Joining MENSA - How to Become a Member

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: IQs in the 130-140 range. Some people might find it helpful to take an IQ test in order to join MENSA, but I don't think it's necessary.
The IQ tests measures intelligence at the higher frequencies, I mean levels, as well as the Rayleigh Jeans formulation for blackbody radiation did energy. I feel it a logical assumption that the correlation would break there.

It seems foolish to assume that those who think so differently as to be labeled geniuses would do well on a test created for those of a different, more normal type of intelligence.

I wonder, what are the Love Quotient and Wisdom Quotient of you and I? Surely all people with a high LQ would answer that they would not let the fluffy, cute little kitten be eaten by the bear on an LQ test.

Prehaps I should start a HighWQ society, which hopefully, would have 0 members as they would all be wise enough to not fall for my underhanded money making scheme. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I got 134 on the first test "Ultimate IQ test" thingy.

Sir_Deenicus said:
The IQ tests measures intelligence at the higher frequencies, I mean levels, as well as the Rayleigh Jeans formulation for blackbody radiation did energy. I feel it a logical assumption that the correlation would break there.
I'm sorry, but what does "higher frequencies" mean??

What is high&noble about the ability to solve silly, logical puzzles?
(I'm quite good at them myself, but I don't regard that as my best asset.)

I knew tis would turn into anoth PF thread where everyine *****es about MENSA

where'd you get your "iq" of 135 from?

some test I think at the high iq society

well, it wouldn't be so bad to take an iq test, if you attend a university or college you may be able to schedule a Weshler Revised with one of the school psychologists (try university counseling services). They may charge you for the full fee, or perhaps give you a discount, or even deny your request; I imagine that most universities comply with such procedures, at least my previous university did (U of Iowa). You could also feign mental illness and they may give it to you for free, although they probably won't release your scores to you or MENSA, but rather tell you what your general weaknesses and strengths are, and your percentile :wink:

I would recommend Weshler over other tests, because it provides a comprehensive and completely professional/valid overview of where your strengths and weaknesses are. With other tests you'll just be dissatisfied and want to take more tests, in the end you'll eventually take Weshler and that'll be the end of your "iq" journey.

hypatia said:
I joined a group many years ago. There meetings were a nightmare of people bickering, telling other people how much they know, to the point where it was really rude. One year was enough for me. And not one of them was smart enough to make a good cup of coffee.
I'm sure some groups of MENSA are better then others. The trick would be to find a good group in your area.
You really have to wonder what sort of people are going to pay money simply to have the ability to say they belong to a group of geniuses.
"I am in the top 2% of the population in regards to intelligence."
"I am in the top 2% of the population in regards to intelligence and I have my Mensa card to prove it!"
You kinda have to wonder just how bright they really are.

No offense Hypatia. :redface:

Yomamma, join if you want to. But why do you want to? I know several people that were Mensa members (scientists at NASA that I knew) that quit because they said they had never met such a nasty, egotistical set of snobs in their life. They warned me not to join. Your score will put you at the bottom of the rankings, be ready to be looked down upon by those that scored higher. It seems to attract people that are insecure about their intelligence and need acknowledgment.

I don't know anyone that is currently a member that I can tolerate.

yomamma said:
some test I think at the high iq society
Have you had a real IQ test? Those online tests aren't real. I was tested at the request of my teacher when I was 11. What I scored back then is probably higher than I would test now. If you are just interested in what your real score is, then paying the nominal MENSA fee for the tests they give is fine, just realize that it will not be like the online version.

Evo said:
they said they had never met such a nasty, egotistical set of snobs in their life.
That's my experience exactly. I've never even thought of joining (since I was about 12). I'd far rather have a conversation with a construction worker or truck driver over some beers than be inundated by inanities from a bunch of jerks. (Ideally, of course, I'd prefer to be with PFers and some beers :biggrin: ) I've been in discussions of totally elementary subjects such as nuclear power generation with people who hadn't a clue what they were talking about except that they had to be right because they were geniuses in the top 2% of the population. I never had the heart to tell them that I'm in the top 1%, but it was tempting. The people who utilize their intelligence (any form thereof) in a useful manner are far more valuable than puff-balls who can't get over themselves.

Evo said:
Yomamma, join if you want to. But why do you want to? I know several people that were Mensa members (scientists at NASA that I knew) that quit because they said they had never met such a nasty, egotistical set of snobs in their life. They warned me not to join. Your score will put you at the bottom of the rankings, be ready to be looked down upon by those that scored higher. It seems to attract people that are insecure about their intelligence and need acknowledgment.

Hmm maybe I should join. I want to see a real world example of General Discussion.

Pengwuino said:
Hmm maybe I should join. I want to see a real world example of General Discussion.
It's GD without the humor or camaraderie.

oh wait, so its like the political section of GD...

