Math Olympiad Corner- CMO,USAMO,IMO, and others

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to Olympiad level problem solving and is looking for a book called "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" by Paul Zeitz. They are also asking for the solutions, which are included in a separate Instructor's Manual, and are wondering how to obtain it. Other solutions and books are also mentioned and discussed.
Faizan Sheikh
Hello folks,
I am quite new to Olympiad level problem solving :smile: , which is why I am considering buying Paul Zeitz's "Art and Craft of Problem Solving". Does anyone have the solutions? I have heard the solutions are in a separate Instructor's Manual, does anyone know how someone can get that? Please reply as soon as possible. And feel free to use this Sub-forum to discuss any Olympiad level questions, or other related topics!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, and one more thing! Can anybody suggest me a Geometry book that covers all of Olympiad Geometry. I am asking for this because the Zeitz book does not have any geometry in it. Furthermore, does the Zeitz book (The Art and Craft of Problem Solving) have answers to the problems at the back?

Can anybody help me with the following problem:
The polynomial equation x^3 -6x^2 +5x-1=0 has three real roots a,b, and c.
Then determine the value of a^5 + b^5 +c^5. (COMC,PART B #4,2003).

Ok, I have a solution for you, but I don't know how to use the math symbols here, so it might look a bit bad.

You have x^3 - 6x^2 + 5x - 1 = 0, where a,b,c are real roots. You want a^5 + b^5 + c^5.
Now, the sum of all triplets of a,b,c = a*b*c = 1, the sum of all pairs of a,b,c = 5, and the sum of all single a,b,c = 6. We denote this by
PI_1(a,b,c) = 6
PI_2(a,b,c) = 5
PI_3(a,b,c) = 1
We want S_5(a,b,c) = a^5 + b^5 + c^5.
Notice that S_1 = a^1 + b^1 + c^1 = a+b+c = PI_1 = 6.
Also notice that PI_m = 0 for m>3.
From now on I will only write PI_1 for PI_1(a,b,c) etc.
We need to use the Newton-Girard Formulas.
First one says:
S_1 - PI_1 = 0, so 6-6=0, OK.
Next one:
S_2 - S_1*PI_1 + 2PI_2 = 0
S_2 = S_1*PI_1 - 2PI_2 = 6*6 - 2*5 = 26, so a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = 26.
Next:
S_3 - S_2*PI_1 + S_1*PI_2 - 3PI_1 = 0
S_3 = S_2*PI_1 - S_1*PI_2 + 3PI_3 = 26*6 - 6*5 + 3*1 = 129 = a^3 + b^3 + c^3.
Next:
S_4 - S_3*PI_1 + S_2*PI_2 - S_1*PI_3 + 4*PI_4 = 0
S_4 = S_3*PI_1 - S_2*PI_2 + S_1*PI_3 - 4*PI_4 = 129*6 - 26*5 + 6*1 - 0 = 650.
Do you see a pattern now? Try do S_5 yourself.

KAlVA

Do u know kalva?
If u don't then go to
www.kalva.demon.co.uk[/URL]
It's too good to be true
THANKS J SCHOLES!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have known kalva for some time now, and indeed it is too good to be true. But the thing is that I am quite new to olympiad level problem solving, so new that I really need to train myself. For that purpose I want to get my hands on Paul Zeitz's "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving". I have also heard from kalva and other sources that the solutions are in a separate Instructor's manual, which is hard to get hold of. So, #1, do you know how one can get hold of the Instructor's Manual? Or,#2, since, it seems that you are a regular kalva visitor, might I ask what books did you use to develop your olympiad problem solving skills?

yeah, the art of problem solving is a good book, they have a forum for people who like to problem solving, its at artofproblemsolving.com, the problems are quite motivating. I was way into doing these problems last year (senior year) but now I've slowed down a bit and i think that I've actually gotten worse at math since then :cry:

Thank you Tongos, for your reply. I am a big fan of "The Art of Problem-Solving" series myself. But you and others are missing the Point! I am not talking about "The Art of Problem Solving", but I am talking about "The Art and 'Craft' of Problem Solving" by Paul Zeitz. This book is a recommended follow-up to the Volume 2 of The Art of Problem Solving series. I want to know how someone can get hold of the solutions for this Paul Zeitz book because the solutions are in some kind of an Instructor's Manual.

Try Wiley's main page
http://he-cda.wiley.com/WileyCDA/HigherEdTitle/productCd-0471135712,courseCd-MA1200,pageType-supplements.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where my problem is! The website says that the solutions are included in an instructor's manual, which is obviously for instructors only! So my question is: How does one get hold of it, when one is not an instructor?

May I suggest paying for and having a math teacher in your school order it for you? I think you'll discover that teachers not familiar with you would be reluctant to "give" you the means to order it yourself. What assurances do teachers have that in reality you aren't looking for the solution manual to aid you unfairly in a class that you are taking? I would suspect that any decent teacher who cares at your school would be willing to take the time to find where it can be ordered from.

Unless you find an instructor who can get it for you, Wiley will not sell it to you. They are pretty strict in this regard.

Last edited:
So you guys think that I should just ask my math teacher? There is no course at my high-school that uses this book, so by getting the manual I will not be getting any unfair advantage over anybody. Do you guys know of any other books that are an equavalent to "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" by Paul Zeitz?

Do you guys know of any other books that are an equavalent to "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" by Paul Zeitz?

Yes, I gather that you want a book that includes solutions to most problem? If so, Arthur Engel's Problem-Solving Strategies is quite excellent, though it isn't as approchable as Zeitz's book. If you are able to at least answer one question on the USAMO, then by all means get Engel's book.

Larson's Problem Solving Through Problem remains as one of my favorite problem solving books, but unfortunately, it has no answers to its problems.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of Math Olympiad Corner?

The purpose of Math Olympiad Corner is to provide resources and information for students interested in participating in various math competitions, such as the Canadian Mathematical Olympiad (CMO), United States of America Mathematical Olympiad (USAMO), and International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO).

2. What are the eligibility requirements for participating in these competitions?

Each competition may have slightly different eligibility requirements, but in general, students must be in high school and have a strong background in mathematics. Some competitions may also have age restrictions or require students to be citizens of a certain country.

3. How can I prepare for these math competitions?

There are a variety of resources available for preparation, including past competition problems, study guides, and practice tests. It is also recommended to work on challenging math problems and practice time management, as these competitions often have strict time limits.

4. Can I participate in multiple math competitions?

Yes, many students choose to participate in multiple math competitions, as they cover different topics and offer different challenges. However, it is important to carefully manage your time and not spread yourself too thin.

5. What are the benefits of participating in math competitions?

Participating in math competitions can improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and mathematical knowledge. It can also be a great way to meet other students with similar interests and potentially open up opportunities for scholarships or admission to prestigious universities.