Diesel generator and capacitor question

In summary, you need a capacitor-start single phase motor to start the water pump. Other than that, you may want to consider using a flywheel on the diesel generator to help with surge current and continuous current ratings.
generaors1234
I am currently designing a water distribution system to be installed in Honduras and have run into a small problem. We plan on using a 1.5hp pump which runs at 115 v and 17 amps but the startup requires 106 amps. So to run the pump we need a 2kW diesel generator but to start we need at least a 12.5 kW generator and were told a solution to our problem might be using a capacitor and a smaller sized generator. The problem is that we don't really understand much about capacitors and were looking for any help you might be able to give such as what size and type of capacitors we might need. Thank you for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to use a capacitor-start single phase motor. Their locked-rotor amps for a 1 1/2 HP motor is about 90 amps (1800 RPM) or 80 amps (3600 RPM). At one time, there were repulsion start electric motors available, which used less starting amps, but they are no longer available. A flywheel on your generator will help. You should base the generator size on surge current rating, as well as continuous current rating.

Usually water pumps require less starting torque (and amps) than water pumps, so you may not need the locked-rotor amp rating on the generator..

Last edited:
Do a search on soft-start devices for single phase motors.

Bob S: Did you mean to say something else here: "Usually water pumps require less starting torque (and amps) than water pumps, so you may not need the locked-rotor amp rating on the generator.."? This is double talk.

Dr.D said:
Bob S: Did you mean to say something else here: "Usually water pumps require less starting torque (and amps) than water pumps, so you may not need the locked-rotor amp rating on the generator.."? This is double talk.
Sorry. I meant to say
"Usually water pumps require less starting torque than air compressors, so you may not need the motor locked rotor rating on the generator."

I am basing my estimates on the Emerson motor catalog: http://www.emersonmotors.com/products/ecatalog.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
The actual generator part of the "diesel generator" may be able to handle a significant short term over-current. Some it may even be possible to get away with just using a big enough flywheel on the diesel.

Other than that I second the soft-start idea. Really that would be the best approach IMHO

Bob S said:
Sorry. I meant to say
"Usually water pumps require less starting torque than air compressors, so you may not need the motor locked rotor rating on the generator."

I am basing my estimates on the Emerson motor catalog: http://www.emersonmotors.com/products/ecatalog.htm [Broken]

That is entirely believable. For the water pump, you don't have any losses during starting except flow losses through the valves. For the compressor, you have to begin compressing gas, which while it is not "lost energy" it is "stored energy" so it is temporarily lost at a time when you really can't afford to lose any energy from the system, i.e. during starting.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a diesel generator and how does it work?

A diesel generator is a type of electrical generator that uses diesel fuel to power an internal combustion engine. The engine is connected to an alternator, which produces electricity. When the generator is turned on, the engine starts and begins to rotate the alternator, which generates electricity.

2. What are the advantages of using a diesel generator over other types of generators?

Diesel generators have several advantages, including: high efficiency, low maintenance, long lifespan, and the ability to handle heavy loads. They are also more fuel-efficient and cost-effective than other types of generators.

3. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a diesel generator?

A capacitor in a diesel generator is used to provide a temporary boost of power when there is a sudden increase in demand for electricity. It stores excess electrical energy and releases it when needed, helping to stabilize the output of the generator.

4. How do you determine the appropriate size of a capacitor for a diesel generator?

The size of the capacitor needed for a diesel generator depends on the power output and the types of loads it will be powering. A qualified electrician or generator technician can help determine the appropriate size of capacitor for a specific generator.

5. What are some common maintenance tasks for a diesel generator and capacitor?

Regular maintenance is key to ensure a diesel generator and capacitor function properly. Some common maintenance tasks include checking and changing the oil, inspecting and cleaning the air filter, and testing the fuel and coolant levels. The capacitor should also be checked for any signs of damage or wear, and replaced if necessary.