How Can I Connect Multiple Modules in Verilog?

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary: Create a top-level module which creates instances of the four lower modules, and connects them with wires.
david90
Say I have 3 modules and I want them to connect them together (make them work together. Ie, output of one module would go into another etc.), how would I do this in verilog?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Create a top-level module that instantiates each of the three modules, and connects them with wires.

- Warren

instantiates ?[?] [b(] U mean create a 4th module that connects the 3 modules together with wire? Can u elaborate on the "wire" part?

Last edited:
Yes, make a top level module which creates instances of the three lower modules.

The "wire" keyword, surprisingly, makes wires.

Here's a simple example with two modules, sub_a and sub_b, and a toplevel module which connects their inputs and outputs.

module sub_a ( in, out );

input in;
output out;

endmodule

module sub_b ( in, out );

input in;
output out;

endmodule

module toplevel;

wire one;
wire two;

sub_a sub_a_instance ( .in(one), .out(two) );

sub_b sub_b_instance ( .in(two), .out(one) );

endmodule

My interpretation of ur code sub_a input is wired to sub_b output. Am I right?

Yup, it just wires the inputs of each to outputs of the other. Of course the names are not exactly well-chosen. I just wanted to demonstrate the concept.

- Warren

Thanks you've cleared it up alot. I have another problem. I'm trying to write a code for a chip that has 3 modules and the output of those three modules are connected to an AND gate. How do I go about doing that??

wire sub_1_output;
wire sub_2_output;
wire sub_3_output;

wire and_output;

and and_gate (and_output, sub_1_output, sub_2_output, sub_3_output);

- Warren

now that i have a one bit ALU, how would I link 4 of them together for a 4bit ALU? same method?

yep, just be careful not to mix up the carry signals...

What is Verilog language?

Verilog is a hardware description language (HDL) used for designing and modeling digital circuits. It is commonly used in the design and verification of digital systems, such as integrated circuits and field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs).

What are the key features of Verilog language?

Verilog is a high-level language that allows for efficient coding of complex digital systems. Its key features include the ability to describe hardware at different levels of abstraction, support for behavioral and structural modeling, and the capability to simulate and synthesize designs.

What is the difference between behavioral and structural modeling in Verilog?

Behavioral modeling in Verilog involves describing the behavior of a digital system using procedural statements, while structural modeling involves describing the interconnection of different components in the system. Behavioral modeling is typically used for higher-level design descriptions, while structural modeling is used for lower-level implementation details.

How is Verilog used in the design process?

Verilog is used in the design process for creating and testing digital circuits. It allows designers to simulate and verify their designs before implementation, which can save time and resources. Verilog is also used for synthesis, where the code is converted into a netlist that can be used for physical implementation on an FPGA or ASIC.

What are some common applications of Verilog language?

Verilog is used in a wide range of applications, including the design of microprocessors, digital signal processors, and data communication systems. It is also used in the development of consumer electronics, such as smartphones and tablets, as well as in industrial and automotive systems.