How does the number of paper clips attached to the cart affect acceleration?

In summary, the problem is asking for the acceleration of a cart with a certain number of paper clips attached, and how this relates to the slope of a ramp. The given information includes the slope of the acceleration graph and the number of clips needed for equilibrium on the ramp slope graph. Using constant acceleration equations, a possible solution is found by multiplying the acceleration per clip by the number of clips needed for equilibrium, resulting in 1062 cm/s^2. The cart's mass of 57 clips is then subtracted from this to find an acceleration of 36 cm/s^2 without the extra mass of clips.
benzene

Homework Statement

If the slope of a graph of the acceleration of a cart vs. the number of paper clips attached by a string and suspended over a pulley is ( 20 cm/s2) / clip, and if the slope of a graph of number of paper clips needed to maintain equilibrium vs. ramp slope is 47 clips / unit of ramp slope, then how many cm/s2 of acceleration should correspond to 1 unit of ramp slope? If 52 clips are necessary to match the mass of the cart, then if we could apply this force to the cart without the extra mass of all those clips, what would be the acceleration of the cart?

Homework Equations

I was thinking of using maybe one of the constant acceleration equations.
v = v0 + a t
x = x0 + v 0 t + 1/2 a t ^ 2
v ^ 2 = v 0 ^ 2 + 2 a ( x - x 0 )
avg v = ( v+ v 0 ) / 2

v = velocity
v 0 = initial velocity
a = acceleration
t = time ( seconds )
x0 = initial position
x = position

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely confused with this question. I have put in over 10 hours, and tried to find out help all over the internet. I am looking for a lot more than just the answer, because I want to learn this stuff. If someone could walk me through this I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is something I worked out earlier, can I get some feedback.

If you get 18cm/s^2 of acceleration per clip and you get equilibrium per unit of slope for 59 clips it seems reasonable that a unit of slope produces:

18 * 59 cm/s^2 = 1062 cm/s^2

The cart has a mass of 57 clips so the difference is 2 clips? 2 * 18 = 36 cm/s^2 ?

1. What is acceleration through slope?

Acceleration through slope is the change in velocity over time, represented by a straight line on a velocity-time graph. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

2. How is acceleration through slope calculated?

To calculate acceleration through slope, you divide the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented as the slope of a line on a velocity-time graph.

3. What is the significance of a positive or negative slope in acceleration through slope?

A positive slope represents an increase in velocity over time, indicating that an object is accelerating. A negative slope represents a decrease in velocity over time, indicating that an object is decelerating or slowing down.

4. How does acceleration through slope relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Acceleration through slope is directly related to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The greater the net force, the larger the acceleration, and the smaller the mass, the larger the acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration through slope?

Some real-life examples of acceleration through slope include a car accelerating from a stop, a skydiver falling towards the ground, or a roller coaster speeding up as it goes down a hill. Any object that experiences a change in velocity over time can be represented by a velocity-time graph and can be analyzed using acceleration through slope.