. Finally, the number of moles of A 0.2*5=1 . Therefore the number of moles of A reacted = 2.5-1=1.5 . By molar ratio, the number of moles of B and C formed are 0.75.

Ok, I get it. Thanks guys :smile:

GCT:
Instead of 0.25, shouldn't it be 0.75? Initially, number of moles of A are 2.5. Finally, the number of moles of A 0.2*5=1 . Therefore the number of moles of A reacted = 2.5-1=1.5 . By molar ratio, the number of moles of B and C formed are 0.75.

I'm not quite sure why you're trying to find the number of moles, when the equilibrium concentration of A is given. Anyways I neglected to use the appropriate initial concentration for A.

[tex].25mol/5.0L=.5M,~mol~A~reacted~=~.5M-.20M=.3M[/tex]

you'll need to divide by 2, to find the equilvalent moles of B and C

[tex].3M~A~reacted(1~mol~B/2~mol~A)~=~.15M~B,C~formed[/tex]

GCT said:
I'm not quite sure why you're trying to find the number of moles, when the equilibrium concentration of A is given. Anyways I neglected to use the appropriate initial concentration for A.

[tex].25mol/5.0L=.5M, mol A reacted~=~.5M-.20M=.3M[/tex]

It should be 2.5mol/5L=.5M
Anyway, finding the number of moles is the same thing. If 0.75 moles of B and C are formed, then the concentration of each is 0.75/5= 0.15 M. That's why in your initial post, instead of 0.25/5, it should be 0.75/5=0.15M. (As you wrote in the last post)

Last edited:

1. What is the equilibrium constant Kc and how is it calculated?

The equilibrium constant Kc is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is calculated by taking the concentrations of the products raised to their stoichiometric coefficients, divided by the concentrations of the reactants raised to their stoichiometric coefficients.

2. How do you determine the units of the equilibrium constant Kc?

The units of the equilibrium constant Kc depend on the overall reaction order. If the reaction is first order, the units of Kc are mol/L. If the reaction is second order, the units of Kc are L/mol. If the reaction is third order, the units of Kc are L^2/mol^2.

3. What is the difference between Kc and Kp?

Kc is the equilibrium constant in terms of concentrations, while Kp is the equilibrium constant in terms of partial pressures. Kc is used for reactions taking place in solution, while Kp is used for reactions taking place in the gas phase.

4. Can the equilibrium constant Kc change with temperature?

Yes, the equilibrium constant Kc can change with temperature. In general, an increase in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the endothermic reaction, while a decrease in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the exothermic reaction.

5. How do you use the equilibrium constant Kc to predict the direction of a reaction?

If the equilibrium constant Kc is greater than 1, the reaction favors the products at equilibrium and will proceed towards the right. If Kc is less than 1, the reaction favors the reactants at equilibrium and will proceed towards the left. If Kc is equal to 1, the reaction is at equilibrium and there is no net change in the concentrations of the products and reactants.