Learning to Cook: My Winter Break Experiences with Walter Staib

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary: Someone who makes bread? I swear someone on PF does.Heh, ZapperZee does.The only cooking necessary to survive is boiling noodles and using a grill. If you can grill a steak your job in learning how to cook is...well, pretty much done.
deerhake.11 said:
did someone say bread??

http://www.wowway.com/~deerhake.11/roll.jpg [Broken]
i love a good roll. just made them today.. may not look pretty, but i don't cook for display purposes :biggrin:
Those look delicious! Are they yeast rolls?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
scorpa said:
where all the hutterites live :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutterites

Interesting. I had never heard of these people. But then, I don't get out much. Maybe I should become a Hutterite.

Math Is Hard said:
what's a hutterite colony?

:rofl: Somehow calling them a colony makes me think of bees or ants. I'm probably the only one who finds this funny.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Somehow calling them a colony makes me think of bees or ants. I'm probably the only one who finds this funny.

I got the visual. :rofl:

Thr first thing I thought of was "The Swiss Colony" http://www.swisscolony.com
and I thought maybe Scorpa was talking about something like a Hickory Farms-type store.

Math Is Hard said:
Interesting. I had never heard of these people. But then, I don't get out much. Maybe I should become a Hutterite.

Haha trust me you shouldn't. The wiki article gives the basic idea, but there is a bit of misinformation and left out info to. It seems like most people outside of rural areas have no idea what Hutterites are so don't feel bad :)

Evo said:
Those look delicious! Are they yeast rolls?

yup. my mom's recipe... I had to learn how to cook them since i moved to college. I was going through withdrawal :rofl:

deerhake.11 said:
yup. my mom's recipe... I had to learn how to cook them since i moved to college. I was going through withdrawal :rofl:
Wow, I'm impressed! Yeast dough isn't a simple undertaking. But it can't be beat. :approve:

yeah I know.. I am 2 for 2 so far, but I've definitely seen what happens when things go wrong. I've eaten some pretty flat rolls in my day =)

im slowly building up my cooking talents: any meat via a grill, anything out of a box, and now yeast rolls. :biggrin:

deerhake.11 said:
yeah I know.. I am 2 for 2 so far, but I've definitely seen what happens when things go wrong. I've eaten some pretty flat rolls in my day =)

im slowly building up my cooking talents: any meat via a grill, anything out of a box, and now yeast rolls. :biggrin:
Go for it! When I left for college, I couldn't afford to eat on campus, nor was the food there very good. I cooked the food my mother had made all my life - baked beans, lentil soup, "French" soup (rice, potato, and onion soup with a tomato base), yeast rolls, breads, biscuits, spaghetti sauces, tuna/salmon casseroles, etc. If you can't eat well without relying on others, you have limited independence, and if you can't eat (well or not) without relying on restaurants, food services, and delis, you are lost. My freshman year, I was required to live on campus, and I suffered. Afterward, I had a modest apartment and I shopped and cooked for myself, and ate very well. I got lazy at times and cooked "batch foods" like spaghetti or baked beans that would provide lots of left-overs, but I usually cooked something every day. I baked a couple of loaves of whole-wheat bread every week, and kept stocked up on lettuce, mayonnaise, cheese, tomatoes, etc, so I could take decent sandwiches for lunch.

There's one really good bread that I forgot about until pigging out on some last night. The niece sent over some Indian stew and bannock. There are definitely advantages to marrying into a Cree family. :tongue2:

Ha, today I tried this sauce from Grodon Ramsey

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LpQwZnjtnpc

It tasted damn good!

I don't have creme fresh, so I used half heavy cream and half sour cream, and followed the rest from the video. Tasted f***in great!

(I used snow crabs instead of king crabs, because I like snow crabs better)

hmmm...you've just learned how to make sause? :grumpy:
Come on!Make me some kebab, boy! :devil:

Boy, it sure is nice to buy almost made stuff from the store. I just fried the sausage, then added some sour krout in the pan after it was done to heat it up (is that safe?), I boiled some pasta that had sauce already with it, and made salad dressing for the salad that comes in a bag. It all took about 20 mins to make.

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5048/pict0340la4.jpg [Broken]

Looks great Cyrus! Moonbear posted a great saurkraut recipe some time ago in the food thread.

