What is the process for composing rotations in Visual Complex Analysis?

In summary, the conversation is about a specific concept in "Visual Complex Analysis" by Dr. Tristan Needham that the person is struggling with. They are seeking suggestions and help in understanding the mechanics of the calculation for two rotations about different points. The other person explains the process of composing rotations and provides equations to help visualize it. They also offer to share a copy of the book or a scan of the page to further assist. The conversation ends with a summary of the process and a note about the limitations of the calculation.
Thomas2054
"Visual Complex Analysis"

I have gotten myself wound around the axel regarding something in "Visual Complex Analysis" (Dr. Tristan Needham) that should be easy.

On p. 18 (paperback edition), towards the bottom, the result for two rotations about different points has got me stumped. I cannot see my way clear to processing the two transfer functions in succession. Basically I am struggling with what to multiply and what to add in what order so as to end up with a rotation about the origin followed by a translation.

Suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks.

Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
lets ee here, a rotation is an isometry of the plane as is a translation. indeed every orientation preserving isometry is a composition of these two: proof: given an orientation preserving isometry f such that f(0) = a, compose f with translation from a to 0, and get an orientation preserving iusometry taking 0 to 0, which must of course (who could doubt it) a rotation.

i'm tired of this game. does this help?

I think I understand the concept, it is the mechanics of the calculation that I am stuck on.

Do you by chance have a copy of the book? If not, I can e-mail a scan of the page or put it on my website so you can look at the equation I am have trouble with, if you are willing to spend a few minutes.

When Needham does a single rotation about a non-zero complex point, he shows it done as a translation to the origin, a rotation about the origin, and then a translation back to the original point.

Then he shows how this can be done as a rotation along with the translation point "adjusted" for not being done at the origin.

OK, I am good to that point and I can reproduce the calculations, i.e., I understand what he has done.

When he does two rotations, about different points, I cannot do the math. I am an engineer and I am stuck on standard operations. I think I have an internal assumption and I am blocked from seeing a straightforward approach.

Thanks for your help.

Thomas

I have the book as a pdf. The process of composing rotations is conceptually simple. Recall that a single rotation about an arbitrary point is a translation to the origin, a rotation about the origin, and then the inverse of the translation to the origin. Composing two rotations means you simply calculate the sequence of translations and rotations that you get from expanding the two rotations.

If Ra, th is a rotation of th about the complex number a, and Rb, sg is a rotation of sg about b, then each rotation is expressible as:
Ra, th = Ta o Rth, 0 o T-a and
Rb, sg = Tb o Rsg, 0 o T-b
where Ta is just a translation by a.

If I expand a rotation into an equation, I get:
Ra, th = a + ei*th(z - a)

Notice how this works: we decompose the sequence of translations and rotations from right to left (that's what the notation really means. Think of the rightmost entity as the deepest layer of parenthesis). The rightmost motion is the first entity to act on the number z, so z shows up there in the calculation. Every motion to the left then acts on the previous motion, giving a sequence of motions which is reflected in the formula above.

If Ra, th is first and Rb, sg is second, then the sequence of basic motions (translations and origin rotations) is:
(Tb o Rsg, 0 o T-b) o (Ta o Rth, 0 o T-a) = Tb o Rsg, 0 o T-b o Ta o Rth, 0 o T-a

Now simply expand this into an equation:
Rb, sg o Ra, th = b + ei*sg((-b) + a + ei*th(z-a))

If you distribute the multiplications, you will get a rotation of z by th + sg about the origin plus a constant (a rotation followed by a translation). Of course, with a little algebra, this can be expressed as a single rotation about a constant point (the trick is, however, that th + sg cannot be an integer multiple of 2*pi since that would yield a rotation of infinite radius, which is just a movement about a strait line, a pure translation.

Hope this helped!

1. What is visual complex analysis?

Visual complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and behavior of complex numbers and functions using visual representations, such as graphs, diagrams, and animations. It involves using geometric and visual methods to understand complex analysis concepts, which can often be difficult to grasp using traditional algebraic methods.

2. Why is visual complex analysis important?

Visual complex analysis is important because it provides an intuitive and visual way to understand complex numbers and functions. It allows for a deeper understanding of complex analysis concepts and can aid in problem-solving and developing new insights. Additionally, many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields rely on complex analysis, making it a crucial tool for scientific research and innovation.

3. What are some common applications of visual complex analysis?

Some common applications of visual complex analysis include signal processing, electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. For example, complex analysis can be used to analyze and design electronic circuits, understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and model fluid flow in pipes and channels. It also plays a key role in the development of quantum mechanics, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. What are some visual tools used in complex analysis?

Some visual tools commonly used in complex analysis include Argand diagrams, Riemann surfaces, and conformal maps. Argand diagrams are graphical representations of complex numbers as points in a 2-dimensional plane. Riemann surfaces are surfaces that represent complex functions and their behavior. Conformal maps are visualizations of how complex functions distort and transform shapes.

5. How can I learn more about visual complex analysis?

There are many resources available for learning about visual complex analysis, including textbooks, online courses, and interactive visualizations. It may also be helpful to practice solving problems and creating visual representations of complex analysis concepts. Additionally, attending lectures and joining study groups can provide a deeper understanding of the subject.