What is the Concept of Zero Double Trace in Tensor Analysis?

• Thread starter kauw7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trace
In summary, the conversation discusses a tensor with the property of "zero double trace", which is unfamiliar to the speaker. It is a rank four tensor with symmetries of the Riemann tensor and can be described as an iterated contraction. The Weyl tensor is also mentioned as a possible explanation for the concept of "double trace". The conversation ends with a request for other ideas about the meaning of "double trace".
kauw7
Hello all,

I have recently encountered a tensor which is said to have the property "zero double trace". I am unfamiliar with the concept of a double trace and was hoping someone here could help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of tensor is it? Does it have a specific name?
How many indices does it have?

Hi thanks for the reply.

I don't think it has a proper name, but it has all the symmetries of the Riemann tensor. It is rank four and the indices run from 0:3.

Thanks

Iterated contraction

This can only mean, I think, an iterated contraction, e.g.
[tex]
{P^{ab}}_{cd}
\mapsto {Q^a}_d = {P^{am}}_{md}
\mapsto R = {Q^m}_m
[/tex]
But as you can see by permuting the indices, there are in general many such double contractions!

Incidently, the obvious guess is that you are reading about the Weyl tensor, aka conformal curvature tensor, which shares all the symmetries of the Riemann tensor but which is also "completely traceless". Did you see the concurrent thread on that object?

Is this what everyone else thinks the mysterious 'double trace' must be? I came across it in a paper on the standard model extension by A. Kostelecky and M. Mewes...

Does anyone have any other ideas about what they could be talking about?

What is a double trace?

A double trace is a scientific term that refers to the presence of two overlapping or parallel lines or marks on a graph or other visual display. It can also refer to the recording of two different signals on a single oscilloscope screen.

How is a double trace created?

A double trace is created by either graphing two related data sets on the same set of axes, or by using a special setting on an oscilloscope to display two signals simultaneously.

What is the purpose of a double trace?

The purpose of a double trace is to allow for the comparison or analysis of two related or independent sets of data. It can also help scientists visualize the relationship between two variables or signals.

What are some examples of when a double trace is used?

A double trace is commonly used in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It can be used to compare the behavior of different organisms, track changes in environmental conditions, or analyze the effects of different variables on an experiment.

What are the advantages of using a double trace?

Using a double trace can make it easier to identify patterns or trends in data, as well as compare the behavior of two different systems or variables. It can also save time and resources by allowing for the simultaneous analysis of multiple signals or data sets.