MI Paste: Calcium for Rebuilding Enamel & Dentin

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure how much of the whitening was from the paste, though).In summary, the website http://www.recaldent.com/ offers a product that claims to help rebuild enamel on teeth by using a calcium phosphate compound called recaldent. However, experts have found that while recaldent may have some benefits, it is not as effective as sodium fluoride in remineralizing enamel. Additionally, the effectiveness of recaldent is still under debate and more research is needed to fully understand its impact on teeth. Fluoride therapy is often used as a more reliable method for promoting remineralization, and combining fluoride with products like MI paste may provide better results for overall tooth health. It is important to note that
Pythagorean
Gold Member
http://www.recaldent.com/

is it true that putting a calcium product on your teeth can help rebuild your enamel? How is it absorbed? Do your tissue cells actually process it or does it just bond to dentin and "become" enamel?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pythagorean said:
http://www.recaldent.com/

is it true that putting a calcium product on your teeth can help rebuild your enamel? How is it absorbed? Do your tissue cells actually process it or does it just bond to dentin and "become" enamel?

No it won't, unfortunately it won't do a damned thing. The only calcium that's useful to you is the Ca in your blood.

Sodium Fluoride DOES help remineralize enamel, but its not magic... and that's if you use a high concentration, spit, don't rinse, and sleep on it.

Even then, it's only a maybe. Sorry Pythagorean.

I have to report counter to your intuition from my own experiences in the last couple weeks:

The dentists said recaldent does work (but he said fluoride is about 20 times more likely to remain in your dentin than calcium is, which is why we lose our calcium). He said it works through ion exchange, and for some reason it has to be calcium phosphate (phyosphorylation, possibly?)

I use both fluoride and recaldent, but recaldent you can leave on your teeth overnight (whereas ingesting fluoride can cause dental problems).

I've done some research too (google scholar of "recaldent")
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=recaldent

but sometimes hard to tell how the authors are associated with the product (sometimes they're the salesman, too)

Pythagorean said:
I have to report counter to your intuition from my own experiences in the last couple weeks:

The dentists said recaldent does work (but he said fluoride is about 20 times more likely to remain in your dentin than calcium is, which is why we lose our calcium). He said it works through ion exchange, and for some reason it has to be calcium phosphate (phyosphorylation, possibly?)

I use both fluoride and recaldent, but recaldent you can leave on your teeth overnight (whereas ingesting fluoride can cause dental problems).

I've done some research too (google scholar of "recaldent")
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=recaldent

but sometimes hard to tell how the authors are associated with the product (sometimes they're the salesman, too)

Ahhhh, that makes sense...

Oh, about fluoride, swalling it is FAR worse for your kidneys than teeth, especially at Rx levels.

I think I know how you'll understand this intuitively... call it a guess, but I think you just might. GIC (Glass Ionomer Cement) interacts in a very similar, but more lasting fashion... it might act as a guide for you here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_ionomer_cement

Wikipedia said:
The setting reaction is an acid-base reaction between the acidic polyelectrolyte and the aluminosilicate glass. The polyacid attacks the glass particles (also called leaching) to release cations and Fluoride ions. These ions probably metal fluoride complexes react with Polyanions to form a salt gel matrix. The Al3+ ions appear to be site bound resulting matrix resistance to flow, unlike the zinc Polyacrylate matrix. During the initial setting in the first 3 hours Calcium ions react with polycarboxylate chains.

Subsequently, the trivalent Aluminum ions react for at least 48 hours. Between 20 and 30% of the glass is decomposed by the proton attack. The Fluoride and Phosphate ions are insoluble salts and complexes. The Sodium ions form a silica gel. The structure of the fully set cement is a composite of glass particles surrounded by silica gel in a matrix of Polyanions cross-linked by ionic bridges. Within the matrix are small particles of Silica gel containing fluorite crystallites.

edit: maybe a bit more...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remineralisation_of_teeth (also shows I was wrong about serum calcium except during tooth formation)

Wikipedia said:
Fluoride therapy is often used to promote remineralization. This produces the stronger and more acid-resistant fluorapatite, rather than the natural hydroxylapatite. (Both are made of calcium. The fluoride takes the place of a hydroxide.)

Fluoride exerts its major effect by creating low levels of fluoride ions in saliva and plaque fluid, thus exerting a topical or surface effect. A person living in an area with fluoridated water may experience rises of fluoride concentration in saliva to about 0.04 mg/L several times during a day.[4] Technically, this fluoride does not prevent cavities but rather controls the rate at which they develop.[5] When fluoride ions are present in plaque fluid along with dissolved hydroxyapatite, and the pH is higher than 4.5,[3] a fluorapatite-like remineralised veneer is formed over the remaining surface of the enamel; this veneer is much more acid-resistant than the original hydroxyapatite, and is formed more quickly than ordinary remineralised enamel would be.[1] The cavity-prevention effect of fluoride is partly due to these surface effects, which occur during and after tooth eruption.[6]

Since there is no connection between the bloodstream and the enamel, swallowed calcium supplements have no effect on remineralization, nor does calcium deficiency remove enamel from the teeth.[2] The calcium used to rebuild teeth must be dissolved in the saliva.

