How position of quarks decide the type of elementey particles ?

In summary: They're just labels for the three different types of quarks.In summary, quarks are made up of sub-particles called "quarks". Quarks decide the type of element it is, as long as the quarks are arranged in the correct way.
jagdishdash
I red the book halliday resnick I come to know
protons and other such elementry particles are composed of further subparticles called quarks

also that these quarks decide rather its proton or antiproton
as if the arrangement of quarks are like 2up quarks up and 1down quark down then its proton
and if its 1down quark up and 2up quarks down then its antiproton
here comes my doubt if its so
while the proton and nutron interchanges their positions the proton moves down and up and left and right
at this time the proton's quarks postion changes to antiproton's quark position
but this doesn't happens ??
then how we can say that the position of quarks decide the type of elementry particle ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but I didn't understand this. Could you perhaps rewrite it? Also, it would help to gave something more specific than just "some books".

Likes 1 person
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm sorry, but I didn't understand this. Could you perhaps rewrite it? Also, it would help to gave something more specific than just "some books".

I re edited my thread and u can check it now rather itself explanatory to u know or not ??

Quarks come in different flavours, two of which are called "up" (##\mathrm{u}##) and "down" (##\mathrm{d}##), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark. It has nothing to do with position.

The proton is made up of two up quarks and one down quark (##\mathrm{u}\mathrm{u}\mathrm{d}##). The antiproton is made up of the corresponding antiparticles to those quarks, ##\bar{\mathrm{u}}## for the up antiquark and ##\bar{\mathrm{d}}## for the down antiquark. Therefore, the antiproton is composed of ##\bar{\mathrm{u}} \bar{\mathrm{u}} \bar{\mathrm{d}}##.

The 'up' and 'down' names for quarks have no connection to up or down positions in space.

Ok it means proton uud and antiproton anti uud
not the positions
thanx all

Historically, the names 'up' and 'down' referred to a representation in (non-spatial) isotopic spin that sometimes used up and down arrows for those two quarks. The same representation later led to the names 'top' and 'bottom' for the two heaviest quarks.

Meir Achuz said:
Historically, the names 'up' and 'down' referred to a representation in (non-spatial) isotopic spin that sometimes used up and down arrows for those two quarks. The same representation later led to the names 'top' and 'bottom' for the two heaviest quarks.

ok yah I got it atlaaast
thanx all

Names of quarks are purely made up - nothing to do with physics. Note that the intermediate level quarks are named charm and strange.

Then you have the quark color charges, red, green and blue, which have nothing to do with visual colors.

1. What are quarks and how do they determine the type of elementary particles?

Quarks are fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons, which in turn make up the nucleus of an atom. The combination and arrangement of quarks within a particle determine its properties and type.

2. What is the relationship between quarks and the periodic table of elements?

The periodic table of elements is organized based on the number of protons in an atom's nucleus, which is determined by the type and arrangement of quarks within the protons. This relationship helps us understand how different elements behave and interact with each other.

3. How many types of quarks are there and what are their properties?

There are six known types of quarks: up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom. Each type has a different mass and charge, and they combine in different ways to create different types of particles.

4. Can the position of quarks change and if so, how does it affect the type of elementary particles?

Quarks can change position and combine with other quarks to form different particles. This process is known as quark mixing, and it can result in particles with different properties and types.

5. What role do quarks play in the formation of matter in the universe?

Quarks are the building blocks of matter and play a crucial role in the formation of all the elements in the universe. Without quarks, there would be no protons or neutrons, and therefore, no atoms or matter as we know it.