Prove there is no homeomorphism that makes two functions conjugate

In summary: K, but x and y themselves are different and not equal to each other. but h(x) and h(y) are not both equal to z because x and y are different. so I don't think that contradicts it being one-to-one, do you see what I mean? Thanks again for the help guys!In summary, the conversation discusses proving the non-existence of a homeomorphism h such that h(g(x)) = f(h(x)), where f(x) = x3 and g(x) = x - 2x3. The conversation explores different approaches to solving the problem, including using the properties of conjugacy and fixed points. Ultimately,
razmtaz

Homework Statement

let f(x) = x3 and g(x) = x - 2x3. Show there is no homeomorphism h such that h(g(x)) = f(h(x))

Homework Equations

Def let J and K be intervals. the function f:J->K is a homeomorphism of J onto K if it is one to one, onto, and both f and its inverse are continuous

Def let f:J->J and g:K->K, then f is conjugate to g if there is a homeomorphism h:J->K such that h(f(x)) = g(h(x)). (Then use the inverse of h as the homeomorphism that makes g conjugate to f, as in the given question)

Thm. let f conjugate to g by h. then:
1. h(fn) = gn(h) for n >=1
2. if x* is a periodic point of f, then h(x*) is a periodic point of g
3. if f has a dense set of periodic points, so does g

Another question in the book goes: let f(x) = x3 and g[itex]\mu[/itex](x) = x - [itex]\mu[/itex]x3. Show there is no nontrivial polynomial h such that f is conjugate to g by h.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know nothing of topology so this question is difficult for me to start.

I want to show there is no h(x) such that h(x)^3 = h(x-2x3). this is from the definition/question statement, but doesn't really seem useful in helping me solve the problem.

My next intuition is that certain properties are preserved by conjugacy, so if I could show that one of them is violated then I would have a solution.
for example, periodic points are preserved by conjugacy, so if I can find a periodic point x* of g(x) for which h(x*) is not a periodic point of f(x), then i'd be in business. I used maple to determine that g(x) has period 2 points (1 and -1) and no period 3 points. I also know that 1 and -1 are periodic points of f(x). Can I use this in any way? The trouble I have here is that I don't know what h is going to "do", so I can't really use the theorem I quoted to claim that h(x*) won't be a periodic point for f(x).

Any ideas would be excellent. I found this other thread on proving no homeomorphism exists (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=423411&highlight=no+homeomorphism) but it seems a little different in that theyre showing two spaces arent homeomorphic to one another whereas I am showing that two functions arent conjugate... also much of the language of topology (compactness, connectedness..) is supposedly outside the scope of the course I am taking and not needed to solve this problem at all. so any hints/help?

thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
razmtaz said:

Homework Statement

let f(x) = x3 and g(x) = x - 2x3. Show there is no homeomorphism h such that h(g(x)) = f(h(x))

Homework Equations

Def let J and K be intervals. the function f:J->K is a homeomorphism of J onto K if it is one to one, onto, and both f and its inverse are continuous

Def let f:J->J and g:K->K, then f is conjugate to g if there is a homeomorphism h:J->K such that h(f(x)) = g(h(x)). (Then use the inverse of h as the homeomorphism that makes g conjugate to f, as in the given question)

Thm. let f conjugate to g by h. then:
1. h(fn) = gn(h) for n >=1
2. if x* is a periodic point of f, then h(x*) is a periodic point of g
3. if f has a dense set of periodic points, so does g

Another question in the book goes: let f(x) = x3 and g[itex]\mu[/itex](x) = x - [itex]\mu[/itex]x3. Show there is no nontrivial polynomial h such that f is conjugate to g by h.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know nothing of topology so this question is difficult for me to start.

I want to show there is no h(x) such that h(x)^3 = h(x-2x3). this is from the definition/question statement, but doesn't really seem useful in helping me solve the problem.

My next intuition is that certain properties are preserved by conjugacy, so if I could show that one of them is violated then I would have a solution.
for example, periodic points are preserved by conjugacy, so if I can find a periodic point x* of g(x) for which h(x*) is not a periodic point of f(x), then i'd be in business. I used maple to determine that g(x) has period 2 points (1 and -1) and no period 3 points. I also know that 1 and -1 are periodic points of f(x). Can I use this in any way? The trouble I have here is that I don't know what h is going to "do", so I can't really use the theorem I quoted to claim that h(x*) won't be a periodic point for f(x).