Some remineralisation methods may work for "white spot lesions" but not necessarily "intact tooth surfaces".

image from Wiki commons:
424px-Enamel-fluoride-remineralization.svg.png

Ah, I see, fluoride takes the place of hydroxide. So using MI paste and fluoride rinse in combination is better than one or the other

Pythagorean said:
Ah, I see, fluoride takes the place of hydroxide. So using MI paste and fluoride rinse in combination is better than one or the other

Now that would be a very wise move, and the combination should also decrease sensitivity to a small degree if that's an issue. In my view, it beats the hell out of smearing potassium nitrate on your teeth.

You might want to look at an Rx called 'Prevadent', to use in combination, or the listerine with fluoride. I'm speaking from personal experience here... very effective IMO.

sensitivity isn't a problem; they make an MI+ paste, too, that has fluoride in it.

I've heard of fluoride causing teeth to become brittle, too.

The treatments are for my daughter (early childhood caries) so I don't use fluoride (except trace amounts to brush) for fear that she'll ingest it. So this makes the recaldent especially preferable.

I have some slight coloring, myself and the MI paste has definitely made it whiter.

nice yellow colors, btw.

Pythagorean said:
nice yellow colors, btw.

Thank you sir!

Pythagorean said:
sensitivity isn't a problem; they make an MI+ paste, too, that has fluoride in it.

I've heard of fluoride causing teeth to become brittle, too.

The treatments are for my daughter (early childhood caries) so I don't use fluoride (except trace amounts to brush) for fear that she'll ingest it. So this makes the recaldent especially preferable.

I have some slight coloring, myself and the MI paste has definitely made it whiter.

It's possible... I'd guess that any time you add 'hardness', you sacrifice flexibility. That said, enamel is already pretty darned tough and rigid. I think given this as a use for your child, you're making the right choice. She's probably find to begin with, and the only thing excess fluoride can do is strain the kidneys.

My personal experience... stay the hell away from soda. I had perfect teeth, then HS came along with a vending machine in the dorm. Goodbye perfect teeth.

nismaratwork said:
It's possible... I'd guess that any time you add 'hardness', you sacrifice flexibility. That said, enamel is already pretty darned tough and rigid. I think given this as a use for your child, you're making the right choice. She's probably find to begin with, and the only thing excess fluoride can do is strain the kidneys.

My personal experience... stay the hell away from soda. I had perfect teeth, then HS came along with a vending machine in the dorm. Goodbye perfect teeth.

Mom's the only one that buys sodas, but it's very minimal. We don't even give the baby fruit juice.

Pythagorean said:
Mom's the only one that buys sodas, but it's very minimal. We don't even give the baby fruit juice.

I should say that I meant large consumption, not reasonable consumption. I didn't think you'd be tossing your girl a 2 liter of cola and telling her to drink up before bedtime. :wink:

I wonder if that could be the topic of, 'The Indirect Action of Caffeine on The Parents: A Tale of Brutal Insomnia.'

1. What is MI Paste and how does it work?

MI Paste is a dental product that contains calcium, phosphate, and fluoride. These ingredients help to remineralize and repair damaged or weakened enamel and dentin by replenishing the minerals that make up these structures.

2. Who can benefit from using MI Paste?

MI Paste can benefit anyone with weakened or damaged enamel and dentin, including those with dental erosion, tooth sensitivity, or a history of dental cavities. It can also be used by individuals with dry mouth or those who have undergone orthodontic treatment.

3. How is MI Paste used?

MI Paste is typically used after brushing and flossing, either once or twice a day. It can be applied directly to the teeth using a finger or a soft toothbrush and left on for 3-5 minutes before rinsing. It can also be applied to a custom-fitted mouthguard and worn for a longer period of time.

4. Are there any side effects of using MI Paste?

MI Paste is generally well-tolerated and does not have any known side effects. However, individuals with a dairy allergy should avoid using MI Paste, as it contains casein, a milk protein.

5. Is MI Paste a replacement for regular dental care?

No, MI Paste is not a replacement for regular dental care. It is meant to be used as a supplement to good oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing, and regular visits to the dentist. It is important to continue practicing good oral hygiene and visiting the dentist regularly to maintain healthy teeth and prevent dental problems.