U(1) Gauge symmetry

by dfttheory
Tags: gauge, symmetry, symmetry group, u(1)
dfttheory
Nov8-13, 11:52 PM
P: 2
So, I have a basic/general question here. I understand that, for example, the QED Langrangian has U(1) gauge symmetry. I also understand that this means (when you have written the Lagrangian with the covariant derivative) that if you transform the wavefunction ([itex]\psi \rightarrow e^{i \theta (x)} \psi[/itex]) and the covariant derivative, this Lagrangian remains invariant.

What I don't understand is this: what does it mean for the wavefunction to have this local symmetry? How do we know that electrons / photons are described by this theory? What principal of nature says that the wavefunction has this symmetry?

I know this is three questions, but I am just trying to get a sense of what informs the choice of symmetry in these theories before I continue transforming and writing gauge invariant theories.

Thank you for any attention you may pay this question!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
Global scientific team 'visualizes' a new crystallization process (w/ video)
dfttheory
Nov8-13, 11:58 PM
P: 2
I just realized that the discussions related to this may contain some of what I am looking for. I would be interested in any additional discussion about this. Thanks!

Register to reply