Young's Modulus of Simply Supported Beam: Is it True?

• Thread starter mahima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the conversation discusses the young's modulus of a simply supported beam, which is given by the formula E = (11/768)*(WL^3)/(I*Y). The participants question the validity of this equation and suggest it may involve unit conversions. There are also concerns about the force location and type, as well as the purpose of the equation.
mahima
The young's modulus of a simply supported beam is given as E= (11/768)*(WL^3)/(I*Y)...
where W=Weight of the load
L=Length of the beam
I=Moment of inertia
Y=Deflection

Is this true?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to explain the 11/768. I have a suspicion it is for unit conversions. It would be helpful if you explained. You also mention nothing of the force location or type, i.e. concentrated or distributed. There are a lot of beam equations out there for the scenario you describe.

Well, it could be. I got to admit 11/768 is a little strange looking. But, this could be something near 5/386. So, 3 questions?
Is y the MAXIMUM deflection?
Where are you measuring y?
Where is the load?
I don't think I've ever seen the equation re-arranged like this in order to determine E. Are you doing an experiment?

1. What is Young's Modulus of a simply supported beam?

Young's Modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is the ratio of stress to strain within the elastic limit of a material. In the case of a simply supported beam, it refers to the amount of force required to cause a unit of strain (or deformation) in the beam.

2. How is Young's Modulus calculated for a simply supported beam?

The formula for calculating Young's Modulus for a simply supported beam is E = (F * L^3) / (4 * w * d^3), where E is the modulus of elasticity, F is the force applied to the beam, L is the length of the beam, w is the width of the beam, and d is the depth of the beam.

3. Is Young's Modulus the same for all materials?

No, Young's Modulus varies for different materials. It depends on the type of material, its structure, and its composition. For example, steel has a higher Young's Modulus compared to rubber because it is a stronger and stiffer material.

4. Why is Young's Modulus important for simply supported beams?

Young's Modulus is important for simply supported beams because it helps determine the strength and stability of the beam. It also helps engineers and designers select the appropriate materials for construction and ensure the beam can withstand the expected loads and forces.

5. Can Young's Modulus change over time for a simply supported beam?

Yes, Young's Modulus can change over time for a simply supported beam. This is due to various factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to external forces. It is important to regularly monitor and test the beam's Young's Modulus to ensure its structural integrity.