Any ideas would be excellent. I found this other thread on proving no homeomorphism exists (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=423411&highlight=no+homeomorphism) but it seems a little different in that theyre showing two spaces arent homeomorphic to one another whereas I am showing that two functions arent conjugate... also much of the language of topology (compactness, connectedness..) is supposedly outside the scope of the course I am taking and not needed to solve this problem at all. so any hints/help?

thanks alot

All you have to prove is that h such that h(x)^3=h(x-2x^3) cannot be one-to-one, I think you can easily find a pair of x's that lead to the same h(x) by making use of the fact that x-2x^3 is not one-to-one

Thanks! a lot simpler than what I was attempting to do.

Okay, so I ended up doing this question differently: since its a homeomorphism then it preserves the fixed points, and so h(g(x)) has a certain number of fixed points which implies that f(h(x)) has the same number, but f only has 1 fixed point and h(g(x)) has 3 i think, so that's the contradiction and thus h cannot exist.

however I still have a question about your method sunjin09: I can find two points that lead to the same h(x), but the thing is they arent different in the domain of h(x). what i mean is, I can find different points that make g(x) = 0 which are x = 0 and +/-(1/sqrt(2)), but putting these into h(x) would give h(0) each time, so yes, I am starting with different values (0, 1/sqrt(2), -1/sqrt(2)) but they are all coming down to h(0), so h still maps 0 to one value. how would I show that h isn't one-to-one?

just as another example, i can find two points that g(x) maps to the same value (cause its not one-to-one), so i can put each of these points into h(g(x)). but say g(x) maps the value to a number a, then we have h(a) each time, so this doesn't really tell us anything about whether h is injective or not. I don't know if youre still subscribed to this thread but if you are I would appreciate some clarification, cause I am still confused.

Thanks

razmtaz said:
Okay, so I ended up doing this question differently: since its a homeomorphism then it preserves the fixed points, and so h(g(x)) has a certain number of fixed points which implies that f(h(x)) has the same number, but f only has 1 fixed point and h(g(x)) has 3 i think, so that's the contradiction and thus h cannot exist.

however I still have a question about your method sunjin09: I can find two points that lead to the same h(x), but the thing is they arent different in the domain of h(x). what i mean is, I can find different points that make g(x) = 0 which are x = 0 and +/-(1/sqrt(2)), but putting these into h(x) would give h(0) each time, so yes, I am starting with different values (0, 1/sqrt(2), -1/sqrt(2)) but they are all coming down to h(0), so h still maps 0 to one value. how would I show that h isn't one-to-one?

just as another example, i can find two points that g(x) maps to the same value (cause its not one-to-one), so i can put each of these points into h(g(x)). but say g(x) maps the value to a number a, then we have h(a) each time, so this doesn't really tell us anything about whether h is injective or not. I don't know if youre still subscribed to this thread but if you are I would appreciate some clarification, cause I am still confused.

Thanks

Sorry about the late reply. If g(x1)=g(x2), then h(x)^3=h(g(x)) → h(x)=h(g(x))^(1/3) is the same for x1 and x2, because x^(1/3) is one to one, not h(g(x)). This is what I originally meant.

What does it mean for two functions to be conjugate?

Two functions are considered conjugate if there exists a homeomorphism (a continuous and invertible function) that maps one function to the other. In other words, the two functions have the same structure and behavior, but are written in different forms.

Why is it impossible to prove that there is no homeomorphism between two functions?

Proving that there is no homeomorphism between two functions is a difficult task because it requires showing that all possible homeomorphisms do not exist. It is often easier to prove that a homeomorphism does exist rather than proving its non-existence.

Can two functions that are not equivalent be conjugate?

No, two functions must be equivalent (have the same structure and behavior) in order for a homeomorphism to exist between them. If two functions are not equivalent, then they cannot be conjugate.

What are some techniques for proving that two functions are not conjugate?

One technique is to look at the topological properties of the functions, such as continuity, differentiability, and boundedness. If these properties differ between the two functions, then they cannot be conjugate. Another technique is to use algebraic methods, such as finding a property that is preserved under homeomorphism and showing that it differs between the two functions.

Are there any real-world applications for proving the non-existence of a homeomorphism between two functions?

Yes, this concept is important in topology and geometry, where understanding the structure and behavior of mathematical objects is crucial. It is also used in fields such as computer science, where knowing that two functions cannot be mapped to each other can help in designing more efficient algorithms and data structures.