Solve a Calculus I Fencing Problem: Minimize Cost

• Thread starter rafael_josem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optimization
In summary, the problem involves a farmer wanting to fence an area of 1.5x10^6 ft^2 in a rectangular field and divide it in half with a parallel fence, while minimizing the cost of the fence. This can be done by minimizing the length of the fence, which can be represented by the equation F= 3L+ 2W, where L and W are the length and width of the field.
rafael_josem
Hi, I have the following problem of Calculus I class... I don't understand it and I don't know how to resolve it, can anybody help me??

A farmer wants to fence an area of 1.5x10^6 ft^2 in a rectangular field and then divide it to the half with a parallel fence at one side of the rectangle. How can he minimize the cost of the fence?

thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that each "foot" of fencing costs the same, saying he wants to "minimize the cost of the fence" is the same as saying he wants to minimize the length of the fence.

Let L and W be the length and width of the rectangular field. Since the area of a rectangle is "length times width", we have LW= 1.5x10^6. If he had just a fence around the perimeter, it would extend along the length, the width, the length again, and then the width again: the length of the fence would be the perimeter of the rectangle: P= 2L+ 2W. However, we are told that the farmer is dividing the field in two by adding another fence parallel to one side of the triangle (NOT "at" one side- that is misleading). Taking it to be parallel to the width (it really doesn't matter which we call "length" and which "width") there is an additional fence length L. The total length of fencing is F= 3L+ 2W. This problem asks you to minimize F= 3L+ 2W with the condition that LW= 1.5x10^6.

1. How do I approach solving a calculus fencing problem?

To solve a calculus fencing problem, you will need to use the concepts of optimization and derivatives. First, set up an equation representing the cost of the fencing as a function of the length of the fence. Then, use the derivative of this function to find the minimum cost by setting it equal to zero and solving for the fence length.

2. What is the objective of solving a calculus fencing problem?

The objective of solving a calculus fencing problem is to minimize the cost of fencing a given area. This involves finding the length of the fence that will result in the lowest cost, taking into account the cost of materials and labor.

3. What information do I need to solve a calculus fencing problem?

To solve a calculus fencing problem, you will need to know the dimensions of the area to be fenced, the cost of materials per unit length of fence, and the cost of labor per unit length of fence. This information will be used to set up the cost function.

4. Can I use calculus to solve any fencing problem?

Yes, calculus can be used to solve any fencing problem where the objective is to minimize cost. This is because calculus is the branch of mathematics that deals with finding optimal solutions.

5. What are the limitations of using calculus to solve a fencing problem?

The main limitation of using calculus to solve a fencing problem is that it assumes a continuous and differentiable cost function. In reality, the cost of materials and labor may not be continuous, and there may be other factors that affect the cost of fencing that cannot be easily represented in a mathematical function.