How does water repel for a split sec?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of water repelling a person upon impact, potentially causing harm. The main factors contributing to this are surface tension and the inability of water to move out of the way quickly enough. It is also mentioned that surface tension could potentially be reduced by detergents.
u83rn00b
This has always fasinated me, I am only like a kid so don't hate me!
:confused: :grumpy:When u dive into water, as soon as you hit, for a millionith of a second, the surface of the water kind of repels you. It is enough to (from a headdive) break your neck. But after that slight millionth of a second, the water kind of absorbs u.. How is it this happens? can any1 help mee??:grumpy: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Surface tension.

I think it's more a question of whether the water can move out of the way quickly enough. If you hit it hard enough, it can't flow around you. If the issue were surface tension, you could remove the effect with detergents.

Bing! Bing! Congratulation's cesiumfrog, you win a car!

I wouldn't be surprised if surface tension plays some role. But as Cesiumfrog said, it's probably that the water can't flow quickly enough. This is because water, like all liquids, is incompressible, and if it doesn't flow around a solid, it won't give way for that solid by any other means.

1. How does water repel for a split sec?

Water repels for a split second due to a phenomenon known as surface tension. The molecules on the surface of water are more tightly bonded together, creating a sort of "skin" that makes the water appear to repel other substances. This effect only lasts for a split second before the molecules disperse and the water can mix with other substances.

2. Why does water repel some substances but not others?

Water's ability to repel certain substances is dependent on the polarity of those substances. This means that if the substance has a similar polarity to water, it will mix and dissolve easily. However, if the substance has a different polarity, such as oil, it will be repelled by the water and not mix.

3. Can water ever fully repel substances?

No, water can never fully repel substances. While it may appear to repel substances for a split second due to surface tension, eventually the molecules will mix and the substances will dissolve in the water. Water is a universal solvent, meaning it has the ability to dissolve a wide variety of substances.

4. Does water always repel for a split second?

Not necessarily. The ability of water to repel for a split second is dependent on a few factors such as the surface tension of the water, the polarity of the substances, and the amount of force applied. In some cases, the water may not have enough surface tension to create the repelling effect, or the substances may be able to overcome the repelling force due to a stronger force being applied.

5. How does the repelling effect of water affect everyday objects?

The repelling effect of water can have various effects on everyday objects. For example, it is what allows certain insects to walk on water, as well as what causes water droplets to form on certain surfaces. It can also impact the effectiveness of cleaning products and the ability of plants to absorb water through their roots.