Integrating 1/sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) Using Trig Substitution: A Physics Problem

In summary, the problem involves a double integral of 1/sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) and the domain of integration is a square sheet. A trig substitution or a hyperbolic substitution can be used to solve the integral, depending on the shape of the domain.
perryben
On this physics problem i need to do a double integral (dx,dy) of 1/sqrt(x^2 + y^2 +z^2). Which looks easy enough at first, until I reallized (after many hours) I cannot figure out how to integrate it. I am sure at this point there is some trig substitution (learned too long ago...), but I am basically lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the shape of the domain of integration...?

If it's a circular one (even the [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2}[/itex] can be thought of as a disk of infinite radius), u can convert to polar plane coordinates...

Daniel.

Yah, but its a square sheet. thanks though

In that case, u can depict [itex] y^{2}+z^{2} [/itex] as a constant (wrt "x") [itex] t^{2} [/itex] and use a hyperbolic substitution, in this case

[tex] x=t\sinh u [/tex]

and then regroup everything and put "y" back and try to integrate the remaining (only of "y" dependent) function.

Daniel.

1. What is trig substitution?

Trig substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving expressions with radicals, using trigonometric identities to replace the radical with a trigonometric function. This makes it easier to solve the integral.

2. When should I use trig substitution?

Trig substitution is most useful for integrals involving expressions with square roots, especially when the degree of the radical is odd. It can also be used for integrals involving expressions with the form a^2 - x^2 or a^2 + x^2.

3. How do I choose the appropriate trig substitution?

The choice of trig substitution depends on the form of the expression in the integral. For expressions involving a^2 - x^2, use the substitution x = a sin(theta). For expressions involving a^2 + x^2, use the substitution x = a tan(theta). For expressions involving sqrt(a^2 - x^2), use the substitution x = a sin(theta). For expressions involving sqrt(a^2 + x^2), use the substitution x = a tan(theta).

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using trig substitution?

One common mistake is to forget to substitute back the original variable after solving the integral. Another mistake is to use the wrong trig substitution for the given expression. It is also important to check for any potential simplifications before solving the integral.

5. Are there any alternatives to trig substitution?

Yes, there are other techniques for solving integrals involving radicals, such as u-substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. However, trig substitution is often the most efficient and straightforward method for these types of integrals.