You can eat saurkraut right out of the bag/jar/can without further cooking.

I really like the English custom of having mustard on sausage.

One German dish I have enjoyed at restaurants is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouladen" [Broken].

Evo said:
You can eat saurkraut right out of the bag/jar/can without further cooking.

:rofl: That's good to know......:shy:

Is it ok to put it in the same pan that I cooked the sausage with? I know your not supposed to touch things that have touched raw chicken.

'Kraut is preserved by brining. It's essentially shredded cabbage packed in salt, so it's fine to eat as-bought. Ain't nothin' bad going to grow in an environment with that much salt in it.

Still, you've got to learn to cook some stuff, Cy! Buying stuff and frying it or warming it up is very expensive and it gets old after a short time. Get some salt pork (or even better, a meaty bone from a ham-hock) and boil it with lentils, onions, celery, and some pepper and a little salt (not necessary if you use either salt pork or really salty ham) and see what you think. Carrots are very inexpensive and they keep well in the fridge, and they are also a nice addition to lentil soup.

turbo-1 said:
'Kraut is preserved by brining. It's essentially shredded cabbage packed in salt, so it's fine to eat as-bought. Ain't nothin' bad going to grow in an environment with that much salt in it.

Still, you've got to learn to cook some stuff, Cy! Buying stuff and frying it or warming it up is very expensive and it gets old after a short time. Get some salt pork (or even better, a meaty bone from a ham-hock) and boil it with lentils, onions, celery, and some pepper and a little salt (not necessary if you use either salt pork or really salty ham) and see what you think. Carrots are very inexpensive and they keep well in the fridge, and they are also a nice addition to lentil soup.

You're telling me. The grocery bill was 100 bucks for this and some other stuff. Yikes.

Cyrus said:
You're telling me. The grocery bill was 100 bucks for this and some other stuff. Yikes.
When I was in college, I ate a LOT of lentils, peas, beans, rice, etc. You can make some very tasty stuff for cheap, but you've got to get beyond the "heat and eat" model and get creative. You MUST have oregano, basil, some decent curry powder, and onion and garlic (in one form or another - dried or fresh) to have any hope of success, but the results can thrill you when you get it right.

I'd love to start a cooking school. My sensitivities to fragrance chemicals prevent that (can't be around the general public most of the time) but I think it would be a hit. I never cook from recipes (the big money-maker for TV cooks that can't cook) - just go in commando-style and work with what I've got. Last Sunday, my wife tried to follow a family recipe for French Soup (rice-and-potato soup with canned tomatoes and frozen/salted leeks, though she also added garlic scapes) and it came out crappy. Better than most restaurant fare or any canned soup, but still not up to par. The next day, I got some ground turkey out of the freezer, and we sauteed that with some Bell's poultry seasoning and some onions and mushrooms and added that to the soup. Ding, ding, ding!

Cyrus said:
:rofl: That's good to know......:shy:

Is it ok to put it in the same pan that I cooked the sausage with? I know your not supposed to touch things that have touched raw chicken.
Chicken sausage? Sure, once it's been cooked, no problem. Usually the meat is cooked with the saukraut, but I like the idea of cooking them separately also. My mother cooked spareribs with saurkraut at least twice a month.

Alton Brown showed how to mkae homemeade saurkraut, but with my luck, I am not attempting it.

Turbo, I would think Cyrus could probably teach us both about lentils.

Evo said:
Chicken sausage? Sure, once it's been cooked, no problem. Usually the meat is cooked with the saukraut, but I like the idea of cooking them separately also. My mother cooked spareribs with saurkraut at least twice a month.

Alton Brown showed how to mkae homemeade saurkraut, but with my luck, I am not attempting it.

No its pork sausage. But I know if you cook raw chicken, you're not supposed to let anything come into contact with the raw chicken or you can get sick.

So I got a cast iron frying pan. I put the sausage in it. Then I dumped the sauerkraut into it and cooked them both at once. Can I do that?

