I need to know if this exists

• Thread starter lanchester
  • Start date
In summary, the equation to determine the energy output of a given weight being pulled by gravity is the same as the equation for work done by any other force, which is Work = force * distance. However, if you are looking for the power output of the weight, it can be calculated using the equation P = \frac{GMm}{R^2}\dot r , where \dot r is the radial speed or the speed toward the centre.
lanchester
is there an equation that could be used to determine the energy output of a given weight being pulled by gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's the same equation as the work done by any other force:

Work = force * distance.

lanchester said:
is there an equation that could be used to determine the energy output of a given weight being pulled by gravity?
I think you mean power (energy per unit time) of the weight. Since the gravitational force is:

[tex]F = \frac{GMm}{R^2}[/tex]

where R is the distance of the object from the centre of mass of the large mass (toward which the weight is gravitating), the change in energy by moving a distance dR closer to the centre would be:

[tex]dW = \frac{GMm}{R^2}dR[/tex]

so the power output would be:

[tex]P = dW/dt = \frac{GMm}{R^2}\frac{dR}{dt} = \frac{GMm}{R^2}\dot r[/tex]

where [itex]\dot r[/itex] is the radial speed or the speed toward the centre.

AM

1. What is meant by "I need to know if this exists"?

In the scientific context, this phrase typically refers to the existence of a certain concept, theory, or phenomenon that is being studied or researched.

2. What are some common reasons for needing to know if something exists?

Some reasons may include wanting to validate a hypothesis, searching for evidence to support a theory, or determining the potential impact of a certain concept.

3. How can I determine if something exists?

This can vary depending on the specific topic, but generally, it involves conducting thorough research, gathering data and evidence, and analyzing the information to come to a conclusion.

4. Is it possible for something to exist but not be proven or discovered yet?

Yes, there are many concepts and phenomena that have not been fully proven or discovered by scientists yet. This is why ongoing research and exploration are crucial in the scientific field.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest discoveries and advancements in the scientific world?

One way is to regularly read and follow reputable scientific publications and journals. Attending conferences and seminars is also a great way to stay informed and network with other scientists in your field.