Spiderman Free fall problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving Spiderman falling from the top of a tall building. The problem is to find the height of the building given that he falls a certain distance in the last interval of time. The conversation includes various equations and approaches to solving the problem, with the final solution being h_2 = h - \frac{h}{n} instead of h_2 = 1 - \frac{h}{n}. The correct answer is h = 270m for n = 4.
me_duele_cabeza
EDIT: Thanks Hootenanny and Doc Al for looking and trying the problem. I figured out my mistake [tex]h_2 = h - \frac{h}{n}[/tex] not [tex]h_2 = 1- \frac{h}{n}[/tex]

I've been working on this for a sick amount of time, please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong...

The question is:

Spiderman steps from the top of a tall building. He falls freely from rest to the ground a distance of h. He falls a distance of [tex] \frac{h}{n} [/tex] in the last interval of time of ∆t of his fall. What is the height h of the building?

There's probably a much easier way to approach this but this is what I did (yea, there's room for a lot of error):

I made [tex]h_1 = \frac{h}{n}[/tex] and [tex]h_2 = 1- \frac{h}{n}[/tex]

[tex]V_{final}^2 = 2gh_2[/tex]
[tex]V_{final} = \sqrt{2gh_2}[/tex]

since Vfinal from 0 to 1- h/n is equal to Vinitial from h/n to h...

0 = [tex]h_1 + \sqrt{2gh_2} \Delta t - 0.5g\Delta t^2\\[/tex]
[tex]0.5g\Delta t^2 - h_1 = \sqrt{2gh_2} \Delta t[/tex]
[tex]0.5g\Delta t - \frac{h_1}{\Delta t} = \sqrt{2gh_2}[/tex]
[tex](0.5g\Delta t - \frac{h_1}{\Delta t})^2 = 2gh_2[/tex]
[tex]0.25g^2\Delta t^2 - gh_1 + \frac{h_1^2}{\Delta t^2} = 2gh_2[/tex]

I set [tex]\beta = 0.25g^2\Delta t^2[/tex] and plug in the values for h1 and h2

[tex]\beta - \frac{g}{n} h + \frac{1}{\Delta t^2 n^2} h^2 = 2g - \frac{2gh}{n}[/tex]
[tex](\beta - 2g) + \frac{g}{n}h + \frac{1}{\Delta t^2 n^2} h^2 = 0[/tex]

[tex]Ah^2 +Bh +C = 0[/tex]
[tex]A = \frac{1}{\Delta t^2 n^2}[/tex]
[tex]B = \frac{g}{n}[/tex]
[tex]C = 0.25g^2\Delta t^2 -2g[/tex]

and then I solved the quadratic. um, extremely incorrect...I was able to check my answer because the same problem was written as:

"Spiderman steps from the top of a tall building. He falls freely from rest to the ground a distance of h. He falls a distance of h/4 in the last interval of time of 1.0 sec of his fall. What is the height h of the building?"

in another source and the answer is h = 270m

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using [tex] v^2 = u^2 + 2as [/tex]
where [itex] v = final velocity, u = initial velocity, a = acceleration = g, s = displacement = h [/itex]
using your working above you could sub [tex] v^2 = 2gh [/tex] into the above equation.
Edit: Just a note to say that this solution neglects air resistance.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying.

That is the equation I used in the first step; should I be using it again somewhere else?

I guess I forgot to mention that we have only learned one dimensional motion and vectors so air resistance is still being ignored in all the problems.

Try using the kinematic formula relating distance and time:
[tex]s = 1/2 a t^2[/tex]

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just figured out what I did wrong ( [tex]h_2 = h - \frac{h}{n}[/tex] not [tex]h_2 = 1 - \frac{h}{n}[/tex]). :P

My question:
Spiderman steps from the top of a tall building. He falls freely from rest to the ground a distance of h. He falls a distance of h/ 3 in the last interval of time of 1.0 s of his fall.

I technically have the same problem, however a different n value. I am trying the solution here (obviously with 3 not 4) and can not find the correct answer... any suggestions? thanks alot

Scratch that, I was able to rearrange it and understand.

For a h/3 with a time of 1 sec the answer is 150...

1. What is the Spiderman free fall problem?

The Spiderman free fall problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the trajectory and velocity of Spiderman during his free fall from a building or other structure.

2. How is the Spiderman free fall problem solved?

The problem can be solved using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and projectile motion. The initial velocity and height of Spiderman are known, and the acceleration due to gravity is a constant. By using equations such as d = vt + 1/2at^2 and v = u + at, the final velocity and displacement can be calculated.

3. Is the Spiderman free fall problem realistic?

No, the Spiderman free fall problem is not realistic since it assumes that Spiderman is falling in a vacuum and does not take into account air resistance or other external factors. In reality, Spiderman's fall would be affected by his web-slinging abilities and the air resistance of his suit.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Spiderman free fall problem?

The principles used to solve the Spiderman free fall problem can be applied to other real-world scenarios, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or determining the landing point of a skydiver. It can also be used to design amusement park rides or plan safe landing zones for emergency medical services.

5. Can the Spiderman free fall problem be solved for any height or initial velocity?

Yes, the principles used to solve the problem can be applied to any height or initial velocity. However, for extremely high heights or velocities, the effects of air resistance and other external factors may need to be taken into consideration for a more accurate calculation.