Solve Astronomy Problems: Tips & Formulas

• Thread starter astronomystudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary, the conversation is about various astronomy problems and the person asking for help is specifically looking for tips, formulas, or any kind of guidance to solve them. The problems range from calculating the diameter of Mars to determining the focal length of a telescope and finding the rotation period of a planet. The conversation also includes a reminder to show working or describe areas of difficulty when seeking help on forums.
astronomystudent
Astronomy Problems: Please Help!

I don't even know how to begin these problems. If someone could leave me tips or formulas or anything to help me solve these it would be greatly appreciated. Here are the following:
1. What is the diameter (in Kilometers) of Mars if it appears 18 arcsec in sized when it is 0.520 AU from Earth?

2. What is the focal length of the Meade 12 inch LX200 (12 inch x 25.4 mm/inch aperture) when it is used at f/5.86? How would a 15 sec exposure at f/5.86 compare to an exposure at f/20? What would be the pixel resolution for a 9 micron pixel at f/5.86?

3. What is the rotation period of Io (in days) if it is in a 1:1 resonance with Jupiter like our Moon is with Earth. Jupiter has a mass of 318 M(earth). Io's mass is insignificant and it has a semimajor axis of 421,600 Km. Remember you must use EMDs and lunar sidereal months with Earth masses or change to Solar masses, years and AUs!

4. If the diameter of a new Kuiper object was found to be 1/10th the diameter of Earth and its mass was 1/3000th of Earth, what would its density be (in g/cc or kg/m^3).

5. If a new asteroid has a period of exactly one year, but an eccentricity of 0.25, wherer are the aphelion and perihelion points (in AU).

6. What woul be your weight on a planet with a mass of 5.67 times the mass of the Earth and a radius of 13,456 km? What would be the density of this planet?

Physics news on Phys.org
if I don't say it, someone else will... it'll really help your chances of getting helpful responses on these forums if you show at least some working or at least describe which parts it is that you don't understand, for instance; you're asking for formulas, but surely your lecture notes contain most things you need to know?

(i'll be on later and i'll give some of those questions a bash, seems like level 1 undergrad to me?)

if I don't say it, someone else will... it'll really help your chances of getting helpful responses on these forums if you show at least some working or at least describe which parts it is that you don't understand, for instance; you're asking for formulas, but surely your lecture notes contain most things you need to know?
(i'll be on later and i'll give some of those questions a bash, seems like level 1 undergrad to me?)

What are some common tips for solving astronomy problems?

Some common tips for solving astronomy problems include starting with the given information and known formulas, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and checking your work for accuracy.

How can I improve my understanding of astronomy formulas?

To improve your understanding of astronomy formulas, it can be helpful to practice using them in different contexts and to seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. It can also be beneficial to make connections between different formulas and their applications in real-world scenarios.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving astronomy problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving astronomy problems include using incorrect units, not properly converting between units, and not double-checking calculations. It is also important to be familiar with the order of operations and to carefully read and interpret the problem before attempting to solve it.

What are some useful formulas to know for solving astronomy problems?

Some useful formulas to know for solving astronomy problems include the laws of planetary motion, Kepler's third law, the inverse square law, and the formula for determining distance using parallax.

How can I approach more complex astronomy problems?

To approach more complex astronomy problems, it may be helpful to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts and to seek out guidance or assistance from a teacher or tutor. It can also be beneficial to use diagrams or visuals to better understand the problem and its components.