Moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis

In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia of a sphere with a thin coating of lead, given its uniform density and radius. The volume and surface area of a sphere are used to calculate the mass of the sphere and the lead coating. The moment of inertia formula for a spherical shell is used to find the moment of inertia for the lead coating, and the moment of inertia formula for a solid sphere is used for the sphere itself. These two values are then added together to get the final moment of inertia.
azila

Homework Statement

A sphere consists of a solid wooden ball of uniform density 800 kg/m^3 and radius .20 m and is covered with a thin coating of lead full with area density 20 kg/m^2.

A. calculate the moment of inertia of this sphere about an axis through the center.

Homework Equations

For a sphere: I = (2/5)MR^2
Volume of a sphere: (4/3)pir^3
Area of a sphere: 4pir^2
D = m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, So this is what I did. I don't know the mass, so I have to find the mass through the density. So, for the uniform sphere itself, I did 800 kg/m^3 * (the volume of a sphere) and got the mass of the sphere without the lead covering to be 26.8083. Then I did the lead covering, I did 20 kg/m^2 * (volume of the sphere) and got 10.0531. So then, I added 26.8083 + 10.0531 and got 36.86. I then plugged this mass into the equation of inertia: I= (2/5)(36.86) (.20 (radius))^2 and got .590. However, that is not the answer. So if someone can tell me where I am going wrong, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
the lead covering is a spherical shell, not a sphere! so you need the volume of the spherical shell... so how thin is that coating?
EDIT: oh hang on, they give you the area density so... you just assume it is infinitesimally thin and just need surface area.

but how would I calculate the volume of the spherical shell??

i am only given a area density for the shell...so how would i calculate the volume??

I ;ve edited my original post already before your replies.

i did calculate the surface area of the lead covering to be 10.0531. But when I combined the masses, and used the moment of inertia equation it didn't work. What am i doing wrong?

there is a separate formula for moment of inertial for a spherical shell
the problem here is that you no longer have uniform density as soon as you add in the lead layer...

so...like would i do the I= MR^2 for the shell and the I=(2/5)MR^2 for the sphere and add them together... I am so stressed because I just can't seem to solve the problem..Please help. Thanks .

since you seem to have the correct answer given to compare, just try it and see. by the way the moment of inertial of a spherical shell is NOT I=MR^2
look it up or dervie it!

What is the moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis?

The moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion about that axis. It takes into account both the mass and distribution of mass of the sphere.

How is the moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis calculated?

The moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5)mr^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius of the sphere.

What is the significance of the moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis?

The moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it is used to calculate the angular acceleration of a sphere when subjected to a torque. It also helps in understanding the behavior of objects in rotational motion.

How does the moment of inertia of a sphere change with the change in axis of rotation?

The moment of inertia of a sphere changes with the change in axis of rotation. The moment of inertia will be larger when the axis of rotation passes through the center of the sphere, and smaller when the axis of rotation is closer to the surface of the sphere.

Can the moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the resistance to rotation. If the calculated moment of inertia is negative, it indicates an error in the calculation.