YAME (yet another musing on engineering)

• Thread starter jehan60188
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the speaker is studying engineering and is looking to improve their resume and portfolio by creating various projects. They have experience with soldering kits and have recently made a countdown timer with an arduino. They are now considering making a hexapod but question the practicality and contribution of such a project. The speaker believes in making useful and practical projects, as demonstrated by their past project of a solar tracker.
jehan60188
I'm studying engineering. In order to pad my resume, and improve my portfolio, I try to make various doo-hickeys, widgets, and gadgets.
I grew up building from simple soldering kits (radio, line follower, i call it "legos with soldering"), and now I'm playing around with more open ended stuff.
I got an arduino, and made a countdown timer. And I'm ready to do more.
As I was looking at various hexapods online, I concluded I need 18 servos (6 legs, 3 points of articulation each)
That cost will add up!
So then I thought- "why?"

why should i make a hexapod?
it's already been done.
Will I be contributing something worthwhile to the world?
Besides practice in drafting, wiring, software, etc, what is there?
And if that's all there is, is it worth it?

Just something I've been kicking around. I've got some servos to order!

Engineering news on Phys.org
jehan60188 said:
I'm studying engineering. In order to pad my resume, and improve my portfolio, I try to make various doo-hickeys, widgets, and gadgets.
I grew up building from simple soldering kits (radio, line follower, i call it "legos with soldering"), and now I'm playing around with more open ended stuff.
I got an arduino, and made a countdown timer. And I'm ready to do more.
As I was looking at various hexapods online, I concluded I need 18 servos (6 legs, 3 points of articulation each)
That cost will add up!
So then I thought- "why?"

why should i make a hexapod?
it's already been done.
Will I be contributing something worthwhile to the world?
Besides practice in drafting, wiring, software, etc, what is there?
And if that's all there is, is it worth it?

Just something I've been kicking around. I've got some servos to order!

So that's really the point. Make things that are useful and fun for you. If you make a little robot, make it so that it can vacuum your place or something. The projects that you design and build to learn should also be useful for you in real life, if possible, IMO.

Thirty-four years ago I had a few primitive silicon solar cells. I wanted them to follow the sun all day long to gather the most energy possible. So I built a simple solar tracker (powered by the cells). The point is the same berkeman makes above: make something useful, something that solves a problem.

1. What is "YAME"?

YAME stands for "yet another musing on engineering". It is a term used to describe a piece of writing or discussion about engineering that may offer a unique or different perspective on the topic.

2. Who typically writes "YAME"?

Anyone with an interest in engineering can write a "YAME". This can include engineers, scientists, researchers, or even students who are passionate about the field.

3. Is "YAME" a legitimate form of scientific communication?

Yes, "YAME" can be a valid way to share ideas and thoughts about engineering. However, it is important to note that it may not have the same level of scientific rigor and peer review as traditional scientific publications.

4. How is "YAME" different from other forms of scientific writing?

"YAME" is typically more informal and personal compared to other forms of scientific writing. It may also incorporate personal experiences, opinions, and reflections on engineering topics.

5. Can "YAME" be used for academic purposes?

Yes, "YAME" can be used as a supplement to traditional academic writing. It can offer a different perspective and provide insights that may not be found in traditional scientific literature.