Revolutionizing Nanotube Production

• Thread starter sid_galt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Revolution
In summary, the Nanotube Revolution is a very exciting and promising technology that has the potential to revolutionize many different industries. There are a number of books available on this topic, and I would recommend Applied Physics of Carbon Nanotubes: Fundamentals of Theory, Optics and Transport Devices by Slava Rotkin and Shekhar Subramoney as a good starting point.
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yeah I read the article today. Pretty damn amazing. Appl. phys. lett. had news on some dude that built a diode out of a nanotube. The news is at physicsweb and you can find the actual articles id there.

That is very cool.

That is more then cool, I wonder which companies will get the most use of it? I've been waiting a long time for a roll up TV.

Is the space elevator now within the realms of possibility?

The space elevator has a lot more going against it than just nanotubes required.

I've yet to catch the article itself, any information about actual properties the ribbon has ?

IIRC: Good conductor, as strong as (or stronger) that stainless steel, light.

Thanks, comparability to stainless steel mechanical wise gives it the placing was after.

Does anyone or here work with nanotubes / in nanotech?

I am very interested in this technology and would appreciate any recommendations if there are any good books on this yet.

In nanotech, there are actually quite a number of book already available. I've been meaning to get this new one : Applied Physics of Carbon Nanotubes : Fundamentals of Theory, Optics and Transport Devices by Slava Rotkin, Shekhar Subramoney ... anyone out there got a handle on whether this is good, would be newest?

As a general book I've used Carbon Nanotubes and Related Structures by Peter Harris, don't really now how it compares with the other books out there (searching amazon will probably lead to a number of alternatives) but for myself worked as a general intro (a few years older).

obviously these ribbons are only relatively strong (ie. compared to steel etc) but their real world strength is q small...so how would they be used to make super-strong materials? as the fibres of a composite or what?

Saoist said:
obviously these ribbons are only relatively strong (ie. compared to steel etc) but their real world strength is q small...so how would they be used to make super-strong materials? as the fibres of a composite or what?

Well being comparitively stronger than steel and kevlar isn't insignificant. The real world strength of these fabrics could be quite large, since you can easily layer them to increase total strength. They could certainly be used as fibres in a composite (which is already what tons of CNTs are used for each year, except not as a fiber), but the real value of this material is in its electronic and thermal properties. That is another place the strength is a benefit, because it allows you to generate robust production methods for electronics due to your material being able to handle the process.

Last edited:
By the way I did a little research, and as far as I can tell the technology is still missing one ingredient before this process becomes commercially feasible. While tons of MWCNT are produced each year, Zhant et. al's method requires the CNTs to be in an aligned forest before their process works. It is well known how to produce nanotubes in that configuration, but these methods in publication typically create small amounts, and are not obviously scalable.

If someone knows of another method of producing MWCNT in a forest at high production rate, please let me know.

Couldn't these sheets be used as a mroe efficient stroge madium for Hydrogen (for use in fuel cells)? I seem to remember hearing once that H could be stored in carbon nanotubes as a safer and easier alternative to pressurization or liquifaction.

Yes, and in fact at the same university that this last advance came from they have an entire project devoted to this. See the research thrusts at the http://nanotech.utdallas.edu/nn/index.asp [Broken] found at the University of Texas at Dallas.

Last edited by a moderator:
And they all sound so cute too ... nanophotonics, nanoelectronics, and nanoenvironmental, Thats a good link Locrian, thanks for posting it.

Thanks. Not to overstay my welcome, but if you like nanotech you might find the molecular torch useful. I just found it a couple of days ago and I thought it had a suprising amount of information. They've worked hard on it.

Yes they have, also some great links there, but several of them I can't access. But the info on Nano-Dots and solar cells is great.

hi please let me know the book and websites for basics in naotechnology

I'm still enjoying as a sort of a basic book concerning carbon nanotubes : Harris, Peter J. F. - Carbon nanotubes and related structures : new materials for the twenty-first century / 2003 . If there is something better, recent, newer out there would be mutually interested in knowing :confused:

I know this ribbon must be expensive, but does anybody know where to buy it?

nanotech basics

anu bedi said:
hi please let me know the book and websites for basics in naotechnology

Go to this website

https://www.nanohub.org/resources/1021/

A Gentle Introduction to Nanotechnology and Nanoscience
Author Mark A. Ratner

Last edited by a moderator:
h.g.Whiz said:
I know this ribbon must be expensive, but does anybody know where to buy it?

www.nanoindustries.com lists most (if not all) suppliers of CNTs, try to find something there.

1. What is nanotube production and why is it important?

Nanotube production is the process of creating nanotubes, which are tiny cylindrical structures made of carbon atoms. These nanotubes have unique properties such as high strength, flexibility, and conductivity, making them valuable for a variety of applications in fields such as electronics, medicine, and energy. Revolutionizing nanotube production could lead to improved and more affordable production methods, allowing for wider use of these versatile materials.

2. What are the current challenges in nanotube production?

The current methods of producing nanotubes, such as chemical vapor deposition and arc discharge, are expensive and time-consuming. They also produce a mix of different types of nanotubes, making it difficult to control their properties. Additionally, these methods often require the use of toxic chemicals and high temperatures, which can be harmful to the environment and human health.

3. How can nanotube production be revolutionized?

Nanotube production can be revolutionized by developing new methods that are more efficient, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly. This could include using sustainable materials and processes, as well as implementing advanced technologies such as 3D printing. Additionally, developing methods to produce specific types of nanotubes with desired properties could greatly expand their potential applications.

4. What are the potential benefits of revolutionizing nanotube production?

Revolutionizing nanotube production could lead to a range of benefits. It could lower the cost of production, making nanotubes more accessible for various industries. It could also reduce the environmental impact and health risks associated with current production methods. Additionally, the ability to produce specific types of nanotubes could lead to new and improved products in fields such as electronics, medicine, and energy.

5. What are the current advancements in nanotube production?

There have been several advancements in nanotube production, such as the development of new methods using sustainable materials and processes. Some researchers are also exploring the use of bacteria and enzymes to produce nanotubes, which could be a more environmentally friendly option. Additionally, advancements in nanotechnology and 3D printing have opened up new possibilities for controlling the properties and structures of nanotubes during production.