Does Accelerated Thermohaline Circulation Increase Tropical Water Vapor?

• Thread starter kurious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circulation
In summary: Its hard to say, without knowing more about how the THC works and what the different parts of the ocean are like. Its possible that the water needs a longer time to make the journey.Its possible that the water needs a longer time to make the journey.
kurious
When the flow of deep cold water in the atlantic speeds up what causes
the amount of water vapour in the tropics to increase too.Could
magma in the Earth be heating the sea water or hydrothermal vents - presumably sea currents would have to move to a hot spot or somehow
encourage vents to release more energy.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
hmm, i'd say thermal vent won't have a big effect.
Its like trying to boil a swimming pool wit 20 guys holding a blowtorch.

Ocean currents are maily controlled by the sun and the balance of salt and fresh water.

Maijn:
Ocean currents are maily controlled by the sun and the balance of salt and fresh water.

Kurious:
I agree with what you say but is it not the case that even phenomena like the Milankovitch cycles cannot fully account for the energy changes involved in the thermohaline circulation?

kurious said:
I agree with what you say but is it not the case that even phenomena like the Milankovitch cycles cannot fully account for the energy changes involved in the thermohaline circulation?

Your right on that one.
But without calculating it, you can fairly easilly rule out thermal vents.
Consider the amount of water coming from themal vents, in relation to the watermass it vents into, it's peanuts.

Vulcano's are fairly save to rule out as well.
Being that their activity is very local, and not prolonged (could be rong on the duration).
I think their effect is relatively small compared to the Milankovitch cycles.
The Milankovitch cycles are an influence quite bigger than vulcano's and thermal vents, afteral the Milankovitch cycles are being held responsible for finishing the last ice-age (Berger (1991), and Laskar (1993)).

What does cause the changes i can't say, and i don't know if anyone does.
There are just to many influences to pick one (or a combination) to say, "yeah, that's causing it!".

Maybe Andre has some more info on this, afteral its related to his hobby: ice-ages.

Sorry missed this one. I have not really additional information on the variation in the THC. But something has been puzzling me. We consider de engine motoring the THC to be Atlantic surface water that cools due to prolongued evaporation. Hence it gets saltier but also enriched in heavy 18O oxygen because the lighter 16O oxygen evaporates more easily. Now the sinking heavy and salty water starts a journey of several thousand years close to the ocean bottom, whilst the surface water is refreshed mainly by light fresh precipitation water -hence heavy oxygen depleted - Consequently, after hundreds and thousands of years you would expect a distinct isotope differentiation between ocean bottom water and surface water. But this is not true. Have to find the link back but most of the ocean water is pretty much within less than a mil difference in isotope ratios.

My idea is that this is odd. Somebody agree, disagree?

"Now the sinking heavy and salty water starts a journey of several thousand years close to the ocean bottom,"

How do we know this? We have seen how the tanker spill of yellow rubber ducks migrated, but what about movements deep under the ocean?

"Consequently, after hundreds and thousands of years you would expect a distinct isotope differentiation between ocean bottom water and surface water."

Would you? The bottom of the ocean is not a desert. There is a lot of biological activity going on. And is saltwater a static thing? Does the salt affect isotopic behavior?

Last edited:
Andre you're now talking about the "conveyor-belt" right?

Does it take several thousands of years to travel that distance?
Thats a bit hard to believe.
The route it would take surely has some more elevated parts in it.
Thus the water would release some Co2 because of lowered pressure.

This appart from what the effects of life would be on the Co2 level.

Could you explain a bit more what you meant?

Right, well looking at this http://www.firstscience.com/site/images/articles/conveyor.jpg it appears that speeding up the conveyor belt would indeed bring more warm surface water to the Atlantic.

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/emartin/GLY3074S04/lectures/deepcirc.htm I wasn't that far off. :tongue2:

Again, my area of interest is the d18O and dD isotope ratios thoughtout the whole ocean. I used to have an excellent link showing the ratio / salinity properties throughout the Atlantic but can't find it back right now. Files too thick and no luck with google. Anyway it showed that the variation in isotopes is very small.

If the downdraft in the North Atlantic pushes heavy isotope enriched water down, then why isn't oceanic bottom water enriched in heavy isotopes?

The fact that it isn't, may be a very important piece of evidence for a few ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.geo.cornell.edu/geology/classes/Geo656/00notes/656_00Lecture36.pdf

Thanx, Nilequeen, excellent study material.

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/tour.cgi/earth/Water/temp.html
This one?

What is thermohaline circulation?

Thermohaline circulation is a global ocean current system that is driven by differences in water density. It is caused by variations in temperature and salinity of the water, which create differences in density and drive the movement of water around the world.

How does thermohaline circulation affect the Earth's climate?

Thermohaline circulation plays a crucial role in regulating the Earth's climate. It transports warm water from the equator to the poles, and cold water from the poles back to the equator. This helps to distribute heat around the globe, keeping some regions warmer and others cooler. It also affects weather patterns and can impact the amount of carbon dioxide absorbed by the ocean, which can have a major impact on the Earth's climate.

What factors influence thermohaline circulation?

The main factors that influence thermohaline circulation are temperature and salinity. Differences in temperature and salinity levels in different parts of the ocean can create variations in water density, which drives the movement of water in the global ocean current system. Other factors that can influence thermohaline circulation include wind patterns, ocean currents, and the shape of the ocean basins.

Why is thermohaline circulation important to marine life?

Thermohaline circulation is important to marine life because it helps to distribute nutrients, oxygen, and other essential elements around the ocean. It also plays a role in regulating the ocean's temperature and salinity, which can have a major impact on the survival and reproduction of marine organisms. Changes in thermohaline circulation can disrupt the delicate balance of the ocean's ecosystem and have a negative impact on marine life.

Can thermohaline circulation be affected by human activities?

Yes, human activities can have an impact on thermohaline circulation. Climate change, caused by human activities such as burning fossil fuels, can alter the temperature and salinity levels of the ocean, which can disrupt thermohaline circulation. Pollution and overfishing can also affect marine ecosystems, which can indirectly impact thermohaline circulation. It is important for humans to take action to reduce our negative impact on the Earth's climate and oceans to preserve thermohaline circulation and the health of marine life.