Evo said:
Maybe so. I lived within walking distance of a supermarket that was part of a very large regional franchise, and they had stuff like lentils that might have sold well in Boston, NY, etc but were dirt-cheap up here. Dirt-cheap > in my diet during college as long as it was healthy. I made casseroles with a base of lentils - once they soaked up water and got bulky they were better than pasta ($/yield) in lots of dishes. I'd boil them with garlic and onion, drain them, and combine them with other vegetables and herbs with a *thin* topping of stinky cheese to make a baked vegetable loaf. Slice like meatloaf, and serve with a tipping of tomato sauce with basil.

I was a skinny student, but I was not ill-fed.

Vegetarian love song: ♪ Teach me 'bout lentils, baaaaaaby... ♫

Cyrus said:
No its pork sausage. But I know if you cook raw chicken, you're not supposed to let anything come into contact with the raw chicken or you can get sick.

So I got a cast iron frying pan. I put the sausage in it. Then I dumped the sauerkraut into it and cooked them both at once. Can I do that?
You can do that, Cy. The best bet is to get some salt pork and sear that in the pan to release fats, then brown the sausage in those fats, then reduce the heat and dump in the 'kraut to heat it.

turbo-1 said:
You can do that, Cy. The best bet is to get some salt pork and sear that in the pan to release fats, then brown the sausage in those fats, then reduce the heat and dump in the 'kraut to heat it.

That would be the healthiness equivalent of cooking them with lard, wouldn't it? Not that there's anything wrong with that. The lard has feelings too.

BTW, for those without dietary restrictions concerning pork, salt pork is THE secret to high-temp pan-frying. Pork fat has a very high smoke-temperature and does not break down when searing like many vegetable oils. Many of my mother's culinary creations started with a heavy Revere-ware pot and salt pork. Most times, the pork ended up in the final product. She rarely steamed vegetables like fiddleheads or other greens, but the finely-cubed salt pork would end up getting spooned into your bowl with the boiled greens. That was a Depression-era mind-set, but it got our family through some hard times and I appreciate her example.

CaptainQuasar said:
That would be the healthiness equivalent of cooking them with lard, wouldn't it? Not that there's anything wrong with that. The lard has feelings too.

huh?

turbo-1 said:
BTW, for those without dietary restrictions concerning pork, salt pork is THE secret to high-temp pan-frying. Pork fat has a very high smoke-temperature and does not break down when searing like many vegetable oils. Many of my mother's culinary creations started with a heavy Revere-ware pot and salt pork. Most times, the pork ended up in the final product. She rarely steamed vegetables like fiddleheads or other greens, but the finely-cubed salt pork would end up getting spooned into your bowl with the boiled greens. That was a Depression-era mind-set, but it got our family through some hard times and I appreciate her example.

Do they sell salt pork at the local gorcery store or do I have to go to a butcher? Basically, just use the salt pork like you would normally use butter?

CaptainQuasar said:
When you cook with lard or pork fat, you can use MUCH higher temps, sear the food, and prevent further penetration of fat into the food. Food deep-fried in lard at proper temps sear very quickly, and ends up with less fat than those fried in vegetable oils. Plus, the nature of the fats involved favor lard over vegetable oils for heart health.

turbo-1 said:
I've never heard of putting salt pork in sauerkraut. The traditional German dish is made with pork spare ribs or sausages.

Although I love the flavoring of salt pork.

My mother used salt pork for black eyed peas and ham hocks for large white limas. OMG, large white limas cooked until they disintegrate, then add a bit of butter. My kids would suck that down like there is no tomorrow and they have asked me to teach them how to make it, now that they are on their own.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
Do they sell salt pork at the local gorcery store or do I have to go to a butcher? Basically, just use the salt pork like you would normally use butter?
Salt pork is pork-fat (often streaked with some meat that you might consider bacon) that is brined in salt. You should be able to get real salt pork from any butcher worth his salt, but the stuff in the stores might be fat that was soaked in a brine solution. Real salt pork is firm and solid-feeling, and is not wiggly-feeling when you want to cut it up. The salt used in the brining process pulls a lot of fluids out of the pork fat and that condenses and firms the fat.

When I was a kid, we would buy salt pork in quantity (we used a lot in cooking) and it always came out of small unrefrigerated wooden casks. Great stuff.

