Did Bush deceive us about WMDs in Iraq?

• News
  • Thread starter amp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire Fuel
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of evidence of WMDs in Iraq and the speculation that they may have been moved to Syria. Some suggest that this is another excuse for war and that it may be more important to find out where the weapons went rather than if they existed at all. There is also a discussion about the possibility of future wars with other countries, including Syria and Libya. Some participants express distrust towards Arab nations, while others point out the bigotry in such statements. The conversation also includes quotes from political figures about the existence of WMDs in Iraq.
amp
Were you guys and gals aware that WMDs in Iraq are no longer being sought with the fervor displayed at the start. Here is an article that gives one the feeling that this is so.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/01/11/Columns/Bush_s_deception_on_I.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The search was going to be void as there is no WMD's if there had been any then it would have destroyed the world

I'm sure i heard the other day on BBC news that WMD's had been traced to syria, but they haven't found them either, but there is supposed to be evidence to support the claims.

I feel another war coming on.

Hmmm means that we attacked Iraq for nothing, unless the weapons can be found. However we did get rid of Saddam Hussein so even if the reasons were unjust, we did the country a favour.

Another excuse for war...

the already overextended military doesn't need. I saw a thread asking about the decline of the U.S. by Timejim. If the present Admin makes the unwise decision to open another front that decline may not be far.

The weapons where moved from Iraq to Syria, or so i heard.

Might be because the labs were movable i heard which can be easily shifted away from even UN inspectors

I think that the Bush administration is doing the right thing and i don't see why people get stressed cos they picked on Iraq. People don't seem to realize that this costs money and resources. Yes Iraq was first because he is fighting daddy's war but there are other countries in the firing line to create peace.

Cant blame George W really, Saddam did plan on killing his mother.

So Which Country might be next after Iraq.

Any Idea?[b(]

Hopefully syria or lybia, they are always being uncooperative...lol even better..FRANCE! hehe, id join up for the sake of that!

Yea, heck mite as well take on all of mainland Europe, apart from the spanish, they are too lazy to be uncooperative.

But to be serious , i think it will be syria's haed next on the chopping block.

After Europe Than Africa Than Asia Than Australia So A new Hitler in the rising

Originally posted by Andy
The weapons where moved from Iraq to Syria, or so i heard.
I've heard the speculation too, but the evidence is pretty thin.

One thing though: people are asking the wrong questions: If the answer to "Does Iraq have WMD?" is no, then the followup should inevitably be: "where did they go?"

For some reason, few people are asking the question. Its an important question, but I think its because its not a politically popular question for either side to ask. If Bush's side were to ask, they'd have to admit there are no wmd now. If the Democrat/French side were to ask, they'd have to admit that there still could be wmd out there somewhere. Neither side wants to make the concession and as a result, we leave tons and tons of wmd unaccounted for with no one looking for them.
Hopefully syria or lybia, they are always being uncooperative...
Actually, a couple of weeks ago, Ghaddafi made some huge concessions and INVITED international inspections. Apparently, Bush has him crapping his pants.

thats probably cos the countries are playinng pass the WMD, libya probably has them underneath their dark glasses.

I think where have they gone is far more important than if they had them anyway, people need to understand that the iraqi's could hav destroyed them when they realized that the americans where definately going in, or did they move them into syria? which is more scary as far as I am concerned, can we trust the syrians not to use them or give them to the highest bidder?

Yeah who says the arab nations haven't got a pact, they could so easily be playing the coalition for fools. It does make you worry if we have mined to far, without placing supports.

Yea i agree, i mean no offence to any Arabs around here, but you can't trust them, i don't think they could care less about anyone other than themselves, because the man in the know (allah) tells them they are superior to anybody else.

Yea i agree, i mean no offence to any Arabs around here, but you can't trust them, i don't think they could care less about anyone other than themselves, because the man in the know (allah) tells them they are superior to anybody else.

Just a little FYI not all Arabs are muslims and not all muslims are Arabs. This is a very bigoted post.

Arabs?! You can't trust arabs?!

"Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction," -Dick Cheneyon August 26, 2002.

"We know for a fact that there are weapons there," Ari Fleischer on January 9, 2003.

"We know that Saddam Hussein is determined to keep his weapons of mass destruction, is determined to make more," -Colin Powell on February 5, 2003.

"We know where they are (WMDs). They are in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad," -Donald Rumsfeld on March 30, 2003.

"We have sources that tell us that Saddam Hussein recently authorized Iraqi field commanders to use chemical weapons," - George W. Bush on February 8, 2003.

"Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possesses and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised," -George W. Bush on March 17, 2003.

Dont take it religiously if this is true "Superior to others" which is obviously incorrect makes the religion foundation weak and above quote can disrupt whole humanity

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak

"Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possesses and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised," -George W. Bush on March 17, 2003.

WOOT that was said on my birthday what a pro!

Anyway they seem to have a lot of sources saying that there were WMD in the middle east, so why couldn't they have been moved??

Have you ever saw the movie Will Smith was

... in 'Enemy of the State' (or somethin) , If WMDs were moved 'Spy Satellites' would have detected and veiwed that or those events. The US was already overflying Iraq.

Originally posted by russ_watters
I've heard the speculation too, but the evidence is pretty thin.

One thing though: people are asking the wrong questions: If the answer to "Does Iraq have WMD?" is no, then the followup should inevitably be: "where did they go?"

For some reason, few people are asking the question. Its an important question, but I think its because its not a politically popular question for either side to ask. If Bush's side were to ask, they'd have to admit there are no wmd now. If the Democrat/French side were to ask, they'd have to admit that there still could be wmd out there somewhere. Neither side wants to make the concession and as a result, we leave tons and tons of wmd unaccounted for with no one looking for them. Actually, a couple of weeks ago, Ghaddafi made some huge concessions and INVITED international inspections. Apparently, Bush has him crapping his pants.

There was a good article in the New Yorker a few weeks back that talked about the chemical weapons. A prominent Iraqi scientist stated that they could not destroy the weapons sought by the US because they had been used against Iran and the Kurds. Evidently, they had lied about the extent of the chemical warfare they had practiced. It was a choice between admitting what they had done, or claiming that the weapons had been destroyed with no evidence or documentation.

As far as the biological agents are concerned, there was never any evidence that they were mounted into weapons. In fact, if I remember, the claim was they had access to precursor materials, not necessarily the agents themselves. Still, the precursor materials have not been accounted for. This is a bit of a dilemma. The precursor materials could be easily destroyed without a lot of precautions or fuss, but they could also be hidden without too much difficulty. I believe the entirety of the materials in question could be loaded into a single 18-wheeler. The chemical agents would take considerably more care to store, transport or destroy.

Njorl

Heh, i meant no offence, but i can't help but cause trouble.

Yeah its in our proud british nature that means we cause trouble.

Yea!

IRON MAIDEN RULE!

SCREAM FOR ME "THE WORLD"! SCREEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM FOR ME "THE WORLD"!...THE TROOPER!

oh yes. its a fab time to be British...

1. What is the evidence that suggests Bush deceived us about WMDs in Iraq?

There are several pieces of evidence that suggest Bush deceived the public about WMDs in Iraq. One of the main pieces is the fact that no actual WMDs were found in Iraq after the US invaded in 2003. Additionally, the intelligence reports used to justify the invasion were later found to be inaccurate and based on unreliable sources. There were also reports of pressure being placed on intelligence agencies to provide information that supported the belief that Iraq had WMDs.

2. Did Bush knowingly deceive the public about WMDs, or was it a mistake?

The answer to this question is not entirely clear. Some believe that Bush and his administration knowingly misled the public about the presence of WMDs in Iraq in order to justify their invasion. Others argue that it was a genuine mistake based on faulty intelligence. However, there is evidence to suggest that the administration ignored or dismissed information that contradicted their belief in WMDs, which implies a deliberate deception.

3. Were other countries also deceived about WMDs in Iraq?

Yes, other countries, including the UK, were also misled about the presence of WMDs in Iraq. The US and UK both used the same intelligence reports to justify their actions, and it is likely that these reports were also shared with other countries. However, some countries, such as France and Germany, were more skeptical about the claims and did not support the invasion.

4. Did the UN weapons inspectors find any evidence of WMDs in Iraq?

No, the UN weapons inspectors did not find any evidence of WMDs in Iraq. In fact, they reported that Iraq had dismantled its chemical and biological weapons programs in the early 1990s and had no active programs at the time of the invasion. This information was not taken into account by the US and its allies.

5. What impact did the belief in WMDs have on the US invasion of Iraq?

The belief in WMDs was a major factor in the US invasion of Iraq. It provided a strong justification for the invasion and helped garner support from the American public and other countries. However, the lack of evidence of WMDs after the invasion led to criticism and damaged the credibility of the Bush administration. The ongoing search for WMDs also diverted resources and attention from other important issues in Iraq, contributing to the destabilization of the country.