Determining Bandwidth & Impedance of an Amplifier

In summary, The conversation discusses an amplifier with a open-loop gain of 10,000 and a bandwidth of 2MHz, and its input and output impedances. The question asks for the new bandwidth, feedback fraction, input impedance, and output impedance after reducing the gain to 50 through negative feedback. The speaker mentions being able to calculate the feedback fraction, but needing help with the rest. They are directed to read a chapter on feedback in a circuit design textbook and ask specific questions.
dave12
Ok I have this question that I am finding hard to answer. I understand that you guys won't answer homework questions but all I ask is a little point in the right direction. Heres the question anyway.

An amplifier has an open-loop, gain of 10,000 and a bandwith of 2MHz. Its input and output impedances without feedback are 50Kohm and 500ohm respectively. If the gain is subsequently reduced to 50, by application of negative feedback determine
a) The new bandwidth
b)The feedback fraction Beta
c)input impedance
d) Output impedance.

I think I can work out the Feedback fraction I make it to be, 0.0199.

But I am not sure on the rest, my notes don't tell me any way of working out the new bandwith or impedances.

Please can someone help me? Any formulas or hints apprecited.

Thanks in advanced Everything helps!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Originally posted by dave12
Ok I have this question that I am finding hard to answer. I understand that you guys won't answer homework questions but all I ask is a little point in the right direction. Heres the question anyway.

An amplifier has an open-loop, gain of 10,000 and a bandwith of 2MHz. Its input and output impedances without feedback are 50Kohm and 500ohm respectively. If the gain is subsequently reduced to 50, by application of negative feedback determine
a) The new bandwidth
b)The feedback fraction Beta
c)input impedance
d) Output impedance.

I think I can work out the Feedback fraction I make it to be, 0.0199.

But I am not sure on the rest, my notes don't tell me any way of working out the new bandwith or impedances.

Please can someone help me? Any formulas or hints apprecited.

Thanks in advanced Everything helps!

It would be ridiculous to give you this problem without covering feedback amplifiers first. Any decent circuit design textbook will have a chapter on feedback (See Gray & Meyer Ch 8 for e.g). You can't determine the input & output impedances with the information you've given because the result depends on whether it is series-series, shunt-shunt, series-shunt or shunt-series feedback. That is you have to know how the 'input' signal is sensed & how the output signal is applied by the feedback circuit.

For a start, gain with feedback is a/(1+af) = 50 and a = 10000. Solve for f. For the rest, you need to read a chapter on feedback & then ask questions. I don't think anyone can explain it all to you here.

Hi there,

Determining the bandwidth and impedance of an amplifier can be a tricky task, but with the right formulas and understanding of the concepts, it can be easily solved.

First, let's define some terms:
- Bandwidth: This refers to the range of frequencies that an amplifier can amplify without significant loss of gain.
- Impedance: This refers to the resistance to the flow of electric current in a circuit.

To calculate the new bandwidth, we can use the formula:
New Bandwidth = Original Bandwidth / (1 + Feedback fraction)

In this case, the original bandwidth is 2MHz and the feedback fraction is 0.0199. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:
New Bandwidth = 2MHz / (1 + 0.0199) = 1.98MHz

To calculate the feedback fraction, we can use the formula:
Feedback fraction = (1 / Gain with feedback) - (1 / Open-loop gain)

In this case, the gain with feedback is 50 and the open-loop gain is 10,000. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:
Feedback fraction = (1 / 50) - (1 / 10,000) = 0.0198

Next, to calculate the input impedance, we can use the formula:
Input Impedance = (Open-loop input impedance) / (1 + Feedback fraction)

In this case, the open-loop input impedance is 50Kohm and the feedback fraction is 0.0199. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:
Input Impedance = 50Kohm / (1 + 0.0199) = 49.75Kohm

Finally, to calculate the output impedance, we can use the formula:
Output Impedance = (Open-loop output impedance) * (1 + Feedback fraction)

In this case, the open-loop output impedance is 500ohm and the feedback fraction is 0.0199. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:
Output Impedance = 500ohm * (1 + 0.0199) = 509.5ohm

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always double check your calculations and plug in the correct values for each formula. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of determining the bandwidth and impedance of an amplifier?

Determining the bandwidth and impedance of an amplifier is important in order to optimize its performance and ensure that it is compatible with other components in a circuit. The bandwidth determines the range of frequencies that the amplifier can effectively amplify, while the impedance indicates the resistance that the amplifier will present to the circuit.

2. How do you measure the bandwidth and impedance of an amplifier?

To measure the bandwidth, a signal generator is used to input a range of frequencies into the amplifier, and the output is measured with an oscilloscope. The bandwidth is then determined by the range of frequencies that the amplifier can accurately amplify. To measure impedance, a multimeter is typically used to measure the resistance at the input and output of the amplifier.

3. What factors can affect the bandwidth and impedance of an amplifier?

The design and components used in the amplifier can affect its bandwidth and impedance. Factors such as the type of amplifier (e.g. Class A, B, AB, or C), the type of transistors used, and the circuit layout can all impact the amplifier's performance. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and power supply fluctuations can also affect the bandwidth and impedance.

4. Can the bandwidth and impedance of an amplifier be adjusted?

Yes, the bandwidth and impedance of an amplifier can be adjusted by changing the components or design of the amplifier. For example, using different transistors or adjusting the feedback network can alter the amplifier's bandwidth and impedance. However, it is important to note that these adjustments should be done carefully to avoid damaging the amplifier or creating instability in the circuit.

5. How do the bandwidth and impedance of an amplifier affect its performance?

The bandwidth and impedance of an amplifier directly impact its gain, frequency response, and stability. A wider bandwidth allows for a larger range of frequencies to be amplified, while a lower impedance allows for a higher output current. A poorly matched impedance can lead to signal distortion and reduced performance, while a narrow bandwidth can limit the amplifier's usefulness in certain applications.