Pengwuino said:
oh wait, so its like the political section of GD...
YES! That's it!

I did forget to say that yommoma may want to join for what ever help it may give in getting into college and with scholarships. Due to your age you may even be able to get a discounted membership fee or something.

Danger said:
That's my experience exactly. I've never even thought of joining (since I was about 12). I'd far rather have a conversation with a construction worker or truck driver over some beers than be inundated by inanities from a bunch of jerks. (Ideally, of course, I'd prefer to be with PFers and some beers :biggrin: ) I've been in discussions of totally elementary subjects such as nuclear power generation with people who hadn't a clue what they were talking about except that they had to be right because they were geniuses in the top 2% of the population. I never had the heart to tell them that I'm in the top 1%, but it was tempting. The people who utilize their intelligence (any form thereof) in a useful manner are far more valuable than puff-balls who can't get over themselves.
I love dive bars and the sort of people I meet there. I was just recently having a discussion with a friend of mine who hates the area I live in because he says the people are all trash and scum, this is because when he lived in the area he mainly interacted with druggies. He says that the area he lives in is much better. It's all plastic and pretentious. I always feel out of place there.

GCT said:
where'd you get your "iq" of 135 from?
134 :smile:
It's from that online link at the beginning of the thread.

You can do it for a laugh. Test like this don't mean I have an IQ of 134 it's just the score I achieved in the 'game'.

I scored 142, I think, when I was 11 (or was it 10, I can't remember) probably because my mind wasn't so full of trivia cr@p as it is today. Puzzles and patterns I find fairly easy but my memory for names is atrocious. Names of people, names of places for some reason I find very hard to retrieve.

I knew a guy once who was an excellent guitarist and could real of, so it seemed to me, every single member of all bands and what bands they used to play in as well as all the artists for graphic novels. He had great difficulty in basic maths however.

The IQ thing is only an indicator and it's pretty meaningless at that. I do them sometimes like some people read the astrology pages.

The Weshler Revised is not the most difficult test, if you put in an honest effort I'm sure that you can get a good honest assessment of your intellectual abilities (almost all psychologists use the Weshler for intellectual assessment), in my opinion this should be enough. I don't recommend taking any other tests however, the basis of such concepts as iq was originally based on the Weshler from what I remember. Of course, if one is taking an iq test for bragging rights, he/she should take another test. Most people, including some of my very smart friends (perfect SAT/ACT scores, Westinghouse winners, etc...) find such tests very distasteful.

I've visited several online sites which claim higher iq percentiles than MENSA. I personally find such endeavors pretty pathetic; one has an iq of 99.999999999999999 percentile and doesn't have one significant accomplishment, really, what does such an iq score really mean? One would imagine that concrete accomplishments come pretty easy with such an outstanding/extraordinary "ability" :confused:

I've taking some of these online iq tests and regularly scored >180s which did nothing to boost my self-confidence. I've already tested my abilities to a great extent in my academic endeavors...and my record is pretty good (3.9) but I had to muster up a lot of effort and anxiety over each and every test. However I would say that a good honest assessment of my iq is at the most a 90th percentile in relevance to weshler (although I've not taken it before).

And a have gained great respect for the true geniuses who had come up with such concepts all by themselves.

I knew a Mensan, but he was cool and worked and studied hard. He attended and spoke at the meetings, and I think that's the reason he joined - to share ideas with like-minded people. I don't remember how well it worked out for him though...

I considered joining, thinking it might look good on my college application or resume (or resumé, for you mensans out there :tongue2:), but I decided it wasn't a good enough reason.

Does anyone know at what age or grade they start testing people?

Rachel,
google.com/search?q=mensa+age+limit

--
there is no age limit for membership of Mensa - intelligence above the 98th percentile of the population is the only ...
--

honestrosewater said:
I knew a Mensan, but he was cool and worked and studied hard. He attended and spoke at the meetings, and I think that's the reason he joined - to share ideas with like-minded people.
The phrase like-minded is usually used in reference to disposition, not ability level.

hitssquad said:
The phrase like-minded is usually used in reference to disposition, not ability level.
It seems a certain someone is jealous of my ability to use words creatively. :biggrin:

I meant at what age someone will be given a professional IQ test. I'm just wondering if there is a general standard or if it depends on the test, tester, etc.

Edit: Okay, I see there are tests preschoolers and kindergarteners. That seems too young to me, but whatever...

Last edited:
Evo said:

Sooooooo true!

I joined Mensa on a whim about 8 years ago, and stayed a member for three years simply because I paid for a three year membership. THere was NOTHING for me in that whole group. They had an internet forum, but you needed to subscribe to Compuserve to take part in it (I think you STILL do!). THey had a mailserve chat group that was sporadic, poorly run, and continuously hijacked by a couple of "more Mensa than you" bullies. I couldn't wait for those second-rate monthly magazines to stop coming!