I bought a can of campbells clam chowder soup. I also bought some snow crabs that came packaged (pretty expensive though :rolleyes:) and cooked the two together. The crabs were sold unfrozen. Then I smashed some crackers and put them on the bottom of the bowl and then poured the soup on top and mixed it all up. Putting the fresh crab meat made the flavor of the soup pop out a LOT.

It was two big things of soup for $5. The crab was $7 and I used half of it. The crackers were probably like $4 for a big box of them.

Thats like $8 each meal. And you get two big meals out of it. It was a rather large can.

Cyrus said:
I bought a can of campbells clam chowder soup. I also bought some snow crabs that came packaged (pretty expensive though :rolleyes:) and cooked the two together. The crabs were sold unfrozen. Then I smashed some crackers and put them on the bottom of the bowl and then poured the soup on top and mixed it all up. Putting the fresh crab meat made the flavor of the soup pop out a LOT.
Man! If I could have afforded to eat like you are eating, I never would have had the discipline to learn how to cook!

turbo-1 said:
When you cook with lard or pork fat, you can use MUCH higher temps, sear the food, and prevent further penetration of fat into the food. Food deep-fried in lard at proper temps sear very quickly, and ends up with less fat than those fried in vegetable oils. Plus, the nature of the fats involved favor lard over vegetable oils for heart health.

Mmmm, I need more lard in my life.

Cyrus said:
huh?

Lard is rendered pork fat the way tallow is rendered beef fat. So melting the fat in a piece of salt pork, or cooking something in bacon grease, is basically the same thing as cooking with lard.

I guess that there were industrial processes in the U.S. beginning early in the last century that consumed those parts of the pigs for other purposes, which sort of weaned the general populace off of using lard for the same things it might be used in Europe for today.

<h2>1. What inspired you to learn to cook over winter break?</h2><p>I have always been fascinated by the art of cooking and wanted to expand my skills during my break from school. I also had the opportunity to work with renowned chef Walter Staib, which was a major motivation for me.</p><h2>2. What was the most valuable lesson you learned from Walter Staib?</h2><p>The most valuable lesson I learned from Walter was the importance of attention to detail in cooking. He taught me the significance of using fresh, high-quality ingredients and the proper techniques to bring out the best flavors in a dish.</p><h2>3. What was your favorite dish that you learned to cook during your winter break experience?</h2><p>It's hard to choose just one, but I would say my favorite dish was the classic French onion soup that Walter taught me how to make. The rich, savory flavors and the satisfaction of mastering a traditional French dish made it a standout for me.</p><h2>4. How did your experience with Walter Staib impact your overall cooking skills?</h2><p>I would say that my experience with Walter greatly improved my cooking skills. Not only did I learn new recipes and techniques, but I also gained a better understanding of the science behind cooking and how to experiment with flavors to create unique dishes.</p><h2>5. Would you recommend others to take a cooking class with Walter Staib?</h2><p>Absolutely! Walter is an incredibly knowledgeable and patient instructor who is passionate about sharing his love for cooking with others. Taking a class with him is not only educational, but also a fun and enjoyable experience.</p>

1. What inspired you to learn to cook over winter break?

I have always been fascinated by the art of cooking and wanted to expand my skills during my break from school. I also had the opportunity to work with renowned chef Walter Staib, which was a major motivation for me.

2. What was the most valuable lesson you learned from Walter Staib?

The most valuable lesson I learned from Walter was the importance of attention to detail in cooking. He taught me the significance of using fresh, high-quality ingredients and the proper techniques to bring out the best flavors in a dish.

3. What was your favorite dish that you learned to cook during your winter break experience?

It's hard to choose just one, but I would say my favorite dish was the classic French onion soup that Walter taught me how to make. The rich, savory flavors and the satisfaction of mastering a traditional French dish made it a standout for me.

4. How did your experience with Walter Staib impact your overall cooking skills?

I would say that my experience with Walter greatly improved my cooking skills. Not only did I learn new recipes and techniques, but I also gained a better understanding of the science behind cooking and how to experiment with flavors to create unique dishes.

5. Would you recommend others to take a cooking class with Walter Staib?

Absolutely! Walter is an incredibly knowledgeable and patient instructor who is passionate about sharing his love for cooking with others. Taking a class with him is not only educational, but also a fun and enjoyable experience.

Back