Finding the Equation for the Plane of Equidistant Points: Solving for b and c

• Thread starter Mary89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipsoid
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation for a plane that is equidistant from two given points. The suggested method involves finding the midpoint and constructing a normal and a point on the plane. The equation for an ellipsoid is also mentioned as a possible solution.
Mary89

Homework Statement

Find an equation for the plane consisting of all points that are equidistant from the points

(1,0,-2) and (3,4,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the midpoint ant (4, 4, -2), which I believe is the center. However, I have no idea on how to find a b and c. So that my equation looks like an ellipsoid... Help pleaseee

Physics news on Phys.org
It asks for a the equation of a plane. I'd try to find a plane -- which does not have a centre. Remember all the different ways to specify a plane in 3D? Remember the one about a normal and a point on the plane? How might you construct the normal to the plane and a point on it?

As to your question, the ellipsoid would be the set of points such that the sum of the distance from a point on the ellipsoid to one of the given points and the distance from that point of the ellipsoid to the other given point is constant. Your points (1,0,-2) and (3,4,0) would be the foci of the ellipsoid.

For the problem, the plane would pass through the midpoint (4, 4, -2)/2 = (2, 2, -1) [you need to divide by 2], so that the points (1,0,-2) and (3,4,0) would look like reflections of each other in a mirror. genneth's questions suggest how you would arrange that.

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a stretched or compressed sphere. It is defined by three radii, known as semi-major axis, semi-minor axis, and semi-intermediate axis.

2. How do I determine if a shape is an ellipsoid?

To determine if a shape is an ellipsoid, you can measure its three axes and see if they are equal or different from each other. If they are different, it is likely an ellipsoid. You can also compare the shape to a known ellipsoid or use mathematical equations to confirm its shape.

3. What are some real-life examples of ellipsoids?

Ellipsoids can be found in many natural and man-made objects, such as planets, eggs, water droplets, rugby balls, and even some buildings and sculptures. They are also commonly used in engineering and geodesy to model the shape of the Earth and other celestial bodies.

4. What are the applications of studying ellipsoids?

Studying ellipsoids has various applications in different fields. In geodesy, ellipsoids are used to model the shape of the Earth and to calculate precise locations on its surface. In physics, they are used to describe the shape and motion of objects in space. In engineering, ellipsoids are used to design and manufacture objects with specific shapes and dimensions.

5. Can an object be partially an ellipsoid?

Yes, an object can have some characteristics of an ellipsoid, such as an elongated shape, but not fully conform to its definition and mathematical equations. In this case, it can be considered a spheroid or an oblate spheroid, depending on how closely it resembles an ellipsoid.