Ooh! I just remembered... in one newsletter, a member tells the tale of her visit to a 3rdf world African country and how she meets a cab driver who weaves a sad story of how he had to take his kids out of school because he could no longer afford it. The Mensan inquires how much a year of school costs and the driver replies (and this is almost a quote) "oh, madam, it is more than can be imagined, almost 20 dollars!"

The Mesan talks about how easy it was to be so magnanimous, and how it is our duty to make small sacrifices that make huge differences to others. She reveals that she paid for a year of school for the cabbie's two children.

The "genius" who wrote the colum, along with everyone involved with the publishing of the piece, NEVER realized that the clever cabbie rooked an American tourist for a $40 tip!

Chi Meson said:
The "genius" who wrote the colum, along with everyone involved with the publishing of the piece, NEVER realized that the clever cabbie rooked an American tourist for a $40 tip!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This reminds me of the book Why Smart People Can Be So Stupid.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
This reminds me of the book Why Smart People Can Be So Stupid.
That whole interview hovers on the brink of being a stupid quetion/anser mini thread:

Q:"Did any kind of unified theory of stupidity emerge from the research?"

(Unfortunately, most of the ansers make too much sense.)

Why children's IQs are tested

honestrosewater said:
Okay, I see there are tests preschoolers and kindergarteners. That seems too young to me, but whatever...
They use child versions of the tests. The child version of the WAIS (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale) is the WISC (Weschler Intelligence Scale for Children). The main reason children are tested is to help assess learning dysfunction. For example, if a child suffers from autism spectrum, a comprehensive mental ability test such as the WISC (the WISC features over a dozen individual and unique subtests) can help catch that since a peculiar profile of ability scores will likely show up in addition to achievement likely being incommensurate with overall ability.

Child IQ scores sampled at age 5 or over predict adult IQ scores and educational and social outcomes fairly well. (Below the age of 5, IQ scores are reliable and valid indicators of present performance level, but not reliable or valid predictors -- Jensen. Bias in Mental Testing. 1980. p281.)

bomba- click on the 'start test' words.

bomba923 said:
That's what I did in the first place-->and I got sent back to http://www.highiqsociety.org/flash/...ers/iqtests.htm :mad:
I had the same problem. I figured it was something with my security settings or the like, so I just gave up. I even tried typing the link, but it did the same thing. Maybe there's something wrong with the site. I took the test for exceptional intelligence before, so I know they worked at some time. Oh, it's working now.

Last edited by a moderator:
hitssquad,
You seem to know quite a bit about this. Do you know if or how I could get ahold of my test results? I was tested in first grade through school, about 15 years ago. I was asking about the age limit because my mom said they noticed I was different in kindergarten, but they said it was too early to test me then (I ended up being tested at a different school the next year). I'm just curious about how accurate the test was.

Evo said:
This is a more accurate test, in my opinion.

http://www.queendom.com/tests/iq/classical_iq_r2_access.html

I got 130 on that one but there was 2 questions that I left as 'don't know'.

There was one with 5 cities which I think were all capitals and I couldn't figure the odd one out and then there was one anagram which left me stumped.

You've got to laugh haven't you:
What does your score mean?
Wow! A score above 130 means that your performance on this test was way above average. Actually, according to this test, you are absolutely brilliant. Only a very small percentage of people score this high.
and then...

Click here to purchase your full results for only $6.20 US :yuck:

Obtaining childhood IQ records; getting tested as an adult

honestrosewater said:
Do you know if or how I could get ahold of my test results? I was tested in first grade through school, about 15 years ago.
No, but I would contact the school. Maybe you could pay to have the records forwarded to your university. Otherwise, they might want you to come down to the school in person with multiple forms of ID. I would think that they would not be willing to simply mail them to your house, because they wouldn't be able to be certain enough that you weren't some nefarious person trying to obtain someone else's psychological records.

If you want to see how predictive it was (and if you have not been tested recently), you might have yourself assessed for learning disabilities (LD college students can sometimes qualify for reduced courseload (where 9-11 credits qualifies as full-time enrollment and tuition cost is cut down to 3/4), extra testing time, etc.) since LD assessment normally includes testing with a comprehensive mental ability scale such as the WAIS (or, somewhat less commonly, the Stanford-Binet — which is very similar to the WAIS but published by a different company).

Here at Oregon State University, the campus disability office gave me a list of private off-campus LD assessors. If you have health insurance, it might cover LD assessment. Adult LD assessment typically costs around $300-1000 (and I suspect one gets what one pays for).