What is the level of difficulty in understanding Gregory Chaitin's Meta Math?

• Thread starter Hacky
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the book "The Limits of Mathematics" by Gregory Chaitin and how it is available online on arXiv.org. The author notes that Chaitin can be pretentious and biased in his articles, but the book is still worth reading to form one's own opinion. Some readers found the book challenging, particularly in relation to number theory, but still enjoyed reading it.
Hacky
I bought the book and am finding it very interesting (perhaps the only flaw is that Mr. Chaitin at times assumes the typical reader is nearly as smart as he is). But when searching on arxiv.org for more of his work, I noticed that this entire book is on-line. I assume it is there because he wants folks to be able to access it, anyone interested in a basic book on number theory/incompleteness can at least give it a glance and decide if they want to purchase it.

Howard

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure he isn't just a crackpot?

No, he's not a crackpot. He is however very opinionated and not afraid to voice his opinions frequently and vocally, not to mention unnecessarily, and seemingly in a way that makes you think: what was the point of that article?

I looked at one of the hits for him at arxiv, a 1994 collection of rebuttals to an article by two people about 'theoretical mathematics' the first of which was be Sir Michael Atiyah. The few I read were informed discussions about the philosophical basis of mathematics and its practice. Except for Chaitin's which read as him trying to make himself sound like the cleverest, most important person in foundational mathematics.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Are you sure he isn't just a crackpot?
Cant classify him as a crackpot. He just sounds pretentious in most of his articles :smile:

Probably, you might just read this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Chaitin
Just to be sure, that this guy "can" make sense at times :biggrin:

@Hacky,
The book was up at arxiv and initially at his own homepage, even much before the book got printed.

@all,
The book is available here,
http://xxx.lanl.gov/pdf/math.HO/0404335

There are several reviews, available but they all seem biased at certain points to me. Its better to read it up yourself and make your own comments anyways.

-- AI

Okay, so he's an arrogant d**khead who tries to make his own discoveries seem more revolutionary than they are.
Plenty of those about, unfortunately.

I bought this book thinking I could handle it, but alas, it was far beyond me. I enjoyed reading it at times, but since some of the eariler concepts I wasnt able to grasp left the latter parts in the book usless to me. I didnt find the writing to be difficult just the number theory.

1. What is Meta Math by Gregory Chaitin?

Meta Math is a book written by Gregory Chaitin that explores the concept of algorithmic information theory and its implications for mathematics.

2. What is algorithmic information theory?

Algorithmic information theory is a branch of mathematics that seeks to understand the fundamental limits of computation and the relationship between information and randomness.

3. How does Meta Math relate to algorithmic information theory?

Meta Math delves into the concept of algorithmic information theory and its applications in mathematics, offering insights into the nature of randomness, complexity, and computation.

4. Who is Gregory Chaitin?

Gregory Chaitin is a mathematician and computer scientist who is best known for his work in algorithmic information theory and his contributions to the field of complexity theory.

5. What are some key takeaways from Meta Math?

Meta Math offers a deeper understanding of the limitations of mathematics and computation, and the role of randomness in these fields. It also raises questions about the nature of truth and the foundations of mathematics.