What is it like to become a new dad at an older age?

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
In summary: Welcome to the club of sleepless nights! It's 4:45 am my time (AST), and my little girl, now three months old, wants to play, not sleep. Hey, one thing I forgot to mention. Babies are a validation of string theory and parallel universes. In some parallel universe babies do not fill their diapers and ship it off to ours because I have found that more comes out of a baby into his/her diaper than goes in, in the first place. They also have levitation skills that degrade with age because you'll find out no matter where you put something you think is out of their reach, they'll get ahold of it.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm way too old for this, but I became a new dad yesterday. Mother and daughter doing well. Father terrified.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh so GREAT! Best CONGRATULATIONS!

Picked a name yet. Weight and length?

Props to the mom, and welcome to the world of poopy diapers and screams at 2 AM.

Congratulations! Wishing you and your family all the best.

Thats wonderful news! Congratulations..when will you sign her up for her own PF account?

George Jones said:
I'm way too old for this, but I became a new dad yesterday. Mother and daughter doing well. Father terrified.

You wouldn't be my physics teacher by any chance? :uhh:

He just had a daughter as well.

Anywho, congratulations :)

So... who do you suspect? :uhh:

Seriously, that's great George. Congrats.

Congratulations George. Is this your first?

George Jones said:
Hearty Congratulations! All the best to baby daughter, mom, you and anyone else in the household. :smile:

George Jones said:
I'm way too old for this, but I became a new dad yesterday. Mother and daughter doing well.
Congratulations! That's great!

Father terrified.
:rofl: At least you know where to send her when she needs help with her homework. :biggrin:

Congratulations! :smile:

That's wonderful, George. Congrats!11

Congrats! That is great!

Congratulations!

Woo Hoo! Welcome to the club.

(New meanings of the word "projectile" are forthcoming)

Thanks, everyone.

selfAdjoint said:
Picked a name yet. Weight and length?

Pareesa.

weight = 3050 grams = 6 pounds 11 ounces

length = 54 centimetres = 21 1/4 inches.

berkeman said:
Is this your first?

Yes.

daughters are so much better than sons. They love their daddies. It's awesome. Be prepared to be overwhelmed. I never thought I could love anything or anyone as much as I love my daughter. Although for the first four or five months she wasn't much fun.

George Jones said:
Congrats George!

Congratulations! Endearing Daddy!

Congrats.

I was 43 when my last was born... for the most part it went pretty well... The worst was the blurry eyed morning when, along with an unhappy baby the coffee pot overflowed, spilling coffee and grounds all over the kitchen counter. Now I had a mess to clean up, a unhappy baby and worst of all no coffee.

I survived.

Yea mom and dad... Welcome to the club of sleepless nights, worrying and all the rest of the joys that go with having a little one...

Thank goodness my little ones are grown, and they grew up without the usual childhood problems and rebeliousness. I guess my story to them when they were little about why in nature some mothers ate their young made an impression on them. :approve: Hey, it was a story my mother told to me. I was a very *good* kid. :bugeye:

winwizard3k said:
Congratulations! Endearing Daddy!

Integral said:
I was 43 when my last was born

Just a youngin'. :smile:

Dr Transport said:
Welcome to the club of sleepless nights

It's 4:45 am (Edit: make that 3:45; when I typed this, I was so bleary-eyed, I couldn't even read my watch!) my time (AST), and my little girl, now three months old, wants to play, not sleep.

Hey, it was a story my mother told to me. I was a very *good* kid.

I may need to use this ... and more - she's already a very stubborn girl. The mother says she gets this from the father; the father says she gets this from the mother.

Thanks again, everyone

Last edited:
Congratulations, George! It must be a great feeling! :smile:

Hey, one thing I forgot to mention. Babies are a validation of string theory and parallel universes, they have to be. In some parallel universe babies do not fill their diapers and ship it off to ours because I have found that more comes out of a baby into his/her diaper than goes in, in the first place.

They also have levitation skills that degrade with age because you'll find out no matter where you put something you think is out of their reach, they'll get ahold of it.

What is the ideal age to become a new dad?

There is no one "ideal" age to become a new dad, as every individual and family is different. Some may feel ready to become a father at a younger age, while others may prefer to wait until they are older and more established in their careers and personal lives.

What are the potential challenges of becoming a new dad at an older age?

Some potential challenges of becoming a new dad at an older age may include being less physically active and having less energy to keep up with a growing child, increased health concerns, and potentially feeling out of touch with popular culture and trends.

What are the benefits of becoming a new dad at an older age?

Some potential benefits of becoming a new dad at an older age may include having more financial stability and security to provide for a child, being emotionally and mentally more mature, and having a greater appreciation for the experience of parenthood.

How can someone prepare for becoming a new dad at an older age?

Some ways to prepare for becoming a new dad at an older age may include talking to other older fathers for advice and support, staying physically active and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and discussing any potential concerns or challenges with a partner or healthcare provider.

Are there any risks associated with becoming a new dad at an older age?

There may be some increased health risks for both the father and child when becoming a new dad at an older age, such as a higher chance of genetic abnormalities and potential health complications for the father. It's important to discuss any concerns with a healthcare provider and monitor one's health closely during this time.