Solving RealPlayer Error: Invalid Host String in URL

In summary: There are many other good, free options available for configuring your Real player. In summary, if you are using a proxy, you need to enter the proxy information in the "use proxy" box in realplayer. If you are not using a proxy, you need to enter the internet address of the proxy in the "use internet address" box.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I always watch the news over the internet, but all of a sudden I get an error from my RealPlayer, Invalid host string in URL or something. It tells me to do the following:

Select the Use PNA and Use RTSP Proxy checkboxes and enter the information providy by your Network Administrator or Internet Service Provider.

I know how to check the boxes, but what information should I enter??

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why do you use realplayer?

1) where are you trying to watch the video (work or home)

2) Are you using a proxy. If your not sure then open internet explorer then go to tools->Internet Options->Connections Tab->Lan Settings

If anything else is checked other than Automatically Detect Settings and there is an internet address in one of the boxes then use the address for the proxy settings in realplayer.

If Auto Detect Settings is the only thing checked then make you have the proxy check boxes in realplayer unchecked

I am trying to watch the news at home, the only reason that I am using Real Player, is that it automatically opens it.. http://cgi.omroep.nl/cgi-bin/play?/tv/nos/journaal/laatste.rm that is the URL.

I did what you said, what if should I do when nothing at all is checked? (not automatic nor proxy)

I tried an automatic configuration from the RealPlayer to the internet, it says the realplayer is configured to play through the TCP protocol?!

The strange thing is: it used to work just fine, the error message appeared recently and I haven't got a clue why :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried opening the URL in windows media player, but it says the filetype is not supported, annoying :s

This is getting weirder, I found a different link on the same site that works..

http://www.omroep.nl/nos/nieuws/images/menu_streaming.gif

You got me. I'm not much of a windows user anymore. try google.

Yeah, well, good thing I found a working link.. that is all that matters to me I can watch my 8 o'clock news again while browsing PF :wink:

Originally posted by Monique
I just tried opening the URL in windows media player, but it says the filetype is not supported, annoying :s
That’s because both are proprietary and in competition with each another. By law, MS is not allowed to have their Media Player work with Real media. There are, however, other choices available (such as Real Alternative, and QuickTime Alternative) that will install the engines without the intrusive players. Both of the mentioned Alternatives give you the option to install Media Player Classic, which looks like the old Media Player from MS but has much more functionality. MPC can open the links to Real Media files just the way the Real Player does. Additionally, you can purchase programs to download the streamed Real Media files (there may be over a hundred smaller files feeding the stream) then assemble the mess of files into one coherent media file.

This is getting weirder, I found a different link on the same site that works..

http://www.omroep.nl/nos/nieuws/ima...u_streaming.gif
No, not getting weirder; notice the extentions, one is .rm the other is .gif.

Anyway, here is a link to help you with configuring;
http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/real.html

Good luck.

[edit]
Oops, sorry, that link is to a shareware program. I didn't take time to read it prior to posting it.

1. What does the error message "Invalid Host String in URL" mean?

The error message "Invalid Host String in URL" means that the URL being used by RealPlayer is either incorrect or incomplete. This can happen if there is a typo in the URL or if the URL is missing important components such as the host name or protocol.

2. Why am I receiving this error message?

You are receiving this error message because RealPlayer is unable to process the URL provided. This could be due to a mistake in the URL itself or an issue with the network connection.

3. How can I fix the "Invalid Host String in URL" error?

To fix this error, first check the URL for any typos or missing components. If the URL is correct, try restarting RealPlayer and your internet connection. If the issue persists, try using a different URL or contacting the website for assistance.

4. Can this error be caused by a problem with my computer?

No, this error is typically not caused by a problem with your computer. It is usually related to an issue with the URL or network connection.

5. Is there a way to prevent this error from happening?

To prevent this error, always double check the URL before using RealPlayer to ensure it is correct and complete. Additionally, make sure your internet connection is stable and working properly.