Proving Entropy→0 as Temperature→0

• Thread starter angel 42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the problem is to prove that the entropy goes to zero as the temperature goes to zero, using the equation segma= -(omega+meo*average{N} -U}/kT. The attempt at a solution was to take the limit of segma for T=>0 and change the variables on the right-hand side as a function of T, but it did not work. The poster is looking for help or hints in solving this problem and has provided some resources that may be helpful.
angel 42

Homework Statement

hi, I have this problem that sounds easy (at least I hope so) the question is prove that the entropy goes to zero as the temperature goes to zero

Homework Equations

segma= -(omega+meo*average{N} -U}/kT

segma=the entropy
omega=grand canonical ensemble partition function
meo=the chemical potential
U=the internal energy
k=boltzman constant
T=the temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

I usually use this information (segma=>0 when T=>0) to answer other problems, but here I have to prove it. I thought of taking the limit of segma forT=>0, and change the variabels on the RHS as a function of T, then solve it, but it didn't work:frown:, I have 3 more days before I hand it over, and I'm revising for another exam :cry:. if anyone can give me a hint or know a website can help (I allready search), please do and I'll be thankfull.

Physics news on Phys.org
This might be helpful:
www.physics.unc.edu/classes/fall2006/phys100-001/HawChengLecture.pdf[/URL]

Another suggestion:
[url]http://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0609047[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for trying to help chronos, but those doesn't involve the grand canonical ensemble partition function, although I still believe that taking the limit of the entropy at T=>0 will solve it,I think it's just math works, where I have to change:

averageN= {V/lamda^3) EXP(meo/kT)

omega= -kT {V/lamda^3} EXP(meo/kT)

but I couldn't have the answer?

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the amount of energy that is not available for work in a system.

2. How does temperature affect entropy?

As temperature increases, the amount of disorder or randomness in a system also increases, leading to an increase in entropy. As temperature decreases, the amount of disorder decreases, resulting in a decrease in entropy.

3. Why does entropy approach zero as temperature approaches zero?

This is due to the Third Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero. As temperature approaches zero, the amount of disorder in the system decreases, eventually reaching zero at absolute zero temperature.

4. How is the relationship between entropy and temperature mathematically expressed?

The relationship between entropy and temperature is expressed as S = k ln(W), where S is the entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates or possible arrangements of the system at a given temperature.

5. What is the significance of proving entropy→0 as temperature→0?

The significance of this proof is that it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of matter at low temperatures. It also supports the Third Law of Thermodynamics and helps explain the behavior of materials at absolute zero temperature, which is crucial in fields such as cryogenics and quantum physics.