Solving Statistical Problems Without Population Data

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a statistics problem where they are given a set of data for a group of individuals and are supposed to infer the moments of the data as compared to the population as a whole. However, the data is not a valid sample of the population and the speaker is struggling to remember a method they learned in college that involves using a computer to generate data and statistical tricks to infer the moments of the entire population. They recommend investing in a small technical library and suggest Some Theory of Sampling by Deming and researching Heckman and statistics online.
JudasIscariot
need some help with statistics!

My problem is this: I am given a set of data for a group of individuals and from that data I am supposed to infer the moments of that data as compared to the population as a whole. The problem is, I do not have the relevant data pertaining to the entire population, only the data as it pertains to this group.

This group does not represent a statistical and random sampling of the entire population so any statistical moments computed from this group data has no relevance to the population at large. The data is not a valid sample of the population.

Now I remember having met this problem in college before and I was able to solve it because I got hold of a mathematics journal that tackles this very problem! The method involves heavy use of the computer to generate billions of data from the available data and then use the generated data plus some statistical tricks to infer the moments of the entire population!

Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the method! As I remember it there are several methods that have been devised to solve these class of problems, but I can't even remember what those methods are called!

I hope someone can help me...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're going to be running into problems like this in your work, it might be worth your while to invest in a small technical library.

I recommend Some Theory of Sampling by the great Deming (Dover) an oldie but goodie. It discusses some cases that may be relevant to your problem.

Also google on Heckman and statistics. He got the Economic pseudo-Nobel prize for developing an "economic" method of inferring population properties from just such skewed and possibly self selected data. Especially he addressed self selection (questionaires returned, etc.) and developed an analysis based on considering the rational optimization of benefit in returning or not returning the questionnaire. There are some papers online where he or his students discuss this methodology in particular cases.

Hi there! It sounds like you are facing a common challenge in statistics - inferring population data from a sample group. This can be a tricky problem, but there are some techniques that can help. One approach is to use statistical models to make predictions about the population based on the sample data. This can be done using techniques such as regression analysis or hypothesis testing. Another method is to use resampling techniques, such as bootstrapping, to generate a larger sample from the available data and then use that to infer population data. I suggest doing some research on these techniques and seeing which one best fits your data and research question. It might also be helpful to consult with a statistician or seek out resources from your college or local library. Good luck!

1. What is the definition of "Solving Statistical Problems Without Population Data"?

"Solving Statistical Problems Without Population Data" refers to the process of using statistical methods to analyze a sample of data in order to make inferences about a larger population, without having access to data from the entire population.

2. Can statistical problems be solved without population data?

Yes, statistical problems can be solved without population data by using various sampling methods to gather a representative sample, and then using statistical techniques to make inferences about the larger population based on the sample data.

3. What are some common sampling methods used in solving statistical problems without population data?

Some common sampling methods include simple random sampling, stratified sampling, and cluster sampling. These methods involve selecting a subset of the population to gather data from, in order to make predictions about the entire population.

4. How reliable are the results of solving statistical problems without population data?

The reliability of the results depends on the sampling method used and the quality of the data collected. If a representative sample is chosen and proper statistical techniques are applied, the results can be reliable. However, there may still be some margin of error due to the fact that the entire population was not analyzed.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of solving statistical problems without population data?

One potential drawback is the margin of error mentioned previously. Another drawback is the possibility of biased results if the sample is not truly representative of the population. Additionally, without access to population data, it may be difficult to fully understand the context and potential limitations of the results.