Solve Free-Fall Problem: Hot Air Balloon & Package t=2.26/2.49s

• Thread starter chemguy990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Free-fall
In summary, a hot air balloon releasing a package at 25 m above ground will take approximately 2.26 seconds to reach the ground if the balloon is traveling vertically upward at 2.2 m/s. The upward movement of the balloon will impact the time that the package is in the air, and the package will initially have the same velocity as the balloon before gravity causes it to slow down and then speed up on its way down. This can be seen in examples such as a jet dropping a bomb or a cart shooting a ball vertically. The perception that the ball is immediately going in the downward direction is due to using the balloon as a frame of reference rather than the ground.
chemguy990

Homework Statement

hot air balloon traveling vertically upward at 2.2 m/s. at 25 m above ground, releases a package. Solve for t.

Homework Equations

d=v(initial)t + 0.5(a)t2

The Attempt at a Solution

25m = [0.0 m/s(t)] + ½(9.8m/s2)t2
25/4.9 = t2
t=2.26 seconds

My question is, does the upward movement of the balloon impact the time that the package is in the air? If so, would it be:

25 = -2.2t +0.5(9.8)t2
t= 2.49 seconds

Physics news on Phys.org
chemguy990 said:
My question is, does the upward movement of the balloon impact the time that the package is in the air? If so, would it be:

25 = -2.2t +0.5(9.8)t2
t= 2.49 seconds
Absolutely. The fact that the package was riding with the balloon tells you its initial velocity.

Yes, (your second attempt, although I didn't check the arithmetic)
The ball would initially be moving at the same velocity as the air balloon all though gravity would immediately cause it to slow down to a stop, then to speed up on its way down. For some examples to help you get this concept down, consider a jet dropping a bomb - the bomb initially has the same forward velocity as the jet - it doesn't simply fall straight down from the point of release. Instead, it follows a parabolic path (ignoring air resistance and the curvature of the earth.) Another example would be to drop a dense object out the window of a moving car (at not too high of a speed such that air resistance becomes a huge factor.) The object will remain beside the drivers door while it falls to the ground.
For another example, see this video of a cart shooting a ball vertically (with respect to the cart) - notice that the horizontal velocity of the ball is the same as the horizontal velocity of the cart at the moment it leaves the cart.
http://www.physics.umd.edu/lecdem/services/demos/demosc2/c2-25.htm

edit: (Wow, I'm slow! DocAl is too quick for me.)

What would trick people into thinking that the ball being dropped from the balloon is immediately going in the downward direction is simply because they're using the balloon as a frame of reference, rather than the ground. Plus, the low velocity of the balloon means the ball will reach a velocity of 0 m/s in only about a fifth of a second. If it were a piece separating from a rocket at a high velocity, it might be more noticeable that with respect to the ground, the piece continues moving vertically upward until it slows to a stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for solving a free-fall problem with a hot air balloon and package at a given time?

The formula for solving a free-fall problem with a hot air balloon and package at a given time is: distance = 0.5 * acceleration due to gravity * time^2.

2. How do I calculate the acceleration due to gravity in this problem?

The acceleration due to gravity in this problem can be calculated using the formula: acceleration due to gravity = 9.8 m/s^2.

3. How do I determine the distance traveled by the package in this free-fall problem?

The distance traveled by the package in this free-fall problem can be determined by plugging in the given time (2.26/2.49s) into the formula: distance = 0.5 * acceleration due to gravity * time^2.

4. Is there any other information needed to solve this free-fall problem?

Yes, in order to solve this free-fall problem, you will also need to know the initial velocity of the package and the initial height of the hot air balloon.

5. Can this formula be applied to other free-fall problems?

Yes, this formula can be applied to other free-fall problems as long as the acceleration due to gravity and the initial conditions (velocity and height) are known.