Calculating Length of Strand of Gold in "Rumpelstiltskin"

In summary, in the story "Rumpelstiltskin," the miller's daughter uses a spinning wheel that rotates at a constant speed of 7.5 m/s to turn straw into gold. This means that the wheel makes one complete revolution every 0.50 seconds. To find the length of a strand of gold that makes one full turn around the wheel, we can use simple geometry and dimensional analysis to calculate the number of meters in one revolution. This information is crucial in solving the problem.
matiishere
In “Rumpelstiltskin,” the miller’s daughter is spinning straw into gold on a spinning wheel that turns at a speed of 7.5 m/s, making one revolution every 0.50 s. How long is a strand of gold that makes one complete turn around the wheel?

I know I am supposed to be telling what I know, but frankly I have no idea how to do this. I do no know the equation. I also do not understand how the wheel spins at one speed; isn't it supposed to spin at different speeds in different parts??

HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to assume that the 7.5m/s refers to the speed of the perimeter of the wheel. Knowing that the perimeter of the wheel goes at 7.5m/s and that it makes one full revolution in 0.5 seconds, does that help? Applying only simple geometry now ^^

have you learned dimensional analysis?

multiplying 7.5 m by .5 s gives you the number of meters in one revolution, which is what you're looking for.

1. How did you determine the length of the strand of gold in "Rumpelstiltskin"?

To calculate the length of the strand of gold, I first had to make some assumptions and estimates. I assumed that the strand of gold was made up of individual threads, and that the threads were of a similar thickness to modern-day gold thread. Using the dimensions of a gold thread and the weight of the strand mentioned in the story, I calculated the approximate length of the strand.

2. Is the length of the strand of gold in "Rumpelstiltskin" realistic?

The length of the strand of gold in "Rumpelstiltskin" may not be entirely realistic, as it is a work of fiction. However, the calculations and assumptions made to determine the length were based on real-world data and estimates, so it is possible that the length could be close to accurate.

3. What other factors did you consider when calculating the length of the strand of gold in "Rumpelstiltskin"?

Aside from the dimensions and weight of the strand, I also took into account the type of gold used (pure or alloyed), as well as the density of gold. I also considered any potential errors or discrepancies in the measurements and calculations, and made adjustments accordingly.

4. Can the same method be used to calculate the length of other objects mentioned in "Rumpelstiltskin"?

The same method of calculation can be used for other objects mentioned in the story, such as the spinning wheel or the pile of straw. However, some adjustments may need to be made based on the specific dimensions and materials mentioned in the story.

5. How accurate is the calculated length of the strand of gold in "Rumpelstiltskin"?

The calculated length of the strand of gold in "Rumpelstiltskin" is based on assumptions and estimates, so it may not be 100% accurate. However, it provides a reasonable approximation based on the information provided in the story.