Edit option sometimes disappears

• Bug
  • Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
In summary, the user has noticed that they randomly lose the ability to edit some of their posts, regardless of their age. They are wondering why this happens and how they can fix it. Another user mentioned that all posts should become un-editable after a certain time limit, possibly 700 minutes. However, the original user has experienced this issue with posts that are under the time limit. They have also encountered this problem in one forum but not in another. They will try to provide more details if the issue occurs again.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I've noticed recently that I randomly loose the ability to edit some of my posts. It is not consistent which posts will loose the edit, I have some posts that are quite old that I can still edit and some from just yesterday that are now un-editable.

Any ideas as to why or how I could fix this?

Physics news on Phys.org
All posts should become un-editable after some time, not sure what the current limit is. Edit: 700 minutes.

If there are old posts that you still can edit, that's obviously something wrong.

Last edited:
Here's what someone told me.

Fredrik said:
I think the current limit is 11 hours and 40 minutes (700 minutes).

Yes, I just checked in forum configuration, 700 minutes it is.

Cheers guys

ryan_m_b said:
I've noticed recently that I randomly loose the ability to edit some of my posts. It is not consistent which posts will loose the edit, I have some posts that are quite old that I can still edit and some from just yesterday that are now un-editable.

Any ideas as to why or how I could fix this?

I ran into this problem last week, on some posts that were just a few minutes old, very much under the 700 minute limit. This happened to me in one of the math homework forums, but it did not occur in a different section (Computer/Programming forum, not the one in the homework section).

A little while later, things were back to normal, and I was able to edit previous posts of mine that were under the 700 minute limit.

I don't have any more details, so this information might not be very helpful. If I run into this problem again, I'll try to provide more details.

1. Why does the edit option sometimes disappear on my computer?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that you do not have the necessary permissions or access rights to edit the particular file. Another possibility is that the file is open in another program or being used by another user, which prevents you from editing it. It is also possible that the file is corrupted or damaged, which can cause the edit option to disappear.

2. How can I fix the issue of the edit option disappearing?

The first step is to check if you have the necessary permissions to edit the file. If not, you can try contacting the owner of the file or the administrator of your computer to grant you access. If the file is open in another program, you can try closing that program and then attempt to edit the file again. If the file is corrupted, you can try to repair it using appropriate software or restore it from a backup.

3. Can a virus or malware cause the edit option to disappear?

Yes, it is possible for a virus or malware to interfere with the edit option and cause it to disappear. Malicious software can alter or delete important system files, which can affect the functionality of your computer and cause unexpected issues like the disappearing edit option. It is important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and take appropriate measures to protect your system.

4. Is there a specific file format or program that can cause the edit option to disappear?

No, the edit option can disappear for various reasons and it is not limited to a specific file format or program. However, some file formats or programs may have stricter permission settings or be more prone to corruption, which can contribute to the disappearing edit option. It is important to ensure that your files are properly saved and backed up to prevent any potential issues.

5. Can a software update or change in system settings cause the edit option to disappear?

Yes, sometimes updates or changes in system settings can affect the functionality of certain features, including the edit option. It is possible that a new update may have altered the permissions or settings of your files, causing the edit option to disappear. In this case, you can try reverting the changes or updating to the latest version of the software to see if it resolves the issue.