Calculating the Trajectory of Attracting Pucks Moving at Constant Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the hypothetical scenario of building a machine similar to an air-hockey table with magnetized pucks. The pucks can only move at a constant speed and the goal is to calculate the path they would take when attracted to each other. The speaker is trying to write a program to simulate this scenario, but notes that speed and velocity are different concepts. They also mention the need to set the speed as a parameter in the program to ensure a consistent magnitude of change in position.
spod
This is all hypothetical.

Say that I build a machine something like an air-hockey table with pucks that move on it.

Each puck has a magnet in it such that the pucks attract each other

Now imagine that the puck can only go at one speed. no faster and no slower.

If two pucks attract each other how can I calculate the path they would take ensuring that they always move only at a speed of X metres per second.

I'm trying to write a program to simulate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Note: speed and velocity are different things.

You will have to set the speed as a parameter in the program so that it is always the same - i.e. so that it's change of position in a standard time interval always has the same magnitude.
I'm not clear on what you are asking for: you reaise the situation you described is non-physical right?

Last edited:

1. What is constant velocity and torque?

Constant velocity and torque are two concepts commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the motion of an object. Constant velocity refers to an object moving at a constant speed in a straight line, while torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

2. What is the difference between velocity and torque?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. While both concepts involve movement, they refer to different types of motion in different directions.

3. How is constant velocity and torque related to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object will continue to move at a constant velocity and torque unless a force is applied to change its motion.

4. Can an object have constant velocity and torque at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both constant velocity and torque at the same time. This would occur when an object is moving at a constant speed and also rotating around an axis at a constant rate.

5. How do you calculate constant velocity and torque?

Constant velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. Torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.