Discover the Properties of Haemoglobin: Boiling Point, Melting Point, and More

• Thread starter fomenkoa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the conversation is about finding information on the properties of haemoglobin and the heme group. The speaker suggests checking the Merck Index, but notes that some compounds may not have melting or boiling points due to decomposition at lower temperatures.
fomenkoa
hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone knew a site that would tell me the properties of haemoglobin such as its boiling point, melting point, etc.. I can't seem to find any. I am doing a project on the "heme group" and I need to find properties such as weight, bp, ml, etc for heme group, or at least haemoglobin. How should I go about it?

Thanks
Anton

Physics news on Phys.org
You should look in the merck index.

Keep in mind that there are compounds which do not have melting or boiling points --- they decompose at temperatures less than what is necessary to exhibit phase changes.

What is Haemoglobin?

Haemoglobin is a protein found in red blood cells that is responsible for carrying oxygen from the lungs to tissues throughout the body.

What is the function of Haemoglobin?

The main function of Haemoglobin is to transport oxygen from the lungs to tissues throughout the body. It also helps in the transport of carbon dioxide from tissues back to the lungs.

What are the properties of Haemoglobin?

Haemoglobin has several important properties, including its ability to bind to oxygen, its ability to change shape to accommodate oxygen binding, and its ability to release oxygen in tissues with low oxygen levels.

What is the structure of Haemoglobin?

Haemoglobin is made up of four protein subunits, each containing a heme group. The heme group is responsible for binding to oxygen. The four subunits are held together by weak interactions and can change their shape to accommodate oxygen binding.

What factors affect the properties of Haemoglobin?

The properties of Haemoglobin can be affected by various factors, such as pH, temperature, and the presence of other molecules like carbon dioxide and 2,3-bisphosphoglycerate. Changes in these factors can alter the affinity of Haemoglobin for oxygen and its ability to release oxygen in tissues.